'95 R Assy.

TXRickC

Established Member
The special high-performance 351 engines utilizing cast-iron Cobra heads and intake manifold, as well as a healthy roller camshaft, were built at the Windsor, Canada, engine facility. All 250 were built on February 19, 1995 in a period of only 6.2 hours.

:thumbsup:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
TXSVTLIGHTNING said:
:thumbsup:

What was Roush Technologies part in the 95R engine assy.? Did they oversee the build at the Ford Windsor plant? At some point these 250+ 351's were shipped to Roush Technologies for hot testing?

R

95R#177

Established Member
Lets get a few things straight. The engines were NOT built with a roller cam, it was a flat tappet camshaft. Once completed at the Windsor plant, they were sent to Roush for header installation and hot testing only. I know first hand about the camshaft because I've installed a roller in mine.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
95R#177 said:
Lets get a few things straight. The engines were NOT built with a roller cam, it was a flat tappet camshaft. Once completed at the Windsor plant, they were sent to Roush for header installation and hot testing only. I know first hand about the camshaft because I've installed a roller in mine.

I was thinking some of that discription did not sound right. I think there were a few more than 250 engine assy's built also, for spares/back-ups, weren't there? or were they assembled "after the fact" for race support?

R

Last edited:

TXRickC

Established Member
just copy/paste from an old 5.0 Mustang article on their website (has the pic of all the motors lined up)

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Just to give you guys some insider info, the 351 in our cars was designed and put together by Roush. After they met their goals, the motors were produced at the windsor plant and put together, then shipped to Roush for hot testing. Ford's SVT dept. designed the Lightning 351 and were pretty dissapointed when they came up short compared to what Roush did with the R motor.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
94 Cobra R said:
Just to give you guys some insider info, the 351 in our cars was designed and put together by Roush. After they met their goals, the motors were produced at the windsor plant and put together, then shipped to Roush for hot testing. Ford's SVT dept. designed the Lightning 351 and were pretty dissapointed when they came up short compared to what Roush did with the R motor.

Jimmy, Are you still alive?! I thought that the 95R 351 was put together by Roush, but was not positive. So the extra "after 250 count" were assembled at the Windsor plant?

Are you going to be at S.S.?

R

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Robert, I've been around. Just busy and stuff. I do like to poke my ugly head in here every once in awhile! I will indeed be at SS....I will never miss that show! As for the motors, they were actually assembled in Windsor. The prototype motors were made by Roush. After it was put together and finalized, Windsor took over the production. There weren't that many extra made. (especially since the last known extra is in my car :) )

Bret,
No hard evidence that I'm aware of. Just happen to know people that were in on the R design and build.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
94 Cobra R said:
Robert, I've been around. Just busy and stuff. I do like to poke my ugly head in here every once in awhile! I will indeed be at SS....I will never miss that show! As for the motors, they were actually assembled in Windsor. The prototype motors were made by Roush. After it was put together and finalized, Windsor took over the production. There weren't that many extra made. (especially since the last known extra is in my car :) )

Bret,
No hard evidence that I'm aware of. Just happen to know people that were in on the R design and build.

I'll catch up with you at SS.

R

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Hey Robert,
I hate to say this, but I think my wife or myself might have thrown out the envelope with all that good documentation in it. How much for another copy? :(

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
94 Cobra R said:
Hey Robert,
I hate to say this, but I think my wife or myself might have thrown out the envelope with all that good documentation in it. How much for another copy? :(

That 95R Dearborn plant documentation is currently in storage, we are in the middle of selling our house. I might have one extra copy here at the house. I will let you know.

R

93SVTCobra

Established Member
94 Cobra R said:

SVT didn't design the first gen Lightning or it's motor. Your source is wrong.

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
Sorry, Mark. My source is right. He was on the design team. So unless he's been lying for over 15 years, I think he's right :). Trust me Mark, I've been in the business a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread