95R RADIATOR CAP

davej

Established Member
Does anyone know where or anyone who would have a radiator cap for my 95 R?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
That is unobtanium. The last ones I saw sell were years ago and went for $200 as I recall. I don't have a recommendation or alternative for you. Hopefully someone can help.

Tom

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
That's gotta work. I found an identical cap lying in the dirt at the local Pick Your Part...it's just a regular Ford cap but has the special screenprinted plate with crossed flags. Hope you found what you needed.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Here are some pictures showing the Gates cap to an R cap. They are very similar in overall appearance and size. I did test fit the Gates cap and brought the car up to temperature and it did hold pressure. I got this off of ebay for a few dollars. Not a bad idea to have an extra or two laying around. Tom

DSCN0645.JPG
DSCN0646.JPG
DSCN0647.JPG
DSCN0648.JPG
DSCN0649.JPG
DSCN0650.JPG

davej

Established Member
Well ever since I have removed the original cap I still have the coolant smell issue. I suspect the cap is not sealing. No obvious leaks. been under and over the car

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Well ever since I have removed the original cap I still have the coolant smell issue. I suspect the cap is not sealing. No obvious leaks. been under and over the car

Well, since I did the above photos my stupid OEM cap isn't sealing. I see a small faint stream of coolant going down the neck of the radiator. Hopefully, it will seal again one day. So, the lesson is NEVER remove that cap!

Tom

davej

Established Member
Well the radiator cap suggested worked ,can someone go over the burp procedure on my 95 r I am going to change the coolant. Thanks in advance

decipha

Established Member
same as any other

what i do is put the front of the car higher up use ramps if you must and as you fill pinch the bottom of the radiator hose to get as much air out as you can.

youll hear the bypass rattle in the thermostat each time you pinch the hose if all the air is mostly out

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Well the radiator cap suggested worked ,can someone go over the burp procedure on my 95 r I am going to change the coolant. Thanks in advance

If you have a true 95R system nothing to worry about. Leave the cap on the radiator in place. If it isn't the one with the crossed flags, take it off and confirm it is a BYPASS cap and doesn't have a spring in it. Fill the system through the degas bottle I go until the degas has a small amount in the bottom and done.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread