96, 97 or 98

CobraLife

Established Member
they are all basically the same. 96 has diff hood. just some little things. same amount of ponies(305).

Blown Venom

Custom Title Goes Here
Established Member
96 had a honeycomb grille and a overheating problem otherwise pretty much the same as a 97. The 98 had better wheels, no dash pod clock or console ashytray. Instead it had two cupholders. I know the 98 gts lost their strut brace, not sure if the cobra did too.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
I say go 97-98
I am paying for the 96 Heating problem

If you like the saddle interior tho, and heating you dont mind paying for (I didnt realize there was a problem till after i bought it) then go with the 96. I like how the 96 has the 2 tone tan in the car, black on top saddle bottom

98s also have the better IMRC plates

SnkBitPny

Established Member
You would probably be happiest to go ahead and search for a '98. Damn good year for the cobra. Plenty of time to work out a lot of the 4.6 bugs, but still has a solid rear-end.

RedVenom96

Banned
CobraLife said:
they are all basically the same. 96 has diff hood. just some little things. same amount of ponies(305).

a different hood?? well i've owned a 98 and a 96 and they had the same hood. things i've noticed are the tower brace, the pod, the cup holders, honeycomb grill and the HEAT :nonono: nothing a little ac can't fix :-D

p.s.-i know this is off topic, but has anyone removed their honeycomb in thier 96?? was it a pain??

Last edited:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
Umm i think mine is worse :(

I blew my radiator from overheating, and there was coolant everywhere. :(
Ouch lol, I was running past the L or NORMAL, now with the rad and stat (180) I still run M so i was like what the hell, its not ment to be cool lol

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
The fuel system is different on a 98...they also use a larger fuel pump.

Blown Venom

Custom Title Goes Here
Established Member
RedVenom96 said:
p.s.-i know this is off topic, but has anyone removed their honeycomb in thier 96?? was it a pain??

Pulling out that honeycomb crap was the first thing I did. Takes two minutes, just have to be aggressive with it. It has tabs, push the edges to find where it "sticks" and push hard on those areas towards the motors. Really simple. :thumbsup:

RedVenom96

Banned
Blown Venom said:
Pulling out that honeycomb crap was the first thing I did. Takes two minutes, just have to be aggressive with it. It has tabs, push the edges to find where it "sticks" and push hard on those areas towards the motors. Really simple. :thumbsup:

thanks man i hate that thing. thinking about going with a billett grill, but not sure if it is too ricey?? might go with nothing at all like my 98 :shrug:
will i be able to leave the snake on there???

timk

Established Member
i have a '96 convertible, 68,000mi, and i have no trouble with overheating here in 90+ st. louis summer days....is it a car-by-car thing?

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
I've had a 96 and a 97 and have worked very closely on a certain blk98 to know there are quite a few differences between the years. Like early 96s(made in 95) have bigger headrests, underhood light, little gills behind the sidescoops, different size numbering in the odometer(the actual mileage counter), and the honeycomb grills. The early 97s have a different sticker tag on the engine(as well as all 96s), no gills behind the sidescoops, no big headrests. The late 97s got the 98 plaque style tag on the engine. And the 98s are the most different of them all with cupholders instead of ash trays, different rims, different exhaust hangers, different size fuel filter, different tune, firewall, IMRC plates, no STB, no clock pod, and I'm pretty sure that's about all of it.

Users who are viewing this thread