96-98 cams.

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
Todd!!! I think I found out where I lost HP! I went over the engine build in my head step by step and realized that in trying to be anal about everything, I reversed crank direction in my head and actually retarded the 98 cobra cams. I used slighltly smaller keys (about 5mm) and thought I advanced them, but, actually retarded them as far as possible in the keyway. I'll advance them this weekend. I'm curious as to what the hp loss would be doing that. Dynoed 288rwhp w/4R70W.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Todd!!! I think I found out where I lost HP! I went over the engine build in my head step by step and realized that in trying to be anal about everything, I reversed crank direction in my head and actually retarded the 98 cobra cams. I used slighltly smaller keys (about 5mm) and thought I advanced them, but, actually retarded them as far as possible in the keyway. I'll advance them this weekend. I'm curious as to what the hp loss would be doing that. Dynoed 288rwhp w/4R70W.

I'd set the intake cams at 106 (with an auto trans). What did it dyno with stock cams?

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
261rwhp. That was with the original Marauder WAP block with 128k on it. Just external mods. This new dyno (288rwhp) was with a new 04 iron cobra block, completely forged rotating assembly,98 Cobra cams, 10.5:1cr, 04 Mach 1 heads polished and ported, valve job, 65mm Dual BBK, port matched/polished upper plenum and repaired NAZ PSRI. Shorty headers and full Cobra exhaust now too. She's running slightly leanat times and I have the fuel maxed on my SCT.

DYNO2010_1 - Mercury Marauder.Net Photo Gallery

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
261rwhp. That was with the original Marauder WAP block with 128k on it. Just external mods. This new dyno (288rwhp) was with a new 04 iron cobra block, completely forged rotating assembly,98 Cobra cams, 10.5:1cr, 04 Mach 1 heads polished and ported, valve job, 65mm Dual BBK, port matched/polished upper plenum and repaired NAZ PSRI. Shorty headers and full Cobra exhaust now too. She's running slightly leanat times and I have the fuel maxed on my SCT.

I'm not a big fan of putting a short runner intake on a heavy, automatic trans combo. A stock runner length ported intake and 96-98 cams advanced a a bunch would make a lot of torque and provide great driveability.

Also, are you tuning with the handheld SCT? If so, you're giving up a lot of power.

Last edited:

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
I have the original lower plenum back on right now. I port matched the intake runners and just cleaned the casting flaws. Got my low end torque back. I'll readjust the cams this weekend and see what happens. How much do you think I lost? I know this combo should have a lot more! Yes, the handheld... Thinking of Pro Racer package. My dyno guy (Protree Performance) is about a 1/4 mile from me. I take care of all his computers and he owes me. I just wanted to get the hardware (engine) proper before I do more on the software end.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I have the original lower plenum back on right now. I port matched the intake runners and just cleaned the casting flaws. Got my low end torque back. I'll readjust the cams this weekend and see what happens. How much do you think I lost? I know this combo should have a lot more! .

Depending on where the cams are (LCs) it could be down 20 or more rwhp. Add to it the amount lost in tunign with the handheld and the total could be more than 30rwhp.

A combo with ported heads a fully needs a ported intake. The reason is that the intake flows less than the heads in stock form, so adding higher flowing heads only creates more of a bottleneck in the intake.

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
Should I fully port the plenum runners or just leave it port matched/polished at the opening/outlets?

(Sorry about the thread hijack! It is still very 98 Cobra cam related!) :)

Last edited:

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
Or maybe just a P1SC and the NAZtake? :banana: I'm definitely getting her sc'd in the near future so it may not be worth it to do to much with the stocker. Agree??? Thanks for your expert advice and knowledge btw Todd! :beer:

This comes in handy to visualize opening and closing events when changing LC: http://classictiger.com/mustang/CamChart/CamChartCandDr1.htm

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Or maybe just a P1SC and the NAZtake? :banana: I'm definitely getting her sc'd in the near future so it may not be worth it to do to much with the stocker. Agree??? Thanks for your expert advice and knowledge btw Todd! :beer:

This comes in handy to visualize opening and closing events when changing LC: CamChart

a p1sc and ported stock intake would be a much better combo for a heavy, autmnatic trans vehicle.

clc44

Established Member
I was thinking about doing this as well, NA SVT do you keep a few 98 cobra intake cams lying around? I may be interested down the road. Also why does tuning with an SCT hand held hurt? I will be purchasing one and getting someone to tune my car with it (professional tuner that is)

Users who are viewing this thread