96 Cobra with possible blown head gasket

2002stang

Established Member
I am looking at getting a 96 one owner Cobra. Older guy has it. Bought it new and not one single mod. Car is clean. He said over heated one day and he thinks head gasket and not moved since. 145k miles. Everything else is good. I can get for $1800. I'm new to the sn95 cobras. Is it worth it for the 1800? or will repairs take this over what car is worth? Thanks. Any advice or other things to look for on a 96 cobra?

98SVTContour98

Established Member
I'm not sure what all "could be" wrong with it, BUT, even IF the entire motor was blown, $1800 wouldn't be a bad deal if the trans and all other things are good to go....maybe someone else can comment who has a little more experience than I do.

2002stang

Established Member
I'm not sure what all "could be" wrong with it, BUT, even IF the entire motor was blown, $1800 wouldn't be a bad deal if the trans and all other things are good to go....maybe someone else can comment who has a little more experience than I do.
That's what my thoughts are. A clean one owner never modded cobra has to be worth that. I'll post up if I get it

2002stang

Established Member
Car was a shit box. Interior was destroyed, Pai t was destroyed, he thinks heads are bad now also. Wasted 4 hours going to see it. You would basically need to redo entire car from top to bottom

cbr repsol

Established Member
Well you have to look at it to really find out.
At least you tried.
I went to look at a car on craigslist one time.
Wasted about 3 hours of my time round trip.
It was a fake address, no car.

2002stang

Established Member
Yeah I didn't mind. Def was not as described but that's the gamble with Craigslist

96GT226410

Established Member
Was this in Poughkeepsi, NY? A black 96 Cobra? I was going to look at it on Saturday and this could save me a trip. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread