96' Procharged Cobra "Casper" Build

01silverstang

Established Member
Ordered the catch can setup 96Dreamer suggested, couldn't find anything else I liked better as a kit... especially not that had a breather. I just don't like the idea of the valve covers not venting pressure. The AN lines will look nice as well in the engine bay.

01silverstang

Established Member
E06555-C1-B22-C-4-B90-8-FB8-9703-A7-AF4-A1-D.jpg

3-D7-DC5-FD-225-A-4-D2-E-BBAE-4058-B115-BE71.jpg

F96-CDF17-2913-4807-9-C5-E-72-A64-CE749-E1.jpg

Ford Performance doesn’t mess around... largest box ever, thank god I didn’t order a shift knob... probably would have arrived freight on a pallet.

The emblem is hard plastic, not the soft emblem, as I said this is the same one I added to my 97’ which was missing the emblem and will look a lot better than my current emblem.

01silverstang

Established Member

So found this... I’m assuming this was part of the EGR? Any suggestions on how to plug it?

Got two correct bolts for the IAC and a new gasket and it’s sealed up right now. Still need to clean the MAF just to check all my bases.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
So that's actually a plug in the throttle body, and it appears that it's leaking pretty badly. I'm not sure if there are threads in the TB or not, but it's not part of the EGR system.

So found this... I’m assuming this was part of the EGR? Any suggestions on how to plug it?

Got two correct bolts for the IAC and a new gasket and it’s sealed up right now. Still need to clean the MAF just to check all my bases.

Badaz01

Established Member
Y

You could possibly tap it out and thread a plug in it. Sort of like a set screw type with an Allen wrench.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1695849
View attachment 1695850
View attachment 1695851
Ford Performance doesn’t mess around... largest box ever, thank god I didn’t order a shift knob... probably would have arrived freight on a pallet.

The emblem is hard plastic, not the soft emblem, as I said this is the same one I added to my 97’ which was missing the emblem and will look a lot better than my current emblem.

Thanks for the pics. Yeah, that's definitely not the OEM piece. It will definitely work in a pinch though

01silverstang

Established Member
Thanks for the pics. Yeah, that's definitely not the OEM piece. It will definitely work in a pinch though
The one I have now is from a 99 Cobra and really looks out of place. I'm not trying to restore it to factory stock, but I would like the emblems to look more correct that what the previous owner did. I'll probably install tonight and post some pictures.

01silverstang

Established Member
So I haven’t gotten anything done, been too tired after getting my boys to bed in the evening to do anything.

I do have a couple questions though in preparation for fixing my vacuum leak...

Do you all think this Tap & Die set will be sufficient?

44-E71639-4993-4366-8314-769609-E1-BBFB.jpg

The hole measured 1/2 with a digital caliper, will the 1/2 inch tap work, or does the hole need to be slightly smaller? Haven’t had to tap a hole with no thread before?

Edit:

So this is interesting, looked down in the hole today and saw this:

B3-F7972-C-CF80-4252-A394-31-BCF1-A5-E12-A.jpg

What appears to be a rubber washer type piece at the bottom and threads down in the hole? If anyone has a stock throttle body sitting around and wouldn’t mind popping their cap off to take a look I’d appreciate it. Want to get this capped so I can move on to the transmission.

Last edited:

01silverstang

Established Member
So didn’t get much done yesterday as the bracket from Procharger for the passenger coil was not tapped, so I can’t bolt the coil to the bracket. They advised the holes should be 10-24 but that tap doesn’t thread through the factory bracket... so sick of determining bolt size and pitch.

On a better note I did get my new SVT emblem installed. Looking at pictures for reference it was kind of all over the place, used a trunk from a Mystic Cobra as reference. Even if it’s not perfect placement, I love it and think it really cleans up the look.

57-C8449-C-714-C-4776-8-E5-C-A00857-A888-EE.jpg

Still trying to determine why the plug exists on the throttle body and what is the correct bolt size and pitch to cap it. Menards was not helpful... I did discover after removing the throttle body that it was reinstalled at some point with no gasket, buying one today.

Last edited:

01silverstang

Established Member
Hope everyone had a good Easter, the weather here was absolutely phenomenal, 75 and sunny. Did Easter baskets and egg hunt for the kids in the morning, then went for a long walk, and sat on the deck doing some day drinking... which led to me telling myself to not be lazy and get something accomplished on Casper.

When I purchased the car the previous owner told me that the vehicle didn't shift. He claimed that a transmission shop told him he needed new synchros. The car has a TKO600, and it seemed unlikely to me that the synchros were trashed. The local club agreed, that the transmission was probably fine and suggested it could be a throw-out bearing seized to the input shaft. Upon deeper inspection I found the firewall adjustor was installed backwards. I checked under the car and the clutch cable was tightened at the very end. I had a hunch this was the problem.

Today I finally uninstalled the cable and reinstalled it correctly. I found that instead of the second nut being tightened against the first to lock it, one was installed on each side of the clutch fork... I used a prybar and tightened the cable to the half way point on the threaded end and fired it up, moment of truth. When I was able to shift into reverse with the engine on, I had a very good feeling. After driving it down the street and back effortlessly shifting through gears I was overjoyed.

We will ignore the fact that I forgot to plug in the passenger side coil, and was running on 4-cylinders lol. That was immediately corrected once I returned home. I'm still having an idle issue after cleaning the IAC, it know idles right around 1,000 rpm but every now and then it dips and almost stalls then goes back to normal. It's not the throttle body as I put a temporary rubber plug in the top hole. I did go ahead an order a new IAC as not only have you guys advised cleaning is a band aide, others have reported similar in different threads. I should be receiving the T-Bolt clamps I ordered and can finally get the intake installed correctly.

Man look at all that grey hair in the last picture... I need a vacation to a beach!

IMG-3893.jpg

IMG-3891.jpg

IMG-3892.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread