97 Cluster lighting

Makeout

Hi all, happy Friday. So my 97's gauge lights are on the dim side of things- kinda understanable for a 20+ year old car. I'm looking at those LED replacements. My question is what gives the factory lamps that green tint? I know with my Toyota experience some bulbs had a little colored "condom" over them. Is that what these use from the factory or is there like a screen/lens in front of the bulbs. Trying to figure this out before A) I buy anything B) Take apart, install, then still have "meh" for lights. Thanks in advance & have a great weekend.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Hi all, happy Friday. So my 97's gauge lights are on the dim side of things- kinda understanable for a 20+ year old car. I'm looking at those LED replacements. My question is what gives the factory lamps that green tint? I know with my Toyota experience some bulbs had a little colored "condom" over them. Is that what these use from the factory or is there like a screen/lens in front of the bulbs. Trying to figure this out before A) I buy anything B) Take apart, install, then still have "meh" for lights. Thanks in advance & have a great weekend.

The Yellow tint of the incandescent bulb behind the Blue tinted lens gives the lights a green color.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
I believe just like from the old days, Ford used a blue cover over the bulb. I have a 1986 F250 that has blueish covers over the 194's in the dash cluster to give it that green hue.

I saved this site long ago, and should hopefully give you a complete run through of everything you'll have to do:

Show us some pictures before and after if you can, i'm anxious to see!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I believe just like from the old days, Ford used a blue cover over the bulb. I have a 1986 F250 that has blueish covers over the 194's in the dash cluster to give it that green hue.

I saved this site long ago, and should hopefully give you a complete run through of everything you'll have to do:

Show us some pictures before and after if you can, i'm anxious to see!

No bulb covers on my 98. The coating on the lens is blue.
It even says it in the link you posted.

shurur

Established Member
Also iirc superwhite LEDs will make the guages blue...works up to the 99.

2001..different story.

Users who are viewing this thread