97 Cobra Advice

4VJosh

Established Member
Hello, I believe this is my first thread. So a little back story.

I’ve had numerous mustangs over the years, 2002 GT, 2000 V6, 92 LX, 96 GT, and (not really a mustang but) a 98 Lincoln Mark Viii. Which was used as a diner for my 4V swap. Which I sold all of them, and last to go was my 96 4V swapped GT in 14.

Needless to say I’ve had empty stables for 7 years now. So here’s where we pick the story up, and I’ll try to keep this long story short.

I own an exterior remodeling company and I was completely re-siding someone’s house when I spotted a mustang sitting next to the neighbors garage. At the end of the week I stopped over to ask the homeowner about it. It turned out to be a 97 Cobra, white coupe with tan leather interior, 5 spd.

She bought it new in 97, drove it for roughly 7k miles and it’s been sitting there ever since, with the occasional drive once or twice a year. It’s last state inspection was in 2016. So since then it has been stationary.

After a little more talking about the car, and doing my best to convince her NOT to try and start it, and asking her if she’d sell it, she said yes and her asking price is $23,500 FIRM!

She had mentioned that numerous people have made offers from $6,000 - $15,000 over the past 5 years and she’s declined them all. She said the only other possibility of letting it go would be trading the Cobra to me for a new roof on her house. Which honestly is a no brainer for me. I know what it’d cost me for materials, labor, and waste/trash removal. And it’s personally worth it, well worth it.

My main concerns are, with it sitting that long, what could be wrong with this thing internally?

What I can see wrong with it now is as follows.

I can see the brakes are rusted almost solid.

The paint has 2 plate sized rust spots on the roof, one on the right front fender, one on the rear quarter right below the small window, the paint is chipping along the leading edge of the spoiler, and the paint is chipping on the edges of both front fenders and the hood in the small gap.

It’s gonna need tires as they are cracked and dry rotted everywhere. All the belts and hoses are probably just as bad being rubber products as well. It will need a full tune up, fluids, suspension bushings, maybe shocks, Clutch and I can imagine much more to make sure it’s good/safe.

The major concern is the motor. Yeah the interior is mint, still smells new and has had seat covers on the fronts since day one and never had an ass in either back seats, the engine bay looks mint, paint is bad in the above mentioned spots.

And one more question, when I pick this thing up, is there anyone in the south central PA area interested in hanging out, drinking some brews and rebuilding a 4V mod motor if it needs it?

Sorry for the long post, I tried to keep it short, and it may sound repetitive, just pretty excited about this car. And I can’t get it off my mind.

boost88

Established Member
When was the last time it was driven or had the oil changed? You might be in for a long undergoing if it's that bad off.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

4VJosh

Established Member
The last time it was driven or started was I’m guessing 5 years ago.

It’s last inspection would’ve expired at the end of 17. So I’m sure it was driven during 17 as she said that when she said she had all the new tires put on it. But only put maybe 200 miles on them and parked it.

the reason she stopped driving it is because she can’t get in and out of it that easy. She drive a CRV.

Chip Schweiss

Established Member
Besides the obvious fluid changes all around, get a borescope so you can pull the plugs and inspect the cylinder walls.

If they have a light hazing of rust or less, you should be fine. Squirt some oil in each cylinder towards the high side to get the rings lubed.

Obviously, if they are heavily rusted, which I doubt they are, time for a rebuild.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
4 years isn't bad. My car sat for almost 10. It needed the brakes gone through, but that was about it other than the obvious stuff. Mine was stored outside under a car cover btw.
The inspection sticker on the windshield is from 2012.

A 7k mile car should be a great starting point. I'm a fan of the SN95s in white too, but not the peanut butter gut.
Let's see some pics!

Last edited:

4VJosh

Established Member
15F4AF32-6D55-4C6C-99A7-5D3923FB6CBC.jpeg
I’ll go get some pics when the snows gone.

it’s always been stored outside hence the paint issues.

but the internal inspection would definitely ease the mind.

And yes, the sn95 was and still is my favorite body Mustang. Idk why but it is.

Adower: that’s her cash price. She would give me the car for a new roof on her house. Which would cost me about $3300 with materials, labor and waste removal.

This is the best pic I have of it now, you can kinda see in it the small amount of paint correction needed on the upper rear quarter, to front fender and at the back of the drip rail on the roof. The whole passenger side is flawless as it’s more protected from the elements by the house.

4VJosh

Established Member
Either way, I want to thank all of you for your thoughts and input.

It does go a long way to help make this decision easier. As we all know, people can get “love drunk” or make decisions based on an emotion, rather than thinking out the practicality or long term investment involved. Which could in turn make this a very bad “trade” on my end.

I’ll keep you all posted on what comes of this. It may not be until spring, but I will update this thread with the end result.

thanks again.

jman37

Established Member
I'd look at it this way, if it would cost you say 3500 for the roof, but you'd have to sink 5k +/-into it maybe not.

I always see nice condition driveable sn95 cobra's from 7-9k. If you could snag one that needs nothing it would be worth it for you, unless you'd prefer to make a project of that one and have it out of commission for a while.

4VJosh

Established Member
Yeah I don’t mind making it a project.

I have 3 other vehicles including my motorcycle to use while this sits. Or while any project car sits for that matter.

This would be more of a “sentimental” thing. My daughter, who is now 14, grew up in my wife and my mustangs, and she wants a Mustang for her first car as well. Maybe I could give this to her... maybe.

My 4 year old son absolutely loves cars. His favorite hot wheel, that just sits on his dresser and never sees a track, just so happens to be a SN195.

So this would be something l could get to one, bring back some memories for my family, and make some more with the son.

I know both the kids would love it, and would love to help get it back in the road. And just listening to exhaust clips, and to old videos of ours, the wife says she misses them and would love to get another one.

so the whole family would enjoy it. Plus it’s more practical and all 4 of us would enjoy it, whereas my bike is only for me, and there’s nothing special about our F150 and Escape. They don’t make the go-fast noises.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd do it all day for sub $3500. Make sure you get a good look at the frame rails under the hood, as well as everything under the car. If that checks out, then I'd be all over it, like flies on shit.
And yes SN95 is the sexiest.

I AM reading your first post correctly right? It's a 1 owner car and has 7k miles?
I can't tell if its parked on a driveway, or in the grass. Looks like it is paved maybe?
Why has the car not moved since 2016?

4VJosh

Established Member
Yes one owner, 7k miles, parked on a paved surface, and she hasn’t drove it since 17 because she’s now like 67 years old and it’s too hard to get in and out of and drive.

yeah I’m gonna do it. Come spring when the weather gets better and melts all this snow.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Send it. It's worth the money and cars are almost always a passion of the heart anyways. Sounds like it's a family investment for you and it sitting outside in a paced surface that long isn't a big deal.

You're gonna replace most of the rusted/dry rotted stuff anyways as a regular course of action.

The body work will suck but as long as the metal is straight, it won't be too much at least compared to actually rust riddled cars.

4VJosh

Established Member
And the paint issues mentioned above, it’s not actually down to bare steel, it’s more like this generic google search photo.

so that’ll be pretty easy to fix I’m sure.

next week I will be back in the general area of this car. I’ll try and stop by one day and get some close up photos of its paint, underside, interior, etc.

It’s about 1-1/2 hours away from me so going there on a whim is kind of out of the way.

Attachments

• F53D8C84-0E26-425F-BF82-5C96F9BB05B8.jpeg
    F53D8C84-0E26-425F-BF82-5C96F9BB05B8.jpeg
    472 KB · Views: 104

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
And the paint issues mentioned above, it’s not actually down to bare steel, it’s more like this generic google search photo.

so that’ll be pretty easy to fix I’m sure.

next week I will be back in the general area of this car. I’ll try and stop by one day and get some close up photos of its paint, underside, interior, etc.

It’s about 1-1/2 hours away from me so going there on a whim is kind of out of the way.

That was a common issue with the white paint on most Fords of that era. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Im sure the engine is fine. Just do all the fluids, brakes etc and other maintenance items (filters).

4VJosh

Established Member
This is the paint flake on the rear quarter.

Again, not rusted through, nor is any rust showing. It’s the paint that flaked away down to the primer. This is not the cobra I’m talking about, just one I saw in an episode of live PD on YouTube. But the paint issue is identical.

Attachments

• 9A08046B-030D-4740-8DAF-9B6115EABC56.jpeg
    9A08046B-030D-4740-8DAF-9B6115EABC56.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 93

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah thats not a rust issue. That's a very common issue with the white on the Fords from that generation. Not sure if it was the primer or what. Again, not a rust issue though.

4VJosh

Established Member
So to sum this all up, I’m gonna go through with it. For a very low mileage, body at about 80% mint and interior 100% mint one owner car, I’d be a fool not to.

Any other 96-98 cobra I buy will have almost the same issues with basic maintenance repairs, but the paint/interior will be worse off as mileage will be higher. With mileage comes wear.

And for any other Cobra of this vintage, in my area they are ranging from $12k with 80-100k miles, $15-$18k with 30-40k miles, and I’ve seen one with 11k miles for $21k. So to pick up a 97 one owner 7k mile almost mint cobra, with just minor defects in the paint and basic maintenance for $3500, I’m waaaay ahead of the ball. Even if it needed internal engine work, such as bearings, rings and a good hone, I’d still be ahead of the ball. Maybe $10k into a $15-20k dollar Cobra.

This seems to be the best case scenario for a starting point for such an old car. But the end value doesn’t matter to me anyway, as once I get this, I’m never gonna let it go. I got rid of my other mustangs for 4wd vehicles and have regretted it ever since. And with multiple other “practical” vehicles, this can sit for the winters.

thanks everyone for both the good and bad options that I could be looking at with this thing. I’ll post up pics and stuff when I get it and get it running.

Users who are viewing this thread