98 Cobra dedicated track build thread

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
45970464095_6e27a7815a_k-jpg.1547112

I don't remember what a stock k-member looks like at the A-arm mount. Since you are putting a lot of stress on the chassis/suspension, do you think it would be worth while to box-in the outside of the mount?

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
45970464095_6e27a7815a_k-jpg.1547112

I don't remember what a stock k-member looks like at the A-arm mount. Since you are putting a lot of stress on the chassis/suspension, do you think it would be worth while to box-in the outside of the mount?

Eventually will be going to a MM k member so putting time and energy into this one isnt my top priority.

MM specifically states in their instructions to cut this out, if it was necessary they would have pointed it out so I'm thinking it will be just fine for now. If I have issues with it bending or flexing I may get a k member sooner than anticipated.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Looking good! You may not have this problem with the higher rate springs but I had an issue after hooking up the sway bar with the car not being on the ground. I found that hooking it up in the air put some preload on the suspension and messed with the ride height being uneven

Now I only hookup the sway bar if the car is on the ground.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
Ya you have to cut that piece out to run the MM A arms on the stock k member. I ran that setup on mine for a year before I got the full k member. The cross brace on the A arm will hit that area of the k member if you dont cut it out. I never had problems with mine and all aftermarket k members look like they just have tabs welded on for the A arm. If anything the stock piece is still more braced even after being trimmed.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Got the car back up in the air again today....

46176689544_7a2e285efb_k.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Previously I made a hacked version of a bump steer kit.... Needless to say it was horrible and I wasn't doing it 100% correct so I solved that issue.

46849470692_c0fda6505f_k.jpg

this process is very time consuming as setup is the most important piece. Car needs to be level in the air, brakes need to be tied off and away, sway bar needs to be removed, springs also removed to let the suspension travel freely.

46901547741_145d92b7f2_k.jpg

And of course logging everything makes for a good way to track your progress.

46901548131_345491085f_k.jpg
45986944585_e227254d91_k.jpg

In the end I stayed well under the recommended .020" of bump steer per inch of travel.

Next step is to go take the car to my welder friend and make a device to hold my weights. I am adding weight to bump into the TA-A class. After that is done I will go back to the alignment shop to get the car aligned to Maximum Motorsports specs they gave to me.

wkornf

Established Member
what hawk pad are you using I'm planning a track day and need to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, no. My experiences with Mustangs have not involved turning left or right. :)

I have used their stuff on other platforms. They have several offerings and fluid as well. Give them a call and they can give recommendations. Pads are inexpensive and consumable. Trial and error until you find what works best for the weight of the car and your driving style.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Unfortunately, no. My experiences with Mustangs have not involved turning left or right. :)

I have used their stuff on other platforms. They have several offerings and fluid as well. Give them a call and they can give recommendations. Pads are inexpensive and consumable. Trial and error until you find what works best for the weight of the car and your driving style.

221 for a pair of pads isn't horrible. might give them a shot after I finish off the ones that are on the car.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I plan on getting the 5121 pads for my '97 (the only street use pad they make). Looking to do a brake flush and SS lines also. I honestly don't remember what's on it now. I don't drive it much and I haven't had a problem with the brakes, they are just old and should be replaced for safety sake.

I hope you have a good experience with them.

MFE

Established Member
221 for a pair of pads isn't horrible. might give them a shot after I finish off the ones that are on the car.

I used Carbotech for years, and liked them, moving up from AX6 in the early days to XP10's and 12's. But after that, ST47's were a revelation and I'd never go back.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Spent a little time at the dyno day for classing this year. Last time I dyno'd it made 240. The car weighed in at 3500 so I was hoping to add some ballast weight to get my power to weight to 15 so I could compete in TA-A however it dyno'd at 255 this time around after the IRS was dropped in. The rules state only 250lbs of ballast weight so it looks like I need to put this thing on a diet and maybe add a few ponies.

I will probably do some bullies and an off road x pipe and see where that gets me. I have plenty of stuff to remove to lighten up the car.

Users who are viewing this thread