99/01 Cobra dyno numbers?? LIGHT bolt on

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I'm curious. I've been around stangs for a long time, but this is a new one on me.

Am I that ignorant on N/A New Edge cobra's to not believe that they put down 310rwhp/TQ with a simple O/R midpipe and catback? AND, that they put down 290 stock?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7376892&postcount=35

I'll eat crow if I'm that stupid....then again, if 310rwhp for two bolt ons is normal and I'm THAT lost.....I'll turn GM and 4get about mustangs. Cause that means I've learned nothing all these years.

BTW - I've searched dyno numbers..and I couldnt' find a SIMGLE member close to those numbers with the same mods.

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Is this to prove something about which car is better, the Mach or the 99/01 cobra? Kinda seems like the kind of question to stir things, no?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Is this to prove something about which car is better, the Mach or the 99/01 cobra? Kinda seems like the kind of question to stir things, no?

Actually no. Someone asked a question about the differences. I'll post the entire link if you want...but shorthand.

The cams for the 99-01 cobra's are ideal for better HP in the upper RPM and Machs are better for low to mid range TQ. It depends on what you want. Someone asked abotu the difference in power and I stated they are basically the same but a slight edge in power to the mach.

The above is the reply from an 01 cobra owner.

I didnt' start this for a 'N/A war/issue'. We all know there are plenty of those around. I even stated that I'll shut up and eat crow on the cobra's if I'm THAT far off on them. I would have posted in SD if I meant to stir the pot rediculously. I wanted feedback from the owners themselves if the numbers posted in the thread post above were accurate....that's all.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Well, I've never seen a Mach and a 99/01 cobra dyno'd side by side, but that does sound like the case. The cams are definitely different between the 2 types of cars. I wouldn't say that the Mach is more powerful, BUT it is definitely built better for the 1/4 with its 3.55 gears and solid rear. My car made 284lb/ft of torque stock at the rear wheels. Some cars are factory freaks, and some dyno's are liars. Hard to have a conversation like this in an uncontrolled environment.

It all comes down to what you want, no?

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Well, I've never seen a Mach and a 99/01 cobra dyno'd side by side, but that does sound like the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the question was whether or not anyone has seen an '01 Cobra make 310 rwhp with nothing but a mid-pipe and cat-back.

Simple question, and nothing to do with a Mach.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Stock you are looking at 265ish to the wheels, without a tune and with mid-pipe/cat back you might see 275.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the question was whether or not anyone has seen an '01 Cobra make 310 rwhp with nothing but a mid-pipe and cat-back.

Then the answer is no.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Stock you are looking at 265ish to the wheels, without a tune and with mid-pipe/cat back you might see 275.

Nope, perhaps with a 99 Cobra without the "fix"

The normal number should be 270-275 at the wheels stock.

With a catback and midpipe, they should be at 280-285.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

Exactly Ben. I understand the point of his post....lots of mach v. cobra stuff...but yes, you're correct, that's all I wanted to know.

That's what I thought....~280 with tune (pending tune). Certainly NOT 290 bone stock and 310 midpipe and CB.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Did he buy it new? Maybe the engine got worked over before he purchased it. Ported heads maybe.

Iluvatar

Txyaloo scares me
Established Member
I know these are numbers from a differnet car under different conditions but my 99 put down 286rwhp from cat back and tune only. Without headers I can't imagine picking up enough hp to make it to 310 from only exhaust mods.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
There are a lot of variables involved. SAE or Standard correction, when and how the dyno itself was calibrated and what type of dyno. My one buddy's 01 Cobra dyno'd 21 whp lower than it did on the same exact dyno 4 months earlier just because the shop recalibrated the thing. You really don't see many '99 or '01's going much past 300 whp with just bolt-ons. If you want to go past that you are looking at LT's, cams, port & polish or some sort of power adder.

Dynos are great for tuning and nut-swinging but other than that the real power test is your 1/4 mile trap speeds.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Hmmm, if i could scan my dyno sheet which is by the way from 2001 when the car was purchased, it dynoed a 277 HP and 283 tq STOCK, I honestly think that is very modest and now with the CAI, Catted X and LM1's i hope to be somewhere upwards of 290. If I can get my car on the dyno soon this question could be considered amswered, but the chances of me getting it dynoed soon, are very minimal.

I remember reading somewhere that the hyundai genesis has 368 hp with an engine equivolent to ours

Last edited:

Sny714

Established Member
I dont think 310 is possible with just midpipe and catback. Look at my numbers, and a new engine was put in 3 years ago, the motor only has around 20-25k miles, so I know its strong.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
Nope, perhaps with a 99 Cobra without the "fix"

The normal number should be 270-275 at the wheels stock.

With a catback and midpipe, they should be at 280-285.

That is about ball park. I can shed a little light on this. A few years back a buddy of mine and me went to have our cars dyno'd when they were still N/A. His 01 that was stock including the paper filter only had flowmaster mufflers and dyno'd right around 283 rwhp and my 04 Mach which had dyno max bullets, Dr gas off road x, k&n cold air kit and a diablo predator tune dyno'd 298rwhp. This was on a Superflow Dyno. The dyno graph did show that my car's torque curve was stronger lower and mid range and his motor's torque was made higher in the powerband.

Nazman

Established Member
Here is some ref with dyno sheets.

My car, BEFORE the fix put down like 254RWHP, after the fix it did a stout 290RWHP, then added some welded Flowmasters (keeping the after fix pipes) and pulled 301RWHP and pulled the car off the dyno and installed an O/R H-Pipe (MAC) and pulled 308RWHP.

I could not find the "after fix" dyno sheet but its posted here some where.

med_gallery_1217_503_60759.jpg

Keep in mind these are some old files....back in early 2000.

Naz

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
There are a lot of variables involved. SAE or Standard correction, when and how the dyno itself was calibrated and what type of dyno. My one buddy's 01 Cobra dyno'd 21 whp lower than it did on the same exact dyno 4 months earlier just because the shop recalibrated the thing. You really don't see many '99 or '01's going much past 300 whp with just bolt-ons. If you want to go past that you are looking at LT's, cams, port & polish or some sort of power adder.

Dynos are great for tuning and nut-swinging but other than that the real power test is your 1/4 mile trap speeds.

Very well put! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread