'99/'01 Cobra Tail Lights installed

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
Ok I did this mod today and I'm having an issue with the passenger flasher not working, any info? I swapped bulbs and still no worky, but If I plug in my wifes tail light out of her gt everything works ok.

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
OK I didn't replace the flasher, but I went to Napa and there is a flasher and a hazard flasher with the same part number...which one to use?

20psirabbit

Established Member
this is an awesome write-up, i used it when i did my 99-01 amber tail swap. i liked the color break with the amber as opposed to the all reds. and like someone mentioned before, i've had a couple people convinced i had an earlier car lol

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
I for the life of my will never understand why people go through the effort just to change the tails. I think the ones from the factory look good...maybe it's personal taste by i like the uniform color.

DICobra

Established Member
this is an awesome write-up, i used it when i did my 99-01 amber tail swap. i liked the color break with the amber as opposed to the all reds. and like someone mentioned before, i've had a couple people convinced i had an earlier car lol

+1... I got mine installed a few weeks back... I love the Ambers...:banana:

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Is there any way possible to get a slightly more zoomed out photo of this? I'm having trouble pinpointing its exact location.

gBG5M.jpg

There are so many damn green wires under there and I do not want to cut the wrong one.

Last edited:

jrandy

Established Member
I have one concern that hopefully someone can explain...

It appears that the wire being tapped into feeds the 3rd brake light only which, being an LED light, is going to only have a very small amperage draw and thus has a very small gauge supply line.

The brake lights are using a total of 6 27 watt bulbs which will draw almost 14 amps on full load. The supply line being tapped into in this modification appears insufficient to manage that load.

This has been evidenced on a car with this mod showing substantial resistance at the connection point and melting of the insulating jacket.

On this note, what is the color of the wire in the main harness that originally fed the brake lamps? (There may be two as it appears the left and right utilize independent circuits).

Thanks

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I have one concern that hopefully someone can explain...

It appears that the wire being tapped into feeds the 3rd brake light only which, being an LED light, is going to only have a very small amperage draw and thus has a very small gauge supply line.

The brake lights are using a total of 6 27 watt bulbs which will draw almost 14 amps on full load. The supply line being tapped into in this modification appears insufficient to manage that load.

This has been evidenced on a car with this mod showing substantial resistance at the connection point and melting of the insulating jacket.

On this note, what is the color of the wire in the main harness that originally fed the brake lamps? (There may be two as it appears the left and right utilize independent circuits).

Thanks

Anyone else have long term issues? I have a set of Ambers I'd like to throw on our new Sonic.

shurur

Established Member
just to add this..if anyone wants their gt lights to have a red corner turn signal, this mod can be done on the standard Red tail lights.

On the corner socket that is sealed and says.."do not use"
You just file down the plastic nub on the lower corner nipple; drill a pilot hole; the drill a 1" hole for the turn signal socket; then use a small file to file/cut notches for the new turn signal socket tabs;file and test fit..file and test fit.

This is what I did for my cobra because one of you stole my amber cobra lights!!..just kidding

Last edited:

SADDLE

Rock Chalk
Established Member
Here is the end result. I'm biased, but I think the 99/01's look best on Sonic Blue...

gagypype.jpg

OP, thanks for this DIY. Instructions were VERY helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread