99-04 SRA in 94-98 cobra?

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
Hey guys, I am looking at an 8.8 out of a Mach1 for my 96 cobra. Has anyone used a 99-04 8.8 in the 94-98 platform without fitment issues??? I know they are a little wider, but are they fender roll required wider??? I am running 10" wide saleens with 285 rubber..... Yes, my car is lowered approx. 1.5" too. Anyone????

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
How close are your wheels to being flush? If you have 0.75" or more between the wheel face/tire to the inside of the fender lip you'll be fine. The IRS swaps push the wheels out by the same amount and there are tons running around with no issues. What offset are your wheels?

Last edited:

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
yeh as said, the 94 to 98 rears are 3/4" narrower EACH side than the 99 to 04 rears.

there's another issue. the 99 to 04 rears use a 14mm bolt for the rear lower control arms and the 94 to 98 use 12mm bolts. unfortunately going the way you want to go, you may be in for swapping the LCA's too.

unfortunately i can't help you with measuring the wheels for you because my Saleen wheels are real and only 9" wide with 265's... if you want me to put a tape measure to them for you i could but it wouldn't be accurate to your wheels

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
yeh as said, the 94 to 98 rears are 3/4" narrower EACH side than the 99 to 04 rears.

there's another issue. the 99 to 04 rears use a 14mm bolt for the rear lower control arms and the 94 to 98 use 12mm bolts. unfortunately going the way you want to go, you may be in for swapping the LCA's too.

unfortunately i can't help you with measuring the wheels for you because my Saleen wheels are real and only 9" wide with 265's... if you want me to put a tape measure to them for you i could but it wouldn't be accurate to your wheels

I will not swap out my lca's and my wheels are closer than 3/4" as it sits. I do not want to roll my fenders either.......sounds like it's not going to work for me. I appreciate the responses fellas.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
You technically don't have to swap LCAs. Just drill the mounts out for 14mm or 9/16 bolts. That's what I did for my IRS swap so I could use 9/16 hardware. The wheel offsets not as simple an issue to resolve though.

JustinG60

Established Member
You technically don't have to swap LCAs. Just drill the mounts out for 14mm or 9/16 bolts. That's what I did for my IRS swap so I could use 9/16 hardware. The wheel offsets not as simple an issue to resolve though.

well, the issue is that the rear already hs the 14mm holes, the sleeves in the lower control arms are for 12mm bolts...

i guess there are other ways around but it would ultimately cost more money than buying the one for the car. i assume you don't want to roll your fenders because you're afraid of the paint chipping off? luckily i'm repainting mine so i am absolutely rolling my fender before paint. not sure if you've ever copped tires with fenders from having wheels spaced out near flush but it's not a good time. ruins good tires real fast haha

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
well, the issue is that the rear already hs the 14mm holes, the sleeves in the lower control arms are for 12mm bolts...

i guess there are other ways around but it would ultimately cost more money than buying the one for the car. i assume you don't want to roll your fenders because you're afraid of the paint chipping off? luckily i'm repainting mine so i am absolutely rolling my fender before paint. not sure if you've ever copped tires with fenders from having wheels spaced out near flush but it's not a good time. ruins good tires real fast haha

A '96 mustang uses 12mm bolts for the lower control arms, 99+ SRA use 14mm and IRS use 12mm bolts. For instance putting the 03 IRS into my 98 cobra required me to drill out the mounting holes for the lower control arms to use 9/16th hardware for the front subframe mounting. Regardless of all that the rear pushes OP's wheels out to far so I don't think its a viable option for him.

I haven't actually had my car on the ground to see if the fenders will need rolled, I really don't care either way and may end up rolling them just for added peace of mind lol.

JustinG60

Established Member
A '96 mustang uses 12mm bolts for the lower control arms, 99+ SRA use 14mm and IRS use 12mm bolts. For instance putting the 03 IRS into my 98 cobra required me to drill out the mounting holes for the lower control arms to use 9/16th hardware for the front subframe mounting. Regardless of all that the rear pushes OP's wheels out to far so I don't think its a viable option for him.

I haven't actually had my car on the ground to see if the fenders will need rolled, I really don't care either way and may end up rolling them just for added peace of mind lol.

valid point, and great for search, but the person who created this thread wants to put a solid rear axle from a 99+ in their 94 to 98 to replace their assumably problematic solid rear axle. previously stated looking to use the SRA from a Mach 1. good info for the IRS swap though

Users who are viewing this thread