99 Cobra Alternator change?

DarkRattle

Established Member
What tools do I need for it? Breaker bar necessary for belt tensioner or can I use a normal 1/2 socket if I'm a big stwong guy.

DarkRattle

Established Member
Noticed the tensioner doesn't have a 1/2 drive slot? It's covered by some sort of plastic or metal or something.

DarkRattle

Established Member
So I just ordered an M8-125x50mm bolt, to plug into the threads and then use an 8mm socket with a breaker bar to relieve the pressure, anyone have any experience if that would work?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I've used a bolt before like you're describing. I've also just clamped on a set of vice grips to the pulley side of the tensioner. Both work. And the metal plate can be removed pretty easily.

DarkRattle

Established Member
I've used a bolt before like you're describing. I've also just clamped on a set of vice grips to the pulley side of the tensioner. Both work. And the metal plate can be removed pretty easily.
I really don't get why ford has to make unnecessary stuff complicated

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
It's an easy swap. I've relieved the belt tension with a pry bar placed on the arm of the tensioner. Helps if you have a buddy, but it's not necessary.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Maybe I'm remember wrong but I thought the tensor had a spot to put either a 3/8 or 1/2 in ratchet directly in it.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
The original tensioner on my ‘99 was steel and didn’t have a 3/8” drive hole in it. When the pulley was bad I just bought a new tensioner since the new one was aluminum and had the hole for a 3/8” drive. And I only put the metal cover plate back on when I sold it. Not really sure why it exists since it’s not much of a guard.

DarkRattle

Established Member
The original tensioner on my ‘99 was steel and didn’t have a 3/8” drive hole in it. When the pulley was bad I just bought a new tensioner since the new one was aluminum and had the hole for a 3/8” drive. And I only put the metal cover plate back on when I sold it. Not really sure why it exists since it’s not much of a guard.
This man's name is 99SVT yet he now has a Terminator, he is the Godfather.... I salut you.

shurur

Established Member
I think there was a recall on the original tensioner...not that it will help you now.

I had to replace mine, but it had a 3/8 slot in it and no guard; so I guess I am on my third tensioner then..

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
This man's name is 99SVT yet he now has a Terminator, he is the Godfather.... I salut you.
I don't consider myself a "Godfather" at all. Slo has posted up a lot more helpful info than I have. There are times I miss my '99 -- I liked the handling more than my '03. But I really like the >2X RWHP of the '03!!!

Users who are viewing this thread