99 cobra broken timing chain

96svtcobra808

Established Member
car has 79k timing chain broke on drivers side any advice or info would be needed....:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Which chain?
The primary (long) one or the secondary (short one)?
Normally, chains just don't break, but it has happened.
Make sure the intake camshaft didnt seize in the head,
which could have caused the secondary chain to break.
Low oil level could have caused that.
PM me if you need more info.

96svtcobra808

Established Member
the long one but i havent pulled the timing cover off yet but looking down inside i can see the timing gear on the crank broke and is laying in the timing cover

mustangman36578

Established Member
also you will want to do a leak down test on that bank to see if any pistons hit the valves you may have gotten lucky though... let us know what you find once you get the cover off.

joeschmoemmix

Vigilant
Established Member
similar happenings

I had a gear on my crank break a while back. The chain was basically just hanging there loosely and the cams stopped. the pistons slapped the valves and bent them against the head (since they stopped when the cams did and some where still open). the drivers side of the engine lost compression and scratched the side walls of a few cylinders. I had some shiny oil after that, and needless to say, a huge hole in my pocket.

hope your situation goes well and there's no significant damage.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I have heard of driver's side cam gear bolts both breaking and falling out, I've also heard of tensioners failing. Both will mess lots of things up including broken chains.

Yep happened to me, getting ready to pull the motor this Sat and find out the damage

Users who are viewing this thread