99 Cobra Runs Rough and Hesitates at Light Throttle

CudaCobraSVT

This is only my second post ever, but I hope someone can help because I am at my wits end. I have a 99 Cobra with 240k and a few bolt on mods (MAC CAI, Borla Catback, Steeda Underdrive Pullies, John Lund Tune). Used to run really smooth. Now after I had my clutch replaced (thought maybe the disconnected something) it runs rough and hesitates at light throttle, but runs great if I run her. Also seem to be worse at lower altitudes. I live at 7400 ft. and drive to work a 5400 ft. and it gets worse. I have tested for a Vacuum leak and replaced some of my hoses. Sprayed everything with Throttle body cleaner. I've also replaced bunch of things ...
  • Accufab Throttle Body
  • PCV
  • Spark Plugs
  • IAC
  • MAF
  • TPS
  • Gas Cap
  • Vac Hose at Oil Separator and to Vapor Canister Purge Valve
  • Vapor Cannister Purge Valve
  • Oil Dip Stick
  • EGR Pressure Feedback (DPFE) Hose / Pipe
  • EGR Pressure Feedback (DPFE) Sensor
  • EGR Valve
  • EGR Valve Control Solenoid / Motor
  • O2 sensors
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
How long has that MAC CAI been on there? That's not helping things.
Are you sure the MAF is plugged in?

shurur

Established Member
No codes?
Check the rubber vac line on the passenger side around the ac dryer/accumulator/catch can.

It tends to be the one that rots out and cracks.
Also all those damn plastic/cohline vac lines.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did you check the FRPS? Is it something that happens constantly or does it come and go?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't know how to check it and I have not replaced it. I did see a pending code on my scanner say high fuel pressure, but it never actually was issued to cause the engine light turn on.
Normally you pull the vacuum line and if there's gas or it smells like gas the FRPS is bad. It could be on the way out if there's a pending code that hasn't set yet. I had one blow so bad that when I removed it I was able to blow through it.

CudaCobraSVT

Normally you pull the vacuum line and if there's gas or it smells like gas the FRPS is bad. It could be on the way out if there's a pending code that hasn't set yet. I had one blow so bad that when I removed it I was able to blow through it.

Cool I will check that out too. Just talked to my bother in-law, who is a mechanic. He thinks it is a vacuum leak somewhere because the fuel trims are so high at idle, like +25.

CudaCobraSVT

So finally took it to my Mechanic a while back and my transmission shop had swapped the upstream O2 Sensor cables. They said on cylinder bank was way lean and one was way rich. No wonder it ran like crap!

Users who are viewing this thread