'99 Pros & Cons Thinking of pulling the trigger...

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Wow finally after almost 7 years on this board I might be picking up a new (to me that is) Lightning. As some of you guys may know I used to have a '95 L, but that was a long time ago. Currently I am looking at a '99 L, I was curious to hear some of the users experiences on the board here. I am a little lazy to troll 700,000 different threads.

If you have owned a '99 please any feedback would be appreciated. Was it worth it? Would you have purchased a newer 2nd Gen, any major repairs, those type of things would be quite helpful.

Thanks in advance for any info!

-Zach

DolSVT00

Established Member
No 99, but I do have a 00 (pretty much the same). Check for intercooler recall, check the intercooler pump (I had to replace mine at 50,000), unless it has a seperator or pcv delete the intercooler will probably need to be cleaned, find a 90mm or a SCT maf and get a handheld tuner.....

Be careful when changing plugs, torque them on a cold motor and re-torque after a week or two, you will catch the loose ones and reduce the chance of plug blow.(99-00's have the 4 thread heads)

other than a steel driveshaft, 80mm maf ,3.55's and some minor exterior differences it's virtualy the same truck as the newer ones (I think the 99's are missing the overhead console?)

People will say the 3.55's suck (I call B.S, go from a roll with a older L and the same mods as you with your 3.73's and see whats up)

People say the 99-00 are slower (again I call B.S get them tuned and see whats up)

People say the NVH block is better (hummm maybe it is, its def heavier but then again I've modded my non NVH and have 70,000 on it and it still runs 12.10' on the eaton)

Some tuner's say that the 99-00 had better rods..... I dunno many think not but I can say this, I have personally seen a heavily modded 99 L (with a boatload of miles) crack a piston before he broke a rod at the strip..... coincidence???? dunno see this thread http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206843&highlight=rods

Last edited:

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Dol summed it up well. My 99 does not have the overhead console, nor a drivers side ohsh!t handle. The only problems I have had is the fuel line drop off in the tank, my tranny recently started a small leak, and the drivers side fog lense fell off. It's still got stock pulleys,Basanni shorties with full catless exhaust, 90mm maf, JLP airbox, ftvb, and truk tracks. The chip I have is a mailed order from Jdm. It put down 376/442 at the last dyno day in May and has run a best of 12.7 in the 1/4 on et streets. As of now it has 98k on it. Ride The, can run and Oasis for you and find out if the recall(s) have been done. If the price is right and it should be, go for it, if it checks out.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Nothing wrong with that truck man. Have Eric run an oasis for ya if he can for the intercooler ( kinda expensive if you have to do it on your own) and if its a good price and not banged up then go for it.... just look for mods and abuse, just remember driven hard doesnt mean it was abused. And like all used cars/trucks change all the fluids when you pick it up
Good luck man:beer:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Thanks for the advice guys. It is sitting on a lot in Rock Island and has 89,000 miles, ad is priced at $11,500. The condition seems to be good overall, she isn't mint but she doesn't appear to be scratched up or dented to hell, the intrior is clean and engine bay is decent.

I haven't taken it for a test drive yet. What would you guys think would be a beter price to pay? I was thinking more of $8500 - 8900.

slow_v6_stang

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys. It is sitting on a lot in Rock Island and has 89,000 miles, ad is priced at $11,500. The condition seems to be good overall, she isn't mint but she doesn't appear to be scratched up or dented to hell, the intrior is clean and engine bay is decent.

I haven't taken it for a test drive yet. What would you guys think would be a beter price to pay? I was thinking more of $8500 - 8900.

you honestly think you are going to talk them down $3k? :dw:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You'd never regret owning an L, no matter what year. If you haven't seen it already the FAQ page has the info about differences between years, just hit the link in my sig. Good luck in the search! :beer:

FastazzL

Hot Potato Handler
Established Member
Funny, I went the opposite way. I used to own a 99 and now own a 95.

The reason I sold was because of funds at the time. I had no problem with my 99 except the previous owner stripped a plug in the head and didn't tell me. Other then that, I had a low hp number the first time I put it on the dyno when it was bone stock, something like 292 or so. All around, it was a great truck and like said earlier, you will never regret owning a L, no matter what year.

o0prodigy0o

Established Member
I have a '99 and have loved every second of owning it she had a rear main leak. My motor is still strong w 73000 on it. The only bad thing is I wrecked it and when its done at the body shop I will be selling her (no it wont be on this site dont wanna get flamed for selling a crap truck). I didnt wanna have to get rid of it but I just dont look at it the same anymore but on the positive side I have the L bug and will get a replacement although it will be an '01+ if I found the right '99-'00 Id take it to me the differences are minimal as far as faster I dunno havent had a chance to drive anything other than mine.

Users who are viewing this thread