A/F question

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
I posted this in the Time Slip Bar and Posi brought up something I would like to discuss. I got a baseline dynojet reading yesterday and this is the result:

100_0233.jpg

I am stock with the exception of 1chamber flows welded into stock piping. The A/F was read through the tailpipe and not through a wide ban. Posi pointed out that I am running lean and need to get more fuel. My question is, When reading A/F from the tailpipe and not the bung, will it read more lean?

thelpb

Established Member
Last time I was on a dyno, the tailpipe sniffer read a full point leaner than my on board wideband. Based on what you described it sounds like you still have the stock 4 cat midpipe which will play havoc with a sniffer. You're ok.

The A/F chart shows you're between 12 and 13 at the tailpipe, so your actual pre-cat A/F is probably between 11 and 12.

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
Yes, I do have the stock 4 cat midpipe. Thanks for the reassurance. Posi had me worried for a min. lol

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Those tail pipe sniffers will have you driving your car like an old lady until you get a tune. Thats what happened to me the dyno shop kept stopping me saying I am way to lean. Turns out my af was aroudn 11-12 there sniffer was f'd up reading like 15. I have a wideband now.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I posted this in the Time Slip Bar and Posi brought up something I would like to discuss. I got a baseline dynojet reading yesterday and this is the result:

100_0233.jpg

I am stock with the exception of 1chamber flows welded into stock piping. The A/F was read through the tailpipe and not through a wide ban. Posi pointed out that I am running lean and need to get more fuel. My question is, When reading A/F from the tailpipe and not the bung, will it read more lean?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks pretty good, very close to mine

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
A properly calibrated and maintained tail pipe A/F analyzer will read from .4 to .5 leaner than a bung reading. In the above graph, you're reading about 12.5 tailpipe, which is about 12.0 actual, IF the sniffer is functioning acurately.

Users who are viewing this thread