A man and his dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Those of you who post in the LNC thread in SD already know a little about this. The rest I want to share a story.

Backstory first,
About 3 weeks ago my 3yr old male GSD (Sebastian from here on out) was doing his normal run with the cat along his dog fence. The cat on the outside of course. Sebastian is a beautiful dark tan/black GSD that goes about 100lbs.
The kids tease because he is kind of clumbsy at times but a very good, smart and loving dog.
The wife was outside at the time and heard a yelp from him. the next day he is limping on his left rear leg.
I have some anti-inflamitory/pain meds from the last time one of them did this so I give him some till my next day off.
He and his sister (Journey) were due for their semi-annual vet visit anyway so a couple days later I load them in the car and bring them.

After their shots and stuff I tell the vet to check his left rear leg as he is favoring it some. He wasn't that morning so I believe it was due to the excitement of going for a ride to the vet.
She checks and finds the knee is a little swollen but not bad so gives me more anti-inflame stuff and we go home.

Over the next three weeks he is on and off of the leg, sometimes limping but sometimes not useing it at all.
I wake up one morning to find him not useing it again and got a good look at it and find the ankle is swollen.
I call the vet and schedule an xray, (Which they need to sedate him some)
I, for only the second time ever load just him in the car. Of course his sister is crying up a storm to be seperated.

I drop him off so they can do what they need to do.
She calls me later in the day to tell me he had a deformed bone like tumor and gets a sample to send off. She sends some good pain meds for him as he is visably in pain.

She gives me options and opinions on what she thinks so I can start to consider possibilities.

I get the call a couple days ago. Bone Cancer in a 3yr old. She talks to the oncologist and I and gives options and opinions.

Amputate has to happen for sure.
Then chest xrays to see if it has spread. If so radiation or kemo recommended and it will buy him maybe 4-8 months or a year max.

If it has not spread he may lead a 3 legged life but with all the pressure on 1 leg in a dog already prone to hip problems is not good.
They also think that the cancer is so aggressive that it is most likely in the blood stream and will spread.
Their prognosis is 1 yr give or take no matter what road we take.

So yesterday after crying a couple days in a row I made the decision to put him down.
I do not want him to suffer and live a short miserable life for my enjoyment of having him here.
Hardest choice I ever had to make.
I called my daughter to come home from college cause she loves him also and say goodbye.

Over the last few days he has been looking at me with these eyes. A look I've never seen from him before. It is the it's OK look.
It's OK dad to let me go.
(Now I'm starting to cry again so bear with me)

Today I decided to go spend time with him as his appointment is scheduled for Saturday at 9:30.
When I get to the gate he comes out and he and his sister meet me as they always do.
I tell you it is a battle between the 2 of them for my attention. always cutting each other off, growl at each other, etc...
This is no different as the both fight for my attention only now the alfa male won't win.
I give him his meds and squat down next to him as his sister trys to get between us.
I tell her, "Journey, brother is sick". As if she knows she retreats to the side and lays down. This has never happened before, she gives up for him.
So as I squat beside him I tell him to sit and he does. He then puts his paw out to "Shake"

He shakes very well as I taught him when he was little but NEVER has he done it without me asking first and stretching out my hand.
It is like he says to me, "friend"

I tell him to lay down for a belly rub and he does just as usual.
This time I rub and pet him slowly with my right hand on his back and left on his chest.

Every so often he would take his front paw and push my left hand down and put his paw on it as if to hold hands.
All the while he is looking at me with loving eyes and his sister watches on.
I don't ever recall feeling that kind of love and apprciation before. Not even from most humans.
My legs are hurting from squatting for so long so I sit on the ground and this continues for about an hour. This in it self is rare as they normally want to play.

I then ask (Not thinking he would) if they want to go run?
We live in the country so they can roam free if I wanted them to.
Their treat before eating evey day is a walk or run around the property.
As soon as I said it they both got up and went to the gate.

I cried as I watched him run around on 3 legs for what is most likely the last time.
I cried harder when he fussed at his sister for being stubborn and not wanting to go back in the pen when I said so.
No matter where we are, when I say in your pen they take off to the gate.
She is always stubborn so he goes out to her, barks and actually grabs her collar with his teath and pulls.

I cried as I closed the gate behind me for one of the last times with both of them there.
I'm not sure how she will take being alone and without the brother she has never been seperated from other than a few short hours.

I'm not sure how my wife and kids will handle it. Hell I'm not sure how some friends who come over and play fetch with his rope will handle it.

I know I'm not doing well as I say goodbye to my best friend.

I love you Sebastian.

Threads like these are the reason I just can't have dogs anymore. I don't know how so many of you guys do it. Very sorry you didn't have more time to enjoy that pup. Really does stink.

03DontMach

Established Member
Touching story. I agree with the decision. He will always live in your guys' hearts ;-) seems like you have some great memories with your pets.

OneManWolfpack

Established Member
It really is true when they say a dog is man's best friend.

I can only imagine the pain you are going through Barry. Spend as much time as you can with Sebastian, and enjoy the memories that you have made.

Just remember that you're making the right decision as his owner. It would be terrible to let a dog live for a maximum of another year, knowing that he will die sooner or later.

Good luck on Saturday.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I honestly don't know what to say to make it any better for you, I can't even fathom having to put my boy down. Be strong buddy, just try to remember its in his best interest. I'm sure your family will be looking to you for strength and his sister is going to need you also. Good luck buddy, my deepest condolences to you and yours.

Planter

Banned
:( sorry to hear Barry. may your little buddy rest in peace, and I hope you find some peace in the fact that he no longer has to suffer any more or be in pain.

Tmatt142

Established Member
Oh man....I'm so sorry to hear, it's crazy because we just brought our dog to the vet where we found out he's got lymphoma.........3-4 months tops......

My hearts out to ya brother...I feel your pain. Enjoy every sec with him till the end.

Tim

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Damn that was a tough read :(. Hang in there Stamp, I hope time will heal those feelings of sorrow. Best of luck

ford20

Established Member
I am sorry to hear that, it is really tough for sure and will be hard on Journey as well. At the very least you two have each other to remember Sebastian. It sucks when you have to put down your dog the only good thing about it is that he won't suffer anymore.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I can sympathize with you about getting attached to pets. My wife and I have no human children as our pets are our kids. We have doggy play dates with our friends. I am sorry for what happened.

flS/R

Established Member
it sucks to read a story like this. Good dogs really do become part of the family. It sounds like you are making the right decision so be sure to get a couple of pictures of you and your family with the dog before it is his time. If the dog makes dumb faces, get a couple of those as well. You will be glad you did and every time you look at them you will remember how good a dog he was.

My daughter's cat passed a couple years ago, she had that damn cat for about 12 years. The advice I gave her is the same I pass along now, stay strong for the dog when you take him in. The last thing you want him to be thinking of is that you wont be okay/safe without him.

ps. don't take him in alone. Take someone with you to drive

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
That sucks Barry. When the time is right, get another, too many good dogs out there that need homes, that's the only thing I can do when I loose an animal and we've lost two the last 12 months.

StangingAround

Established Member
Losing a dog is just like losing a family member. They are some of the most loyal companies one can have. I wish you the best in dealing with this tough time but just from reading your post it seems as if this dog lived the best life he could have and that is very heartwarming. So sorry for your loss.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Keeping your family, you, and your dog in my prayers.

Dog's are truly man's best friend.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
Do the meds kill the pain? If so maybe you can keep him around until the time.comes... just positive thinking. I dont want that day to come for my pup, Mila, for a verrrry long time. Dog stories always bring tears to my eyes. Good luck man. Sebastian sounds like a great friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I bet you cried the entire time you wrote that post. I know I would have. The exact same thing happened to my German Shepherd, Champ. I was playing with him during superbowl sunday 2011 and he was his normal self. On Tuesday, he wouldn't get up and after taking him to the vet, our family learned he had bone cancer. Amputating would only buy time and that was a selfish thing to make our big, proud shepherd have to live like that. So we decided to put him down that Saturday, less than a week from when he was bounding around with his toys and playing fetch. I was right there with him as he passed away in peace and he was looking right into my eyes, seemingly knowing it was going to be the last time. Cherish every minute you have with your pets and know that you're all they have. We all have our school, jobs, friends, TV, etc, but they only have us. Rest in peace, Sebastian.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Thanks guys. I knew it would be tough when the day came. It is tougher than I though but most likely because he is only 3 and not 10-12 like I expected.

Do the meds kill the pain? If so maybe you can keep him around until the time.comes... just positive thinking. I dont want that day to come for my pup, Mila, for a verrrry long time. Dog stories always bring tears to my eyes. Good luck man. Sebastian sounds like a great friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The vet offered this today. Could keep him comfortable for a while. She said it could be 2 weeks, or 2 months.

I've thought it over and I don't want the wife to find him when I'm at work or the pain get to the point where the meds don't work that well and it is the weekend or something.
I just think it is better this way.
After looking in his eyes the last few days I really feel he is good with it and he knows.

SmelchoMG

SmelchoMG
Established Member
Bucdy i hope you do well. This has to be the hardest read i've ever done. I am liget in tears . I feel your pain man. I have a 85 lbs boxer and she is my world. I lost it the first time she went into surgery. Theres nothing like a dog that knows what is going on and gives you those eyes. the sister will be fine but PLEASE make sure you play with her after Sebastion is gone. you two will both need it. My heart goes put to you and your family. stay stron and keep your head up.
best of wishes from,
Kelly, Lotus(my boxer) and I. He will be looking down on you!! hE'LL BE THERE WITH YOU THROUGH THE RACES ;)

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I love these from when they were pups. Yes I know the date is wrong.
They were about 9 weeks here. He is on top in the first and on the left in the 2nd
I really don't have any good full grown picks. It sucks.

100_3720.jpg

100_3699.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread