a real rear caliper

96slowbra

Established Member
i have never seen an option for a nice rear caliper for a mustang. i see brembos on all sorts of lame dodge products but never on a ford vehicle...
finally the 2010 super snake has available 6 piston rear calipers
2010SSright.jpg

i haven't seen pricing yet, but i'm sure they are expensive. and i want a set

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ive done wheels for two gt500s that have AP Racing big brakes front and rear. but those are $$$ :read:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The STi, EVO, and 350Z, which come with the same Brembo front calipers as our car (or did from 2004-2008...haven't checked current models) also have Brembo rear calipers. Surprised someone with some fabrication skills has not tried to make a bracket to use those or tried to see if it was possible. You can find them used fairly easily.

Last edited:

jcthorne

Established Member
the trouble with all of those is they are independant rear suspension that use a hub and shaft arrangement. The caliper is fixed just like in the front. The Shelby uses a solid rear axel and requires a floating caliper bracket. Brembo does not make a floating caliper/bracket.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The STi, EVO, and 350Z, which come with the same Brembo front calipers as our car (or did from 2004-2008...haven't checked current models) also have Brembo rear calipers. Surprised someone with some fabrication skills has not tried to make a bracket to use those or tried to see if it was possible. You can find them used fairly easily.

another issue would be clearance with the wheels. people think its tough finding wheels that will clear the FRONT brakes well its even tougher if the rears are as big. for the sets we've done with big brakes in the rear, we've had cut accordingly, which makes the lips smaller. not a big deal but had we not known then there is no way they would have cleared.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I would vote against upgrading the rear brakes until the fronts were upgraded.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

youre the hardcore road racer arent you? wouldnt be wise to have more balance in the brakes. not HUGE up front and weak in the rear. ive been doing brake upgrades myself for the road courses and been doing quite a bit of reading. that's what ive read from some knowledgeable folks..

1sweetazzGT500

Established Member
Had these AP Racing 4 Piston 13in Two Piece Rotor Kit put on because I couldnt stand the Stock Puny set-up.

277752100114_0_ALB.jpg

967752100114_0_ALB.jpg

Now Im waiting on these 2 Piece Boze/ZE Forged 20's to Show them Off better.

injected_bg.gif

sharke

Established Member
youre the hardcore road racer arent you? wouldnt be wise to have more balance in the brakes. not HUGE up front and weak in the rear. ive been doing brake upgrades myself for the road courses and been doing quite a bit of reading. that's what ive read from some knowledgeable folks..

~70% of brake force comes from the front in a car with 50/50 neutral balance due to weight transfer as the car slows down. Front brakes are loads more important than rear brakes.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
another issue would be clearance with the wheels. people think its tough finding wheels that will clear the FRONT brakes well its even tougher if the rears are as big. for the sets we've done with big brakes in the rear, we've had cut accordingly, which makes the lips smaller. not a big deal but had we not known then there is no way they would have cleared.
The ones I referenced aren't that big....

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Steve:

Yes I'm a road racer and with the exception of the weight of this car, I love it. It's a little porky for me but it's still the best Mustang Ford has delivered to date!

IMHO the brake balance is excellent. The SVT engineers did a great job (as usual) on this car. I'm not pretending to be more knowledgeable about vehicle dynamics than a team of SVT engineers.

Two friends of mine purchased the MM rear Cobra IRS brake upgrade kit. One had a New Edge and one was a Terminator.

The guy with the New Edge car ended up going backwards through turn one at Road America his first outing and ended up having to put a brake bias balance bar in his car. The Terminator guy took the kit off because of too much rear bias and is going to save it for his race car he's building because that car will also have a brake bias balance bar in it.

For cruising around on the street it might be ok because you're rarely using the full potential of the brakes.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I can understand upgrading for looks, but the system should be balanced as Bruce points out. Those big brake systems are heavy and expensive, but they do have big bling appeal; when I was rocking the AP Racing big brake set-up people noticed, even import guys, now that I have the Sierra/Griggs 4on4 system not so much. Personally, if you are concerned about performance, the stock system can be greatly improved upon with SS line, 2-piece rotors, better pads and fluid; this will work perfectly for 95% of GT500 owners and their driving styles and track days.

My advise to the OP is save your money, spend what you would pay for a Baer or AP set-up on upgrading the stock brake system and invest the rest into better suspension parts.

But yeah, those AP's do look nice, anyone want to buy my old AP set-up? The CCW wheels with Michelin PS2 tires are for sale too...

dcp_2430-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread