A tale of two shifters...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
RickyBobby said:
....but I do have to explain how this shifter is more beneficial than a diamond ring.

Given the current "war on women":rollseyes I'm interested to see how you pull this one off without chocolate, a puppy in a basket, or plane tickets to Honolulu.

JV_92_03_10

Established Member
The KR shifter has the same ratio as the '10-'12 shifter and it is the fastest of all years GT500, 2007-2014. In my view, when coupled with a direct mounted stick and solid front bushings it made a major difference on my 2009.

The bushing kit can be purchased from Van at Revan Racing. The front bushings (there are two variations available depending on your year) and the rear bushing are indeed a direct fit.
http://www.revanracing.com/categories/2011-14-shelby-gt500/drivetrain/shifter-bushings.html

Let's start with the fact that you are experiencing "the grind" when making a 1-2 shift at high RPM. Your 2011 has the quickest ratio as I mentioned above. If your issue is indeed one of the shifter ratio being too quick for the synchros to handle occasionally and at elevated RPM's, I have a sense that MGW's new shifter may work very well for you. You could install a take off factory shifter with a slower ratio ('07-'09 or a '13/'14) if you were on a budget. But if you want what will probably be the most efficient mechanism to date that utilizes a synchro-friendly ratio, I would strongly recommend George's new shifter.

I had a fairly lengthy conversation on the phone with George today and the main topic of discussion was the GT500 shifter. I can honestly say this - George has an extremely in-depth understanding of the issues GT500 owners are seeing. His upcoming shifter will become the default unit of choice, of this I have no doubt. It sounded like he is getting close to release but he wants all his ducks in a row before the floodgates are opened. Tell your spouses now gentlemen, that this is a must have, like a roof over your head or food and water. The community is lucky to have a guy like him manufacturing parts to make a great car even better.

I actually had the MGW Gen II GT500 shifter installed by George on Tuesday. I'm getting ready to do a full write-up review of it but saw this thread and figured I'd chime in a little bit..the Gen II shifter is worth every bit of it's cost. Before I only had terrible lock-out issues even in normal slightly spirited driving. However, since it's been installed I've tried to get the thing to miss 2nd it just hasn't happened - in normal and in hard, giving it the business driving - whether I'm deep clutching it or as minimal clutch as possible for it to engage. I'll get the full review up as soon as I can for you guys to take a look at.

charged87

Established Member
I actually had the MGW Gen II GT500 shifter installed by George on Tuesday. I'm getting ready to do a full write-up review of it but saw this thread and figured I'd chime in a little bit..the Gen II shifter is worth every bit of it's cost. Before I only had terrible lock-out issues even in normal slightly spirited driving. However, since it's been installed I've tried to get the thing to miss 2nd it just hasn't happened - in normal and in hard, giving it the business driving - whether I'm deep clutching it or as minimal clutch as possible for it to engage. I'll get the full review up as soon as I can for you guys to take a look at.
Good to hear! Just received mine today and hope to have it installed tomorrow. I guess they used your car for the installation video they made earlier this week.

Memphis9

Established Member
Any chance anyone has a Ford Racing SVT/Shelby Short throw shift handle and knob in the color black that fit the KR Short throw shifter for the 2007 GT500? (M-7213-J) I have the shifter but I need the handle and knob.

Users who are viewing this thread