A/V Experts Step In!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
My dad left me some pretty cool stereo equipment when he moved overseas a few weeks ago. I'd like to hook this stuff up to my TV in the living room and I'm wondering how to do so and what additional hardware I might need.

There are two Dynaudio Audience 42 bookshelf speakers and the center channel is a Dynaudio Audience 122C.

He also gave me a Rotel RMB-1095 Five Channel Power Amplifier and a Rotel RSP-1098 Surround Sound Processor. The equipment is decently old so it looks like the only audio output that my Panasonic LCD-TV has is an optical output and the Sound Processor does have an optical input. Is that the correct way to wire it up? Just a Toslink cable from the TV to the Sound Processor, connect the sound processor to the amplifier (RCA's I guess?) and then wire the speakers to the amp?

Thanks for any input!

sono

Established Member
Maybe try the optical out on the tv for a cheap shortcut.
Regardless, age means very little in the audio world. The gear is good quality mid range gear. Treat it right!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Maybe try the optical out on the tv for a cheap shortcut.
Regardless, age means very little in the audio world. The gear is good quality mid range gear. Treat it right!

Will do! It seems like I have the right idea with the optical. He also left me his McIntosh MXA60 audio system that I hooked up in my bedroom. That thing is sweeeeet.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
What else do you have to setup? Cable box? Satellite? Blu Ray? How many hdmi inputs does your tv have? Is it a smart tv? The simple answer may be hdmi to the tv from whatever video source and then optical down to the surround sound processor. Or you can use the digital coax from your video source to the sound processor but you'll have to switch audio inputs when you change sources. The SSP has plenty of digital inputs.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
What else do you have to setup? Cable box? Satellite? Blu Ray? How many hdmi inputs does your tv have? Is it a smart tv? The simple answer may be hdmi to the tv from whatever video source and then optical down to the surround sound processor. Or you can use the digital coax from your video source to the sound processor but you'll have to switch audio inputs when you change sources. The SSP has plenty of digital inputs.

I'll primarily be hooking up my cable box (Xfinity X1) and my Wii U maybe.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Use the optical out on the cable box to the optical in on the surround sound processor. Then, use the HDMI out on the cable box to the TV. Use your TV remote and menu to disable the speaker on the TV and configure the xfinity remote to control sound via the surround sound processor. It's possible you may need to configure the cable box to use the optical out for sound vs the HDMI if you are not getting sound out.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Do you plan on using the internal Apps of the TV (Netflix etc)? If so you will need all switching to be in the TV, so HDMI from X-1 to the TV) Wii U to the TV, then Toslink out from the TV to the surround processor. You should be able to program the X1 remote to change the volume of the Rotel, so your not fumbling with 3 different remotes.

Yes, speakers to the amp, and the surround processor is just RCA's from the "pre out" of the surround processor.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Do you plan on using the internal Apps of the TV (Netflix etc)? If so you will need all switching to be in the TV, so HDMI from X-1 to the TV) Wii U to the TV, then Toslink out from the TV to the surround processor. You should be able to program the X1 remote to change the volume of the Rotel, so your not fumbling with 3 different remotes.

Yes, speakers to the amp, and the surround processor is just RCA's from the "pre out" of the surround processor.

That's what I thought! I'll try it out, thanks so much.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Most of those apps are now built into the cable boxes. My Tivo has Netflix and Plex built right in. No need to use the smart functions of the TV if that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread