??? about JLP R exhaust???

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Has anyone heard it, or used it? I havent seen much on it, but it looks cool on their site. I am wondering if its just for race trucks, or if a truck with basic mods would see the 60 hp that JLP claims, and if it would sound awesome? I like my bassani catback, and maggy mids, but this thing looks too cool. Thx, Sean

SVT99RED

Established Member
just get the supporting mods .. I regret not doing it sooner.. I bought the dynatech long tubes and exhaust it said it was good for 54 hp but I know for damn sure I didnt get that much with it cause I had alot of mods and only dynoed at 396rwhp.

lightning666

Established Member
I saw a post by johnny lightning in nloc that they used it on a stock block with a 6#, and some other bolt ons and the truck made 450rwhp. It is a really great kit, but I can't afford it yet, so I decided to make something similar by buying a magnaflow dual 3inch in/out with internal x-pipe($112), misc. mandrel bends($150), $150 muffler shop labor, + some used kooks $400. I'm looking at a total of about $800. The guy at the muffler shop is very good, so it should come out pretty nice. This is using aluminized steel, for stainless add about $150-$200 more.

jgardner14

Established Member
What u could do is like I'm going to do witch is MSX long tubes with catted mids $800 (when they come in) and JDM sliverbullets catback $625 (already ordered). Total $1425 + shipping

jgardner14

Established Member
What u could do is like I'm going to do witch is MSX long tubes with catted mids $800 (when they come in) and JDM sliverbullets catback $625 (already ordered).All stainless steel. Total $1425 + shipping.

lightning666

Established Member
jgardner14 said:
What u could do is like I'm going to do witch is MSX long tubes with catted mids $800 (when they come in) and JDM sliverbullets catback $625 (already ordered).All stainless steel. Total $1425 + shipping.

that uses 2 1/2 inch pipe right?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'm probably going to hurt some feelings, but here goes: I don't think the JLP exhaust really does much for these trucks over a standard longtube/2.5" setup. Here's the reason why:

I bought my built motor from a guy that was running the full JLP setup without cats. He dyno'd 613/669. The same motor in my truck, on the same dyno, with the same tuner, put down 614/674 with Kooks LT's and a Bassani catback WITH highflow cats. Virtually no gain, and I'm running cats. Maybe with both setups on a full tilt race tune the JLP exhaust might make a difference, but I don't know. Take it for what it's worth.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
lightning666 said:
so you don't think the bump up to 3 inch pipes would help?^^^

were both of you running whipples?

It certainly didn't help in this situation. Yes we were both running identical setups. It was the same motor in 2 different trucks, both with Whipples, both with the same pulleys and boost, same dyno, same tuner. The only difference was the exhaust and he was actually running 2* more timing.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Even though I don't like the Bassani/JLP 3" exhaust, I do think 3" exhaust would help in some higher power numbers, even higher than yours Scott. I still can't see spending that much on something that is not custom. These aftermarket guys are trying to bend all of us over. No thank you, I will stick to my builder/tuners and every once in a while get things made custom if need be for the same price and better quality... Stan

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
When it comes to airflow there is always an exactly perfect shape and size of piping/manifold for making the best power.

The problem is that shape and crossectional area needs to change with the given CFM at any particular rpm point. It's not reasonable to have a constantly changing shape. So what's the balance?

Well... that really is determined by what rpms you operate a motor at and specifically what CFM your exhaust needs to support.

A race exhaust like is asked about here is really intended for 3000+ rpms and HIGH CFM. If you trailer the race truck or it's a true "pro street" ride? Then this setup / pipe size is for you.

If you have a typical bolt on truck making under 750-800ish hp then you ought to consider a 2.5" piping as a best compromise.

Rich ;-)

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Stan and Rich, I agree. If at 600rwhp I'm seeing zero gain, when will I see any? 700rwhp? 800rwhp? Even then, how much gain will it be? The quality of Kooks (and other) "regular" LT headers is great, and it's a lot easier to install than the JLP system, and until you hit astronomical numbers, it's just as effective.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Thorough testing has never been done but as stated it will only come into it's own in an all out situation. For the price of the 2.5" full systems the 3" system isn't that much more.

The fitment, quality and sound are without equal IMO.

One has to remember the tests were done with nitrous, none of the blower only results were posted that I remember.

Last edited:

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Sinister04L said:
Stan and Rich, I agree. If at 600rwhp I'm seeing zero gain, when will I see any? 700rwhp? 800rwhp? Even then, how much gain will it be? The quality of Kooks (and other) "regular" LT headers is great, and it's a lot easier to install than the JLP system, and until you hit astronomical numbers, it's just as effective.

There isn't a majical number. And it would depend on what else you have in the exhaust system. (mufflers and cats)

I went for the MSX headers because I will be pushing 800hp. And even though thier mids and my bassani are 2.5".. I'll one day be changing that to mate up to thier 3" collectors.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread