About puppies

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Alright you dog owners, is is normal for puppies (12 weeks old) to "wig out" and start growling and flipping their chew toys? My little Gizmo is normally a wonderfully calm and even-tempered dog, but sometimes he just goes berserk. It's a riot watching him chasing his tail and attacking his own paws. He seems to alternate between periods of hyperactivity and sleeping. He also has the attention spam of a gnat; one moment playing fetch with a squeak toy, and then he's off sniffing something on the rug....

This is my first puppy, and I love him to pieces. I sometimes wonder who is training who?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Yes, that is completely normal. I usually say that my dog is "jacked up on Mountain Dew". :beer:

Although, there may come a time when it's inappropriate for them to get completely out of control but that seems to go without saying. If my dog gets too excited he wants to grab the sofa cushions and sling them around the living room.

Last edited by a moderator:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, that is completely normal. I usually say that my dog is "jacked up on Mountain Dew". :beer:

Although, there may come a time when it's inappropriate for them to get completely out of control but that seems to go without saying. If my dog gets too excited he wants to grab the sofa cushions and sling them around the living room.
The bigger they are, the bigger the chew toy:rolling:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Tell me about it. His favorite toys are the Jolly Ball horse toys.

stangaholic280

Established Member
Definitely sounds like a healthy puppy to me. My dog is very mild mannered and has pretty much grown out of all that, but I've known many dogs who maintain that sort of personality into adulthood! Best of luck to you! :)

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
LOL! Our labs favroite toy is a soccer ball, he kicks it around and is a damn good goalie. Ellie, our dane's favorite toy is whatever the other two are playing with. But other than that she likes to take the corner cushion off one of the couches and hump it:dw:

4a7191a

Established Member
yup, normal. every dog is different no matter how theyre raised. my first great dane was a smart, calm and predictable. my new great dane was like simple jack retarded for the first year and half, now hes 3 and like forrest gump tarded. he minds well, sometimes has to reminded to be good, or calm down ect....

SVT~frenchie

Will the mods ever end?
Established Member
That is completely normal. It's just showing that he is really comfortable where he is now. My puppy was calm for the first 2-3 weeks but once she got acclimated to my house she can go bonkers sometimes. Just wait till he starts chewing on things he shouldn't be! My puppy's favorite chew toy is anything that she isn't allowed to be chewing on.

HoustonGT

Established Member
+1 on that my 13 week old Boxer loves ice cubes, hell so does our monster cat. And considering the little f-ers food is $60.00 a bag im loving the cheap treats.:beer:

Same here. Our Boxer is now a year old, but anytime she hears you reaching into the ice box, she goes nuts and runs right over...it doesn't matter if she's sleeping or in the other room haha

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
ya thats normal, how big is your dog Harry? i know like when i had my Yorkie i had to give him some dog sugar supplement (molasses works too) because he was a teacup and when he would burn all his energy he had the chance of going into convulsions, like a diabetic. just a thought. the rest is normal, love dogs

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
At 7 weeks he was 3.7 pounds, now he's up to 5.2 pounds. I give him Nutrition-Cal supplement 5 times a day, in addition to the vitamins the vet prescribed, and chew treats, plus one half cup of Royal Canin Puppy 33 three times a day.

He gets a LOT of exercise playing fetch with his squeaky toys. I had read somewhere that a tired dog is a happy dog. After 30 minutes of intense play, he goes into his pen and takes a nap. Couldn't ask for a better dog.

He's reached the point where I can leave the pen open during the day, and he comes and goes when he needs to use the litter pan. At night, or when we go out, he's in his pen.

Tomorrow we start formal crate training, for when we go on car trips.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
At 7 weeks he was 3.7 pounds, now he's up to 5.2 pounds. I give him Nutrition-Cal supplement 5 times a day, in addition to the vitamins the vet prescribed, and chew treats, plus one half cup of Royal Canin Puppy 33 three times a day.

He gets a LOT of exercise playing fetch with his squeaky toys. I had read somewhere that a tired dog is a happy dog. After 30 minutes of intense play, he goes into his pen and takes a nap. Couldn't ask for a better dog.

He's reached the point where I can leave the pen open during the day, and he comes and goes when he needs to use the litter pan. At night, or when we go out, he's in his pen.

Tomorrow we start formal crate training, for when we go on car trips.

nutri-cal! couldn't think of it, yes thats what it was, white bottle w/ purple lettering. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread