About the 05 Mustang

dspiel

Lurker
Established Member
I've read that the new mustang will feature an F1 Style Paddle Shifter. Im curious about this since from my limited knowledge of cars, an F1 Style Shifter would make it very difficult to spin the tires when drag racing. To give a comparison, the Ferrari 575M Maranello F1 has a paddle shifter and it comes with a special mode specifically for drag racing that enables you to spin the tires at launch. This however is not available in the US version due to liability issues. So my question is, if the 05 Stang does have an F1 Style Paddle Shifter, what will Ford due about this issue ?

P.S. If I am tottally wrong about this idea please do not rip me a new one. :)
-Dan

khaine

Established Member
:xpl:

probably one of the worst ideas that they have thought up, and it won't be an option for me when I buy an 05.

anyway, why wouldn't you be able to spin the tires? you can do that with both the automatic and stick shifters right now

dspiel

Lurker
Established Member
About the F1 paddle shifter on the Ferrari...
"Because the clutch is automatically engaged, we couldn't do our normal wheel-spinning launch. For drag racing, Ferrari provides a launch-control system built into the transmission's computer. Well, it does in markets outside the U.S. at least, where the company has fewer concerns about liability. This system is disabled in U.S. cars, as we found by trying it and succeeding only in filling the cabin with expensive-smelling clutch smoke."

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Well if they put the paddles on, I'm not interested, no thanks. I like technology and everything obviously, but I want the plain jane manual thank you.

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
i'm with Joel on this one. paddle shifters are for old guys in their Maranello's and other exotics. i call it "pansy-shifting" but to each his own i guess

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
oh sorry heh, well i hadn't heard that rumor about the '05, and i hope and pray they're not paddle-shifted. i think that should be reserved for exotics.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
All the Ferraris, except for the Enzo, *are* offered with conventional three padal manual transmissions. Even if Ford is replacing the torque converter with an automatic clutch on the slushbox Mustangs, why are you worried that they won't also be offered with a stick?

Oh, wait... (remembering the SHO's de-evolution from manual-only to automatic only :xpl: )

--T.J.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I would opt for the paddle shifters. Easier to double de-clutch and more overall control as both hands are constantly receiving feedback from the steering wheel.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
A Cobra with a sequential manual gearbox similar to BMW's would be just beautiful.

Tim Lester

Established Member
Originally posted by Scoriox
A Cobra with a sequential manual gearbox similar to BMW's would be just beautiful.

The new BMW M3 has paddle shifting looks sweet.I would like to see it in the new stang.

Tim

97rioredcobra

I read in Car & Driver that the 05 Cobra will feature the F1 style paddle shifter from the Aston Martin's. The Aston Martin F1 style shifter is supposedly better than the Ferrari one. Either way I'd get the tried and true 6spd.

Users who are viewing this thread