About to purchase a new 2014 5.0 Opinions

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
Car is red ruby metallic, has brembo brake package but is a base model since I dont really car for leather.. What is all your opinions on these cars? I plan on being easy and just breaking it for the firs 1k or should I got more?

08mojo

Established Member
Good cars. I'm a sucker for the interior goodies: navigation, premium, leather, etc. If you don't care about that stuff, sounds like you found the right car for you.

5.0jake

Established Member
Car is red ruby metallic, has brembo brake package but is a base model since I dont really car for leather.. What is all your opinions on these cars? I plan on being easy and just breaking it for the firs 1k or should I got more?

I am on my 3rd 2011+ 5.0. If I could go back and do it all over I would get a 301A 14' automatic with Recaros and the Brembo package. Could care less about the other premium fluff.
If it HAD to be a manual it would be a 13' Boss or just wait for the 15'.

That said, I am very happy with my base auto 14'. I got it super cheap at $26.7K OTD :)

Last edited:

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member

I agree with you about the base, if I wanted leather and nav I would have bought a Lincoln.
As far as breaking it in, I drove it hard from day one and have had no issues.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Get a premium, it's a world of difference. The base feels cheap reminds me of c5 interior.

NickSezz

Established Member
I drove base model mustangs and premium mustangs when I was purchasing my own car and I just felt more at home in a base with cloth seats. I am not a fan of leather either.

The base cars save you A LOT of money and not having all that complicated premium lighting, Sync and other useless gadgets was appealing to me since I know I would be modifying the car anyway.

My only issue with base model cars is the ugly and cheap feeling steering wheel. So, I replaced mine with the GT500 wheel. It is an inexpensive and easy to install upgrade and will completely change how the car feels "in your hands."

2010-2014 Ford Mustang GT500 Steering Wheel Upgrade CR3Z-3600-AB

As for break in...Just drive the car and don't think about that. Change the oil at 5k with the OEM oil and filter and every 5K after that and you should not have any issues. My 12 has 30k miles on it now (10K supercharged) with no ticks or engine issues ever.

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

burke985

Established Member
Sounds like a winner , add recaros to the deal and I would say it's about perfect. I bought a 12 base and didn't look at any options when I bought mine and I wish I had.

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys!!! Looks like I should be getting it tomorrow!!!

08mojo

Established Member
My only issue with base model cars is the ugly and cheap feeling steering wheel. So, I replaced mine with the GT500 wheel. It is an inexpensive and easy to install upgrade and will completely change how the car feels "in your hands."

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

I'm pretty sure all the 13-14's have the leather steering wheel now. I happen to like all of my 'useless' gadgets:rollseyes

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
Buy the 2014 Base because of the weight and price.
You can always install leather!

I bought a base with Recaro's, track pack and stripe delete. I'm happy. It matters less on modern engines and synthetic oil as they require less break in due to modern buildind methods but I still believe in putting a few hours on it before it sees redline.

Last edited:

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Love my base 14. But here are a few pointers. I would get the 301a not the 300a so you can get the tech package with sync and so on. Also the cloth Recaros are a MUST. I WISH I got those. I might spend the $2k and get the suede recaros from FRPP. But other than that, there is also now the ability to swap in the premium gauges now and get all the track apps to work. See below last few pages. Mods please dont delete the link, its a huge thread with all the info to do the swap.

'13-14 Cluster into '10-12 car (with TrackApps) retrofit - Page 49 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Action Bronson

Established Member
The 13/14's have the leather wrapped steering wheel and HID headlights as a standard feature for all GT's I believe.

My GT is a DD and after driving and sitting in a base and premium models, I had to drop the extra coin on the premium. I think you'll be happy either way. Enjoy the new ride and post some pics when you get it!

NickSezz

Established Member
I'm pretty sure all the 13-14's have the leather steering wheel now. I happen to like all of my 'useless' gadgets:rollseyes

I am glad they ditched the that V6 steering wheel finally. To each their own on the premium gadgets. We are all entailed to an opinion.

Black Fire

Wings Fan
Established Member
Nothing wrong with a base GT. Like others said 13-14 cars have leather steering wheel. If it's a manual you will most likely want an MGW shifter before too long.

motoman620

Established Member
I bought a 14 Premium with the only other options being A6 and Recaros, love the nicer interior with the leather Recaros and the Track Apps.

CJ04GT

04 Oxford White Mach 1
Established Member
Yeah its a red ruby metallic so with some wheels on it she'll look nasty :) can't wait you guys have me all EXCITED NOW!!!!

Jday14

Established Member
I have a base 13 the color is red candy, I don't care about all the extras either BUT if I could do it all over again I would probably get the recaros because they are just plain sexy and comfortable! As far as break in the engine is heat cycled from the factory and is ready for you to make her scream but in all seriousness drive the car like she is meant to be driven just keep the oil and filter changed and all should be good!

Users who are viewing this thread