abs light and t/c, whats going on???

99cobrasvtstang

Established Member
hey guys i need a little bit of some helpful advise, here it is. the abs light has been coming up on the dash at random times. Tonight i was drivin home on the interstate and noticed the abs light come on, then i looked down at the t/c and it stayed "off". it didnt go off until i got gas 45 min later and started the car back up.. any one ever had this problem or any advise on what it might be?? thanks

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Possible wheel speed sensor? Get a scan tool or to go a auto parts store and get them to pull the ABS code.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I've been feeling this pain for about 2 months now. It's sparratic, but I've noticed that when the ABS light is on and the traction control is locked out, the traction control is not functioning at all. My assumption is from an ABS sensor being dirty. I've tried to pull codes when it happens, but I get nothing.

Maybe it only happens to e-green cobras *sigh.

wraitherlx

Established Member
how many times does your abs light flash? or does it just come on and then stay on with no flashes?

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
It just comes on and stays on. Eventually after about 20 or so minutes, mine will shut back off. I've accepted it as a quark for the car, meh.

Evan5469

Established Member
My 04 used to flash the ABS light as well, recently it has decided to stay on constantly. I'm really thinking that the ABS sensor on one of the wheels is probably dirty so when I put my springs on I'll clean and inspect them to see if that fixes the problem.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
i had this prob after i switched to solid on my first 01 cobra...turned out to be a loose abs sensor on the d/s rear...tightened it back up and the problem went away...

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
i had this prob after i switched to solid on my first 01 cobra...turned out to be a loose abs sensor on the d/s rear...tightened it back up and the problem went away...

With the amount of wheel hop I experience, having loose parts in the rear is extremely possible.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Brake cleaner and a quick shot of compressed air.

Your code scanner for the engine light codes won't access the ABS on these cars...it is a different scanner unless you have it checked at a ford dealer.

RED99VASVT

Established Member
I had the same problem for some time. The ABS Modules for our cars have a history of failure. I bought an ABS unit off Ebay, but it wasn't the correct unit (the seller gave me bad info). I found a good Ford tech that just changed the Module (not the pump) and downloaded the original Ford Program and it fixed my problem. A good Ford tech can read the codes and tell you what your problems are. It takes a special piece of equipment that hooks up directly to the ABS Module and I don't think many places go to the expense of that equipment. Most will try to get you to buy the whole ABS Pump/Module and it is very expensive. Don't trust Ebay sellers unless they are willing to warranty. JMHO...

SVECobraR

Established Member
abs sensor or wheel speed sensor. Same thing happened to me and it ended up being the sensor on the diff, passenger side. The gear on the axle that the sensor reads off of came loose and was hitting it slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread