Ac Compressor how to

50q's

Established Member
My AC compressor is beginning to make some noises. Once I turn it on it starts to make ticking noise. How difficult is this to removal and install another AC compressor? Is there any where a how to, I searched and searched with no luck. If anyone could give me any guidance it would be great.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if the compressor is ticking its likely failing internally which means its sending metal shavings through the system.

system needs to be evacuated of freon

remove the belts (blower then the inner...im sure thats fun with a stock caged pulley)

compressor is one electrical connector, 1 bolt for the pressure lines, 3 bolts hold it to the block (its easier if you drop the compressor first then have one person hold it and another unbolt the pressure lines)

r/r the orifice tube (if this has metal shavings on it you need to very thoroughly flush the line from the compressor through the condenser and through the line leading to the evaporator. If you leave any debris there is a good chance it makes it back to the compressor and wipes it out and you start all over (this is why I like letting a shop do it, that way theyre on the hook)

its always recommended you replace the dryer any time the system is opened (make sure to follow the instructions on measuring the oil out of the old one and putting the same amount of fresh in the new one)

if the compressor isnt full of oil out of the box youll need to find out how much oil to add plus a tad more from where you flushed the lines

the system needs a good vacuum to get rid of any moisture and you can check for leaks

recharge the system

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
no writeups/step by steps that Ive seen. Grab a Haynes manual and you can follow along with what I wrote up. Again the 2 big things are making sure any and all debris are flushed from the system and getting enough oil back in the system

Users who are viewing this thread