AC Went out, compressor or just clutch?

t660

Established Member
A few months ago my AC went out. I was driving and heard a strange noise, like an air leak. I went to pull into a parking lot to check it out and as soon as I pushed in the clutch it stopped.

Looking under the hood I didn't see or smell anything.

I got back in the car and it was blowing hot air.

I'm getting ready to sell the car and need to get this fixed. How can I diagnose if the compressor is bad or if I just need to replace the clutch?

I've read a few people here just had the clutch go out, but I'm not sure how they figured that out.

nxhappy

Established Member
could be blowing hot air because it doesn't have any r134a ...take it to a shop they will test it for leaks and refill the system. They will also check the compressor for function.

JDos1

Established Member
Sounds like it's the clutch. When the clutch goes out it makes a weird deep-toned hmm/hiss and quits. It can vary with RPM. I'd be willing to bet it was simply the clutch. Look at the area around the clutch and see if you see any signs of what looks like burned/melted rubber/plastic. If so then it's your issue.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Usually if it's low on Freon, it will cycle on and off non stop. OP, take the belt off and see if you can spin the AC pulley by hand. If you can't, it's the AC that's locked up and needs to be replaced. if it spins, could be the clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread