Accelerator pedal shaft bending... ?

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
Every time I go WOT in my car the accelerator shaft bends down and to the right. It would sound like I'm stomping on the pedal like an elephant but I'm really not.

It just seems really flimsy. I mean I can just reach down with one hand and tug a little with my fingers and bend the stupid thing back to where it needs to be.

I never had this issue with my '00 GT that I used to have (had it for 5 years).

I'm wondering if:
a: Ford will replace it-and if so would it be the same issue.
b: If the Bullitt pedal assembly is compatable, since the rubber pieces on my pedals were pretty much shot when I bought the car with 3200 miles on it.

Anybody else have this problem? :shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
hmmm, unless the previous owner wore golf cleats when he drove I don;t see how they pedals could get that bad in 3200 miles

maybe he swapped them out from another car?

does the Bullitt use a different assembly?

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
I think they're the same, actually. I bet there is something actually wrong with the existing pedal...maybe the pin is broken or something like that.

Yeah I don't understand how the rubber got all messed up either. The first time I showed it to someone they commented about the pedals...because the car looked perfect other than that.

I'm going to order replacements. Put them on and if that pedal does the same thing I'll figure out how to stiffen it up by practicing on the old one.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
you may be right about the pin

I broke my pedal in 2003 at the pin retainer and couldn't believe how flimsy it is

chrisweekspc

Established Member
Mine is the same way. I am on my second pedal, first snapped the plastic piece on the back that the pin goes through, and it was bent. Now, my second, is bending as well. I get down there every once in a while and bend it back..annoying though.

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
A friend of mine has bent 2 arms. He gets excited when racing.

Users who are viewing this thread