Accufab TB Driveability with 2.3 Whipple

carguy96

Established Member
So I purchased a gen 2 2.3 Whipple that came with an Accufab throttle body and am getting ready to take the car to the dyno in a few weeks for tuning. I have heard numerous stories about high idle issues and cruise control not working. I do take the car on the highway for longer stints and I want to still have the ability to use cruise control (and no normal driveability issues in general).
The pulley setup I have will net me roughly 16.5-17psi of boost (stock headers). I am not planning on pushing this setup to the limit for now.
Is it worth using the Accufab TB or should I stick with my stock TB from my Eaton for now?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'd run it. At worse you might have to do the cruise control mod. Depending on how old it is. But I like mine and plan on using it when I swap to a Whipple.

carguy96

Established Member
I'd run it. At worse you might have to do the cruise control mod. Depending on how old it is. But I like mine and plan on using it when I swap to a Whipple.

What's the cruise control mod?
I have been trying to see online what people are doing other than ensuring the throttle blade is able to open and close properly via no jagged metal edges or anything on the inside of the TB.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What's the cruise control mod?
I have been trying to see online what people are doing other than ensuring the throttle blade is able to open and close properly via no jagged metal edges or anything on the inside of the TB.

The early versions have the tab for the cruise control cable in the wrong spot. That's because the TB was originally used on the Ford GT and Accufab didn't change it. You'll know if you have the issue when you bolt on the TB and if it's the older style the end of the cruise control cable will be about 3/4" away from the tab. It'll work that way, but it takes a minute for the cruise control to engage because it has to take up the slack. To fix it you need to space the top of the throttle body arm out about 3/4". I used some spare metal I had laying around the garage. My cruise control works like stock now. The "downside" is that it made the pedal really light. Like barely able to feel it light. So I added a couple return springs to make things feel normal.

The only other issue I had was a sticky throttle coming off idle. It made it look like I couldn't drive stick. I adjusted the throttle stop about half a turn out and it's been fine since.

carguy96

Established Member
The early versions have the tab for the cruise control cable in the wrong spot. That's because the TB was originally used on the Ford GT and Accufab didn't change it. You'll know if you have the issue when you bolt on the TB and if it's the older style the end of the cruise control cable will be about 3/4" away from the tab. It'll work that way, but it takes a minute for the cruise control to engage because it has to take up the slack. To fix it you need to space the top of the throttle body arm out about 3/4". I used some spare metal I had laying around the garage. My cruise control works like stock now. The "downside" is that it made the pedal really light. Like barely able to feel it light. So I added a couple return springs to make things feel normal.

The only other issue I had was a sticky throttle coming off idle. It made it look like I couldn't drive stick. I adjusted the throttle stop about half a turn out and it's been fine since.

Thanks for the input. I will have to see if I can tell if I have the older or newer version then.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an Accufab on my 2.2KB.

Now my car has/had lots of issues and still needs a SC rebuild and new tune. But, I've not had any issues because of the single blade. Cruise control works fine. Idles at 850 and the only issue I have is thr throttle is very touchy and I feel like only have 70% range.

carguy96

Established Member
I have an Accufab on my 2.2KB.

Now my car has/had lots of issues and still needs a SC rebuild and new tune. But, I've not had any issues because of the single blade. Cruise control works fine. Idles at 850 and the only issue I have is thr throttle is very touchy and I feel like only have 70% range.

The throttle is more touchy that stock?
And what do you mean by you only feel like you have 70% range?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I can't comment on the 70%, but the SBTB does help with throttle response. It's all about the volume of air. The SBTB is allowing more air at the same throttle blade angle as the stocker. So the engine tends to react quicker. It's not a bad thing IMO.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The throttle is more touchy that stock?
And what do you mean by you only feel like you have 70% range?
I'm WOT long before the pedal hits the floor. Likely just some cable adjustment. Same goes for the idle.

Can't comment on stock TB, been a decand since I've driven a stock Terminator.

stangfreak

Established Member
You should not have to adjust your cable. For me, the gen 2 billetflow blows the accufab away. even the quality is better. The gen 2 billetflow to my knowledge is the only one that created the proper cam design geometry, fix the cruise control issue, fix the pedal height due to the right cam design and remove the short throttle feel. I had three accufabs and I was able to tell the ride quality. Noway the accufab was like stock. The gen 2 billetflow is just like the factory throttle body. From top to bottom of the acceleration is was perfect.

My buddy installed an accufab on his cobra and swore up and down it was flawless. Just like stock alex! I swear. I drove his car and right off the bat I was like dude, not even close to stock or proper throttle feel. The we let my other friend who owned a corvette drive the cobra and without saying anything, the vette owner said, wow your throttle is short and feels like its going WOT too soon. Kid sold the accufab, got the gen 2 billet, problem solved. so it cant be my imagination lol. sorry for getting off topic haha. flame suit on!

carguy96

Established Member
You should not have to adjust your cable. For me, the gen 2 billetflow blows the accufab away. even the quality is better. The gen 2 billetflow to my knowledge is the only one that created the proper cam design geometry, fix the cruise control issue, fix the pedal height due to the right cam design and remove the short throttle feel. I had three accufabs and I was able to tell the ride quality. Noway the accufab was like stock. The gen 2 billetflow is just like the factory throttle body. From top to bottom of the acceleration is was perfect.

My buddy installed an accufab on his cobra and swore up and down it was flawless. Just like stock alex! I swear. I drove his car and right off the bat I was like dude, not even close to stock or proper throttle feel. The we let my other friend who owned a corvette drive the cobra and without saying anything, the vette owner said, wow your throttle is short and feels like its going WOT too soon. Kid sold the accufab, got the gen 2 billet, problem solved. so it cant be my imagination lol. sorry for getting off topic haha. flame suit on!

I’ve heard that the BF TBs are the best you can get in Regards to aftermarket TBs.
I had a lead on one that was for sale on here but the owner sold it to someone else on me.
Didn’t know there was a gen 2 BF TB.

cj428mach

Established Member
Ive had a billetflow and an accufab. The billetflow was junk and couldn't idle below 1000rpms with tuning tricks. The accufab idle was able to go as low as i wantrd but it was an older model with the wrong throttle cam. I did the "driveability" mod listed here and it solved the cruise control issue but the pedal was light.

The best solution is a vmp with a gt500 throttlebody.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The we let my other friend who owned a corvette drive the cobra and without saying anything, the vette owner said, wow your throttle is short and feels like its going WOT too soon. Kid sold the accufab, got the gen 2 billet, problem solved. so it cant be my imagination lol. sorry for getting off topic haha. flame suit on!

Going WOT too soon? Can't say I ever had that problem.

Jiffy

Established Member
I have the same setup - 2.3 G1 Whipple with an Accufab SBTB.
The idle is too high (1,000rpms) and there is a hint of stickiness off idle when applying the throttle.
No issues with the Cruise Control, other than the car makes so much more power than stock that going up a hill, the CC wil try to accelerate as hard as it originally would, which makes the car overshoot the CC 'coast' point, so the blade closes completely, then it slows too far, then it opens again and the car accelerates too fast - so at lower speeds with CC on going up a hill, often the car is lurching back and forward at 3-5 second intervals.
On the flat, or at speed, no issue.

carguy96

Established Member
I have the same setup - 2.3 G1 Whipple with an Accufab SBTB.
The idle is too high (1,000rpms) and there is a hint of stickiness off idle when applying the throttle.
No issues with the Cruise Control, other than the car makes so much more power than stock that going up a hill, the CC wil try to accelerate as hard as it originally would, which makes the car overshoot the CC 'coast' point, so the blade closes completely, then it slows too far, then it opens again and the car accelerates too fast - so at lower speeds with CC on going up a hill, often the car is lurching back and forward at 3-5 second intervals.
On the flat, or at speed, no issue.

Ok well it seems like you've got some little things that need worked out. I guess when I get the car dyno tuned I will ask my tuner to try to dial in the accufab TB as best he can. At this point HP numbers don't impress me as much as normal driveability does.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I have the accufab SBTB, mine has the Cruise control issue feels worst when i hit resume it feels like it slams the pedal when resuming speed. Don't have the sticky throttle or high idle though.

Users who are viewing this thread