Ace clutch and correct bearing shim.

Softballer77

Established Member
Short: Wrong spacers sent with kit. (2) CORRECT 0.050 shims, (1) INCORRECT 1.00" shim.

The incorrect one was supposed to be only 1/2". NOT 1". So as I was told by the manufacturer, it was basically burning itself up at a stop sign.

For all those installing the ACE twin disk clutch from ACE, or the same ones sold through Shelby American, make SURE you use the black .50" spacer with the other (2) 0.050" spacers for your throwout bearing. Not the aluminum silver finish 1.00 spacer. Mine lasted a tad over 5k miles with one day at the strip. Your clutch will end up looking like below...

Ace is fully covering the clutch unit, shipping out next day and should be installed tomorrow. Darryl has been outstanding with his customer service dealing with this issue. Engineering got involved as well so it's a noted situation. Just everyone make sure of the shims they are using.

20150701_114410.jpg

20150701_121053.jpg

20150701_121057.jpg

20150701_121117.jpg

20150701_132605.jpg

STTOCK

The Man
Established Member
Glad you figured out your problem and the company took care of you! I'm sure the clutch will have a different feel now lol.

carguy19

Established Member
Short: Wrong spacers sent with kit. (2) CORRECT 0.050 shims, (1) INCORRECT 1.00" shim.

The incorrect one was supposed to be only 1/2". NOT 1". So as I was told by the manufacturer, it was basically burning itself up at a stop sign.

For all those installing the ACE twin disk clutch from ACE, or the same ones sold through Shelby American, make SURE you use the black .50" spacer with the other (2) 0.050" spacers for your throwout bearing. Not the aluminum silver finish 1.00 spacer. Mine lasted a tad over 5k miles with one day at the strip. Your clutch will end up looking like below...

Ace is fully covering the clutch unit, shipping out next day and should be installed tomorrow. Darryl has been outstanding with his customer service dealing with this issue. Engineering got involved as well so it's a noted situation. Just everyone make sure of the shims they are using.

View attachment 45392

View attachment 45386

View attachment 45387

View attachment 45388

View attachment 45391

Thats pretty brutal. You didnt smell clutch at all??

Softballer77

Established Member
Towards the end I did but strangely that was the only time. Maybe it was just little burning off over a 5k mile worth of time, so a smell wasn't as evident? Idk...

STTOCK

The Man
Established Member
Towards the end I did but strangely that was the only time. Maybe it was just little burning off over a 5k mile worth of time, so a smell wasn't as evident? Idk...
You'd think you would've smelt it more at the beginning as there was more friction material. Crazy

Softballer77

Established Member
I think you meant .500 not .050. Big difference.

F

Nope. There are (2) that measure .050", and (1) that measures 0.500".

The big one in my kit was 1.00". Not 0.500".

Just spoke with Darryl again and he included a bunch of spacers in the new shippment to make sure it's dead on after a few measurements. I'll be calling him tomorrow during the install to relay measurements and ensure it's right. I will relay what we eventually end up with here to share with everyone who is interested.

got_h8rs?

Established Member

Just spoke with Darryl again and he included a bunch of spacers in the new shippment to make sure it's dead on after a few measurements. I'll be calling him tomorrow during the install to relay measurements and ensure it's right. I will relay what we eventually end up with here to share with everyone who is interested.

What did he say to measure once the spacers are in?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear the set back but glad it's working out.
I'm assuming this is an isolated mistake based on the fact Shelby has been selling/installing these for a while.
Please keep us posted.
-J

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Seems like this company has Q/C issues. Another member had a clutch that was missing spring spacers. Too bad that you had this happen. They need to work on checking their product better before it leaves

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I wonder if it's possible that the clutch is the reason for my P0300 code. It seems to only come on at idle with no throttle application. Maybe because the spacers are the wrong size, the clutch is interfering with the idle?

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I was the guy they forgot to send the post spacers to. these are totally different than this shim issue......

I never installed my Ace triple disk clutch simply due to the spacer issue. No one can give me a clear measurement or a clear # of shims to install. I have a stack of shims here literally 1.5 inches high, all about 1/8th inch thick. How many?? No one can tell me. they said just put them all in there......

#1. adding larger spacers will push the throwout bearing CLOSER to the pressure plate. Ace claims this drops the pedal and releases more to the floor. I believe they are 100% WRONG. this would RAISE the pedal and release near the top. Simple geometry tells me, the sooner the pressure plate touches the clutch throwout, the sooner the clutch disengages. this would be disengaging at the TOP of the pedal being closer. I see the OP is having the same issues they are having here...Misinformation.

REDUCING shim spacing should require more pedal to get the bearing to touch the clutch and release it.

I'd hate to install the clutch, find out it's the wrong shim spacing after pumping that damn pedal 200x to get the fluid moving and then go and tear it all apart again!!!!

So I've been driving it on the slipping clutch until I can get this figured out and have a 100% CORRECT answer how to install these parts!!! I do not want to be a guinea pig. especially after spending 2300.00

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member

Please share these measurements with me!!!

Softballer77

Established Member
This will probably be pretty long:

The measurements I gave up top were given to me by Darrell at Ace. Once he saw the pictures he immediately said "we sent the wrong shims". HOWEVER,

Later on after he did some research, he mentioned how he may have been incorrect. SO, we got a new bearing installed and installed the new clutch. According to the instructions and with using the "Bearing Setup Tool", you setup the tool by placing it against the diaphragm fingers on the clutch (installed). This gives you the standard measurement to go by. You then place the tool after it has been adjusted up against the transmission and bearing. You should have 0-1/8" of of space between the tool and the bearing face. If it's not, you add or subtract shims.

Now, with all that being said, using the smaller black shim that Darrell said was supposed to be used, we had to add tons of other shims just to get it close and it still wasn't close enough. So we put back in the thicker 1.00" aluminum/silver shim, and used (1) 0.050" spacer with it. This gave us our distance of about 1/16". Now before, we had a bigger shim and (2) smaller shims.

To me, this isn't that big of a difference from how it was before; however, the feel of this clutch compared to how the other one was brand new is like night and day. I know...it's easy to notice since the last one was so worn, BUT it was only 3 months ago that the other one was installed. So I remember very clearly how it felt. The old one also had a small amount of chatter at launch. This one has NONE. It engages about mid to high and when it grabs, you certainly know it. The other one when it was new did NOT grab like this one does.

I've driven it about 50 miles today, and it feels awesome. Time will tell, but for now it's great. So just to be clear, one 1" shim, and one 0.050" shim. Now the triple disk may require a different shimming. I don't know. Darrell could tell you. They just sent me a whole new kit even though it is fully rebuildable. I'm going to send the old unit back so they can further analyze it and maybe determine if there was something else wrong. Customer service was still top notch even considering.

20150702_115455.jpg

20150702_114850.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
This will probably be pretty long:

The measurements I gave up top were given to me by Darrell at Ace. Once he saw the pictures he immediately said "we sent the wrong shims". HOWEVER,

Later on after he did some research, he mentioned how he may have been incorrect. SO, we got a new bearing installed and installed the new clutch. According to the instructions and with using the "Bearing Setup Tool", you setup the tool by placing it against the diaphragm fingers on the clutch (installed). This gives you the standard measurement to go by. You then place the tool after it has been adjusted up against the transmission and bearing. You should have 0-1/8" of of space between the tool and the bearing face. If it's not, you add or subtract shims.

Now, with all that being said, using the smaller black shim that Darrell said was supposed to be used, we had to add tons of other shims just to get it close and it still wasn't close enough. So we put back in the thicker 1.00" aluminum/silver shim, and used (1) 0.050" spacer with it. This gave us our distance of about 1/16". Now before, we had a bigger shim and (2) smaller shims.

To me, this isn't that big of a difference from how it was before; however, the feel of this clutch compared to how the other one was brand new is like night and day. I know...it's easy to notice since the last one was so worn, BUT it was only 3 months ago that the other one was installed. So I remember very clearly how it felt. The old one also had a small amount of chatter at launch. This one has NONE. It engages about mid to high and when it grabs, you certainly know it. The other one when it was new did NOT grab like this one does.

I've driven it about 50 miles today, and it feels awesome. Time will tell, but for now it's great. So just to be clear, one 1" shim, and one 0.050" shim. Now the triple disk may require a different shimming. I don't know. Darrell could tell you. They just sent me a whole new kit even though it is fully rebuildable. I'm going to send the old unit back so they can further analyze it and maybe determine if there was something else wrong. Customer service was still top notch even considering.

View attachment 45443

View attachment 45444
Now where did you get this measuring tool from? Also could you possibly post a better picture of it. I'm assuming that the arms sit against the bellhousing mating face

Users who are viewing this thread