Added a GT350 to the fleet of 500s

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
Grabbed myself a nice 18 GT350 with 4800 miles on it a couple of weeks ago. Looking to daily it, without doing much for mods since my 500 is already over 700whp.

I plan on a fresh oil change in the spring so I can see if shes eating oil or not. But what are the "must do" mods to make a nice reliable driver?

Also needs a lower valence since there isnt one on the car. Think of spending the extra cheddar on the R front. Any thoughts there?

Thanks!!!
f9288c268f30cb09bb13e2961f360322.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1FASFKR

Established Member
R spoiler = looks cool = more scrape.

Early production 350, there's a chance it could use oil. New ring and piston packs were installed for model year 18 but nobody can pinpoint exactly when the changes went into effect. The 18's have certainly held up well anyway. Most the oil eaters are 17's from what I've been seeing and reading. My personal advice is to stick with the Motorcraft 5/50 and just change it every 4k.

Last edited:

1FASFKR

Established Member
Scrape might be an issue then. My driveway has a little bit of an angle when you first enter it.

I have an R. I scrape it every time I drive it. It's unavoidable. It's like finger nails on the chalkboard to me but I've learned to accept certain things. One thing you can do is make sure your front tires are aired up 100%.

ANGREY

Established Member
Mods are in this order:

1) things that will protect your car/investment: Rock blockers (to protect the paint) and at least a passenger side catch can (I've only ever read one single instance where someone had oil in the driver's side can, so it's a pretty safe bet to just run the passenger side). I recommend the JLT 3.0 simply because it's the easiest to access/check dump the oil. There's quite a few. The FRPP looks the most "OEM" and professional. A set of either ZL1 add on spoiler protectors and/or the Sliplo stick ons to protect the underside of your spoiler, which will scrape in a lot of ramps and parking garages and shitty approaches that aren't per DOT spec. Lastly, if you're gonna do a lot of maintenance yourself, i'd recommend either the jacking rails or the jacking blocks (blocks are cheaper, lighter, but also more restrictive in where you can put the jack/lift).

2) Things that help you enjoy the car more or cosmetic. Things like hood struts, LED side markers (world of difference) 4th brake light, sequential brake lights, window tint (a must for those of us in FL), radar detector with mirror mount, coolant ("grenade") reservoir cover or new tank, etc.

3) Performance improvements. CAI and tune, headers, cat deletes, auto blip, wheels (pretty sizeable performance difference), shifter, rear diff gears, rear seat delete, racing harness, exhaust valve modules, and of course blowers, etc if you go that route.

ANGREY

Established Member
Forgot to mention the clutch spring. I didn't really care for the clutch engagement with the new assist, it's take it or leave it for most guys. $18 and it returns the clutch to a more traditional travel/feel.

Silver Talon

Established Member
Forgot to mention the clutch spring. I didn't really care for the clutch engagement with the new assist, it's take it or leave it for most guys. $18 and it returns the clutch to a more traditional travel/feel.
This will probably be my first mod! The clutch is horrid in this car! The cam like action is foolish at best.

Silver Talon

Established Member
Where would I find said replacement clutch spring? Its not the steeda 35 lb spring is it? It's all I can seem to find at the moment.

Drewsky65

Established Member
From my gathering from having mine a few years now.

Don’t do the R chin spoiler if your going to daily it. Your going to scrape as is. It will just add to the scraping more. Besides the looks aren’t all that different. It just sticks out a little more on the edges lol.

Oil separators. The driver side doesn’t do anything at all but the passenger side does. I like the ford performance because they look stock and like they belong there. Other brands prolly work the same tho.

Front rock blockers. The foam things you can shove in don’t do as much as the actual plastic skirts. There are many companies that make these now days. These are a must!

I have the blue ( non oiled )ford performance air filter. I like it. Looks better and can be cleaned. The stock yellow gets dirty quick granted it prolly works the same.

I run AMSoil in mine. This is a ford approved oil for these cars and the dealership will do it if you bring it to them. If your anal like me on keeping the warranty up just in case. It seems to run a little smoother but that’s just my opinion. There are 100000 threads on oil in these Shelby’s haha.

The clutch spring.. I hated it at first and now love it. Did the steeda spring from all the rave reviews. But went back to stock after a few months. It takes a while to get used to but I learned to love it actually!

Hope this helps a little! I can add more if you’d like.

Users who are viewing this thread