Adding an EGR

scotts99snake

Established Member
I want to buy a TVS supercharger for my cobra but being in NYS I don't want to deal with not having an egr. If it is shut off in the tune I MAY pass but nothing has been confirmed yet. (They recently changed the inspection process here. I can have only 1 monitor not set.)

I should be able to mount my EGR valve to the back of the TVS to introduce the exhaust into the supercharger. (Having drilled the proper holes.) My big question is if I was to build a bracket to mount the egr valve to and then run a line into the elbow, would that work? It is still getting the exhaust gasses to the same point, just taking a different route. In theory it should work. Anyone have any thoughts?

cj428mach

Established Member
Supposedly Stieg will modify a TVS for EGR and its not that expensive. I'm still waiting for VMP to decide if they'll make one or not as I'm ready to buy as soon as they add it. I'm really surprised they haven't put more effort into solving EGR problems either coming up with an EGR equipped case or partnering with someone like stieg or another company to modify their TVS for EGR. I mean if I pay Stieg to modify the case is VMP going to warranty it? A guy just had his TVS lock up in the first week of owning it, I'd hate to pay to have my TVS modified for EGR then have it lock up immediately and VMP tell me to go pound sand since its been modified. I kind of feel like they're dropping the ball on this.

scotts99snake

Established Member
Supposedly Stieg will modify a TVS for EGR and its not that expensive. I'm still waiting for VMP to decide if they'll make one or not as I'm ready to buy as soon as they add it. I'm really surprised they haven't put more effort into solving EGR problems either coming up with an EGR equipped case or partnering with someone like stieg or another company to modify their TVS for EGR. I mean if I pay Stieg to modify the case is VMP going to warranty it? A guy just had his TVS lock up in the first week of owning it, I'd hate to pay to have my TVS modified for EGR then have it lock up immediately and VMP tell me to go pound sand since its been modified. I kind of feel like they're dropping the ball on this.

I guess I should have researched it more. I pulled the KB off my car and sold it. Now I have money in hand ready to buy a TVS but I don't dare pull the trigger. I would hate to buy it to find out I can't get it to pass inspection. Then, sell it for a loss and buy another blower. The fix seems so simple in my head. Isn't the TVS built by Eaton? They obviously know were the EGR is mounted.
Now, if I was able to use the elbow as the inlet for the egr gasses, I wouldn't be drilling the case, I would be drilling into a part I could safely get at and clean.

cj428mach

Established Member
The hard part would probably be getting the EGR valve in just the exact location to line up with the rigid EGR tube. If it was flexible like GM uses it wouldn't be that bad.

VMP also directs you to cobra engineering say they're working on an EGR solution but if you email them they say "someday..maybe..."

I currently have a whipple and cash burning a hole in my pocket. I want to remove the whipple to go with bigger injectors for E85 and at that time replace it with a TVS, all I'm waiting on is a solution to this.

scotts99snake

Established Member
I pulled the trigger and ordered one. I think I am going to have it tuned without the egr to begin with. Hopefully it passes inspection. I have a couple of different ideas as to how I would put the egr on later. The biggest issue right now is how to mount the dpfe, boost bypass, and boost dump solenoid.

CobraCarrera

Established Member
I was in the same boat. Got no definate answer about the TVS so I am going Whipple 2.9...I am surprised that when they designed the TVS they did not include provisions for EGR. I am not about to start fooling around and worrying about passing emissions in my state if and when they decde to be more strict. Been there and done that already in another state. The extra hp/tq compared to the Whipple 2.3 is not worth it in my opinion. I am going 2.9 for future upgrades.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I agree. I am another one going 2.9 because TVS hasn't bothered with an EGR.

Users who are viewing this thread