advancetrac setting for snow

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Got snow shoes for this winter and the car has done surprisingly well for being rwd.

For guys who dd in the snow, do you turn advancetrac completely off or use sport mode?

alex12gt

Established Member
in the past i have turned it completely off there are times the car may slide and its easier for me to slightly correct then it is for the tc to start kicking in.....i find the nannies more of a hindrance in the snow than anything

NickSezz

Established Member
I personally use all on or sport whenever I get caught in bad weather. I really depends on the condition.

Having the TCS only off lets you get off the line in the snow without holding you back to much but if you start to get off track the advance track will help you out. Either way you have to be careful...

When completely stuck you will likely have to shut everything off to get out of the hole.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
thanks for the responses. i tried both and i think i like having a little nanny better with sport mode except for donuts.

still amazed at how well the car did over the stock pirelli all seasons. i had an ms3 with snow tires for a few winters and i think the mustang might be better than fwd...

1. starting off at a dig seems even and my trunk was empty.
2. car is easier to turn.
3. when snowplowing, rwd maintains traction despite the front end lifting.

mhyjek

Established Member
Got snow shoes for this winter and the car has done surprisingly well for being rwd.

For guys who dd in the snow, do you turn advancetrac completely off or use sport mode?
What kind of snows?
I would leave in sport mode will let you spin a bit to clear tires but stability control still there if need it. I have genesis coupe besides the mustang long story why; but just ordered snows for it, comes with summer only tires and with 1/2 inch of snow the car was all over the road. It has similar setting where you can take traction off with stability left on will check it out when snows come in. For now it is squeezing my cheeks and praying before and after I get home lol. I would rather drive my mustang to be honest because at least with a V8 tq band is linear with 2.0T the car needs boost to move and it is a nightmare and my commute is all hills so boost is 1/8 inch of a gas pedal away.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I've driven around North Texas in our ice storm the past couple of days with TC and AdvanceTrac both turned on and off. Honestly, I like it better off because it's up to me to control the car. I'd rather not be making adjustments myself, then the car kicks in and throws everything out of whack.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
I have a friend with a 12 gt that runs the blizzaks and he says the car runs like a 4x4 in the snow with them on. He drives it all year in the midwest winters.

ExTurbo

Established Member
I was white knuckled with the pirellis, luckily i was able to borrow my grandmothers camry. Next year winter performance tires are going on cause these pirellis are useless in the snow. Everywhere else they are fine and even have decent traction in the cold, they just arent meant for snow apparently

DanenGraham

Established Member
Just got some Falken hs449, 225/60/18 for the stock GT wheels. (almost 29" tires) We got about 1/2" the other day, not much but enough to make it slick out. Just driving around i cant say it makes much of a difference on or off, and if anything everything ON will just help save the tires for next year. If im just driving to work, i will leave everything on. If i want to do some drifts or just play around, i turn everything off.

I will say that i hate all the new Traction and Stability controls on cars now days that you cannot defeat completely. Loved my 04 Ranger FX4L2, it was so much fun in the snow. Drifts for days.

Now my 2012 Jeep JKU, can only turn off traction control in 2wd, you CAN NOT defeat stability control in 2wd... So no drifts, no fun. You can defeat stability in 4x4 and while that is nice for when its 8-12" and off road, it does little in the way of higher speed drifts on the street.

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
What kind of snows?

goodyear ultra grip ice wrt from tire rack mounted on the stock rims. these are much better than my previous set of dunlop graspics. maybe this is why the mustang is doing just as well in the snow as the ms3.

they're not a "performance" snow tire like blizzaks so they suck more when it's dry and warmer out, but they have better reviews in the snow and are cheaper.

we live on a "hill of death" and my neighbor had more trouble getting up and down in his wrangler.

Nuar

Established Member
I drove my last stang (2000gt) in the snow for 5 winters, with snow tires is was much easier to drive. I use to always turn the traction control off. It would bog the car down to a point where i couldnt get it moving from a stop.
I much preferred to have the T/C off.

kingnut

Established Member
i had an ms3 with snow tires for a few winters and i think the mustang might be better than fwd...

z-lol-nope.gif

Users who are viewing this thread