Advice about fuel system on Termy motor swap

APMotorsports

Established Member
Ok I have a 98 Cobra with the weird fuel tank. I am swapping an 04 Cobra motor and trans. The car is going to have headers, ported blower, pulleys (2.8 upper and 4lbs lower), JLT cold air, and etc. Shooting for 550-600 RWHP.

Here's the question, should I swap an 03/04 tank and lines, or put a high output aviator pump and a 255 inline pump, or swap to a 96-97 tank and pump, or other suggestions...

I know that I can't put a 03/04 style pump or a walbro in my tank, so what's the best opition?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
aeromotive has a new intank pump that just came out- I suggest looking into it. I got ****ed because I just spent 1700 on a complete fuel system to only have a little over 600 to the wheels and a month later this came out.:nonono:

FORD4U

Established Member
well i think alot depends on the computer you use, one is return style while the other is not, and from what i understand is that the return style is a little better. not fully sure what your full build is though,

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
does running return style concern the computer? cause I know that the 03/04 guys aren't switching their pcm in order to run return style-I know that they delete the FPDM though I think to go return style.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Personally what I'm gonna do is buy the UPR or MMR intak hate and run external pumps like the weldon or aeromotive. Then use braided line and an aftermarket regulator. If ur going to spend the money ya know.

RamboCobra

GET SOME!
Established Member
i swaped every thing over its easyer that way. i have twin gt pumps with 63lb and im gunna run E85 with a 175 wet. 550 600 whp is a bit much dont plan on those numbers maybe low 5s

Last edited:

95SC

Banned
I have swapped whole 03 fuel system into mine , works great.Stock 03 Cobra fuel system with KB BAP and 60lb injectors will support your power easy.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
It can get expensive fast.

I did the glenn's performance 1000 hp setup with fore rails and a FRPS blockoff plate on mine. It was a bit overkill.

In hindsight, I'm starting to feel more strongly about the stock fuel system. The biggest problem is the stock 98 tank isn't designed as well as an 03/04 tank. You can swap it out (~$300 I think) and use your 98 hat, modify the 03/04 hat or buy a fore hat if you want to go that route.

The fore hat is an incredibly high quality piece but it's $455. You need to buy 2 pumps, I don't know what the aviators go for but I think it's around $200 so you're up to $855.

Or you can do a complete conversion and get a sleeper/sump tank, pumps, y-block, filter, FPR and new lines for another $729.

1000 hp glenn's setup ($1579)
GP 1000HP Mustang Sleeper Tank Fuel System (1998-2004) Glenn's Performance

Either way you still need fuel rails. Fore rails are $330. The FRPS blockoff is another $25.

My advice would be to stick a single high flow pump in (http://thmotorsports.com/aeromotive/aeromotive_fuel_pump_340_stealth_pump/11141/i-403938.aspx) with 60# injectors and get an 03/04 tank and see how far it goes. Make sure you've got a competent tuner. If you run out of fuel, modify an 03/04 hat for return style and add another pump and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

Mustang Matt

Established Member
39# injectors max out around 510 rwhp.

The thing is you don't want your injectors maxed out. So 42 might support 550ish but they're going to be close to pegged. I think 60# injectors max out around 650.

550-600 is tough to do with an eaton though. Maybe try your 42# injectors and see how it goes. Just be careful not to run it lean. Do you have a wideband installed?

APMotorsports

Established Member
My tuner will def. have the wide band, and will not run the car lean. Just trying to not waste money if they aren't needed. But at the same time it's not money wasted if there's a slight chance to mess something up.

95SC

Banned
39# injectors max out around 510 rwhp.

The thing is you don't want your injectors maxed out. So 42 might support 550ish but they're going to be close to pegged. I think 60# injectors max out around 650.

03-04 Cobra injectors are "39lb" that's actually 39lb @ 39psi fuel pressure. The 42lb injectors are 42lb @ 43.5psi fuel pressure. When you do the calculation for the 39lb @ 43.5psi, they're actually 41.2lb injectors plus the terminator injectors flow pattern is much better than the standard bosch 42 lb injectors.

The EV6's have a wider spray pattern for a more even air/fuel mixture entering the combustion chamber of multi-valve intake cylinder heads . The 42# "green top" injectors are the older EV1 style and have a narrower spray pattern. The EV6 injectors are a bit more efficient and seem to react faster than the EV1's so they may be able to keep up with higher duty cycles

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread