Advice for purchasing an 04 Cobra

Carson Styron

Established Member
Checked out an 04 Cobra this weekend. 64k miles. He's the second owner and has put on 4k miles over 4 years of owning. Magnaflow exhaust, 2.76 pulley rest is stock. He said he replaced alternator couple thousand miles ago. He wasnt originally wanting to sell it. He wants $21k for it. Anyone think its overpriced? I think it honestly is worth that, but I can only do some much research on cobras. I know what to generally look for in a car and this specific car, but hoping to get some extra opinions. Unfortunately forgot to get a picture of the engine bay, but i saw no leakage and heard no off noises.
20200726_140540.jpeg
20200726_140459.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
If you do buy, get it checked out professionally and get a compression test. Thatd be my main concern. Then check tune and or get a tune. Never can trust previous owners if they've modded/demodded and or dont have a correct tune done.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Could be a tad a high, maybe you can get him down a bit, it is a 04 which tends to be slightly more desirable than the 03 (more spark plug threads, has the head tick fix I can't remember what it was, I think the exhaust cats has a difference also)

Anyhow if you really like the car and it's local, maybe go for it. I don't see it depreciating any. Plus just think of how much you're saving to not ship the car......

Good luck! and keep us posted.......

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Could be a tad a high, maybe you can get him down a bit, it is a 04 which tends to be slightly more desirable than the 03 (more spark plug threads, has the head tick fix I can't remember what it was, I think the exhaust has a difference also)

Anyhow if you really like the car and it's local, maybe go for it. I don't see it depreciating any and you could think of how much you're saving to not ship the car......

Good luck! and keep us posted.......
Just a quick correction to your post. The '04 didn't have the head tick fix, so unfortunately the '04 Cobras can experience it, too. The good news, though, is the only a small percentage of '03-'04 Cobras have developed the head tick. The permanent fix for this head tick issue didn't happen until Ford released a revised head in January, 2005.

Here's a full list of differences between the 2003-2004 Cobra from my Terminator FAQs.

What are the differences between the 2003-2004 Cobra?

Changes were mainly limited to color and trim. New exterior paint offerings for 2004 were Torch Red (re-introduced after being discontinued mid-year on the 2003), Screaming Yellow and Competition Orange.

An optional Mystichrome package with an exterior paint treatment that changes color when viewed from different angles was offered for 2004. Inside the Mystichrome Cobra, the leather seat inserts and the steering wheel cover also shift colors.

Interior wise, the 2004 Charcoal Gray seating added dark gray inserts. 2003's were lighter gray.

Other differences:
● The 2003 radio decks came with an AUX 20 pin port in the back. The 2004 had the SAT button.
● The door lock on the drivers side on 2003 Cobras were black, 2004 Cobras were chrome.
● The 2004 the cats were bigger.
● Early run 2003s came with a trunk cargo net.
● Early 2003s came with a black antenna; then changed to silver.
● Early 2003s had adjustable center interior vents; adjustment lever was removed after that.
● The 2003 had a small interior headliner cargo net. It was deleted for 2004.
● The computer codes were different between the two model years.

Hope everything works out for you, Carson. You pretty much know how to check a vehicle over, and hopefully you can get a compression check just for assurance. Keep us posted.

Carson Styron

Established Member
If you do buy, get it checked out professionally and get a compression test. Thatd be my main concern. Then check tune and or get a tune. Never can trust previous owners if they've modded/demodded and or dont have a correct tune done.
You think it would be smart to replace the fuel rail pressure sensor when i buy it just to be safe? Along with other cobra problem parts?

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
You think it would be smart to replace the fuel rail pressure sensor when i buy it just to be safe? Along with other cobra problem parts?

I wouldnt be so concerned about that. If anything else, check all oils and replace. Supercharger oil, trans, radiator and H/E, brake, steering, diff, etc. Getting up there in higher miles, and these cars are approaching being 2 decades old, make sure those fluids have been changed at least once before, and if not, do them immediately.

Carson Styron

Established Member
I wouldnt be so concerned about that. If anything else, check all oils and replace. Supercharger oil, trans, radiator and H/E, brake, steering, diff, etc. Getting up there in higher miles, and these cars are approaching being 2 decades old, make sure those fluids have been changed at least once before, and if not, do them immediately.
Okay so just general preventative maintenance. Its approaching 65k, anything else specific to look out for, for this mileage?

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Just make sure you take it for a thorough test drive and make sure all gears shift true, and the clutch is alright. Everything else has been touched on.

Like i said, most importantly, i'd have the compression test done just to make sure the engine is good. Then a tune to make sure your air/fuel is good so you don't blow your engine, especially if you plan on getting on the car often.

Carson Styron

Established Member
Just make sure you take it for a thorough test drive and make sure all gears shift true, and the clutch is alright. Everything else has been touched on.

Like i said, most importantly, i'd have the compression test done just to make sure the engine is good. Then a tune to make sure your air/fuel is good so you don't blow your engine, especially if you plan on getting on the car often.
The clutch was nice and firm and all the gears were smooth, it was hard to find any problems with the mechanical side of things. Just like havin more experienced cobra owners as an extra eye and see if they got any extra tips haha. I really do appreciate all the info.

Users who are viewing this thread