Advice on upcoming mods.

CobraKid04

Established Member
Hi all,

Purchased my 13 gt500 last May ,stock with 4500 miles. I did bmr springs, control arm relo brackets, adj. Sway and 18 rim with MT SS last summer. Fun, but certainly needs a little more HP.

My car is just a weekend toy with a friendly highway race here and there. I plan the following mods and calling it a day with power.

My question is, am I missing anything and will my power be safe?

Power mods

PMAS intake
Vmp twin 69
Cattless H
Dyno tune- been going to the same guy for 15 years and he is one of the best in cbus Ohio.

Support mods
MGW
Tensioner pulley
170 t-stat
Nguage

I plan on tuning with 93 and boostane professional ( thinking 96-98 octane) to prevent detonation/ knock. I will use it on every fill up.

Also plan on setting the limiter to 6500 and shifting around 6200.

Knowing all of this, am I missing anything important and will these mods push the engine limits?

Thanks for your time

Mike

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Hi all,

Purchased my 13 gt500 last May ,stock with 4500 miles. I did bmr springs, control arm relo brackets, adj. Sway and 18 rim with MT SS last summer. Fun, but certainly needs a little more HP.

My car is just a weekend toy with a friendly highway race here and there. I plan the following mods and calling it a day with power.

Power mods

PMAS intake
Vmp twin 69
Cattless H
Dyno tune- been going to the same guy for 15 years and he is one of the best in cbus Ohio.

Support mods
MGW
Tensioner pulley
170 t-stat
Nguage

I plan on tuning with 93 and boostane professional ( thinking 96-98 octane) to prevent detonation/ knock. I will use it on every fill up.

Knowing all of this, am I missing anything important and will these mods push the engine limits?

Thanks for your time

Mike
I have every bolt on engine mod you are planning to install. Everyone has told me thay are pretty safe if you dont tread around redline to often. I have also heard that the boostane every tank is to much by a few guys unless you are 750rwhp+ (and you may as well go with e85 then). It will just pull some timing if knock is detected. I am picky and only buy the best 93 octane I can find though. The “safety” is in the tune for the most part. Having said all of that, there is always some inherent risk in adding performance mods without a built bottom end. I enjoy my power gains daily as I drive the tires off... I do stay out of redline because that is the biggest single area of risk on stock internals with our 5.8 trinity’s I hear. I am learning myself and no professional by any means, so take it with a grain of salt. You will love the performance gains for sure with what you listed done with a good tune! Enjoy.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Hi all,

Power mods

PMAS intake
Vmp twin 69
Cattless H

Support mods
MGW
Tensioner pulley
170 t-stat
Nguage

Thanks for your time

Mike

Not sure the 170stat will make any diff.

Shifting seems abit low. Crank it out to 6800-7000.
Power will be fine and manageable.
Consider doing 4.10s. These cars really like the help getting out the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraKid04

Established Member
I have every bolt on engine mod you are planning to install. Everyone has told me thay are pretty safe if you dont tread around redline to often. I have also heard that the boostane every tank is to much by a few guys unless you are 750rwhp+ (and you may as well go with e85 then). It will just pull some timing if knock is detected. I am picky and only buy the best 93 octane I can find though. The “safety” is in the tune for the most part. Having said all of that, there is always some inherent risk in adding performance mods without a built bottom end. I enjoy my power gains daily as I drive the tires off... I do stay out of redline because that is the biggest single area of risk on stock internals with our 5.8 trinity’s I hear. I am learning myself and no professional by any means, so take it with a grain of salt. You will love the performance gains for sure with what you listed done with a good tune! Enjoy.

Thanks for the reply.

Yea, it seems RPM is a big killer of the rods.

I figure if I fill up with 93,a bit of boostane will only help. Maybe 96-98 octane is excessive? I just want a bit of safety with the 93.

CobraKid04

Established Member
Not sure the 170stat will make any diff.

Shifting seems abit low. Crank it out to 6800-7000.
Power will be fine and manageable.
Consider doing 4.10s. These cars really like the help getting out the hole.

6800-7000 everything I read says RPM kills the rods.

I'd like to go 4.10 someday, but am worried I will miss the long legs on the highway.

Tezz500

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.

Yea, it seems RPM is a big killer of the rods.

I figure if I fill up with 93,a bit of boostane will only help. Maybe 96-98 octane is excessive? I just want a bit of safety with the 93.

You don’t need boostane with your mods.
You can run 93 pump all day long and crank to 7000rpm.

Once you get above 800rwhp.. you might wanna consider cracking open the block.

Also, you’re gonna need to upgrade the clutch soon. Do that when you get Long Tubes.

Tezz500

Established Member

I'd like to go 4.10 someday, but am worried I will miss the long legs on the highway.

Everything you read is what you’ve read.
Everything I’m telling you is real world experience. I run it like I’m trying to skull **** the rods through the side of the block and I’ve been doing it for 24k. These motors are tough and will handle up to 800rwhp.

Make sure your tune is correct and you’ll be just fine.

4.10s will be completely fine. The 6th gear on these cars is ridiculously tall.

CobraKid04

Established Member
Everything you read is what you’ve read.
Everything I’m telling you is real world experience. I run it like I’m trying to skull **** the rods through the side of the block and I’ve been doing it for 24k. These motors are tough and will handle up to 800rwhp.

Make sure your tune is correct and you’ll be just fine.

4.10s will be completely fine. The 6th gear on these cars is ridiculously tall.

Fair enough. I'm just looking to keep it relatively safe and not end up spending 20k on a built motor.

Tezz500

Established Member
Fair enough. I'm just looking to keep it relatively safe and not end up spending 20k on a built motor.

With the mods your planning you will need:
Clutch Upgrade
Gears
Proper tune on 93

And you will be fine.

I would also recommend Long Tube headers. They make a big difference... it really frees up the bottle neck for these engines. You’ll literally drop 1-2lbs of boost on the stock TVS. Meaning your blower isn’t as restricted and isn’t creating as much heat.

Do that and hang on. You’re gonna have a lot of fun.

CobraKid04

Established Member
With the mods your planning you will need:
Clutch Upgrade
Gears
Proper tune on 93

And you will be fine.

I would also recommend Long Tube headers. They make a big difference... it really frees up the bottle neck for these engines. You’ll literally drop 1-2lbs of boost on the stock TVS. Meaning your blower isn’t as restricted and isn’t creating as much heat.

Do that and hang on. You’re gonna have a lot of fun.

Yea, longtubes were definitely on the future mod list. Im hoping the stock clutch hold for at least one summer.

Edit: tezz 500 how do you like you McLeod 1200?

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member

4.10’s are my very next order of business. Ive not heard of a single person who doesn’t love swapping out to them. Cant wait!

CobraKid04

Established Member
Can someone tell me what belt and size to go with a 2.4 pulley and 90mm idler pulley with bracket.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I have a brand new PMAS intake FS in the marketplace, bought it for my 13 but never used it and sold off a bunch of bolt on engine parts I had laying around that was to go on my 13 car.

Revan's website says 84" belt stock TVS with a 2.4 pulley.

I also have a Lethal full stainless ORX pipe I haven't listed yet FS available in great shape can send pics, connects to stock manifolds and axle pipes.

Tony

CobraKid04

Established Member
I have a brand new PMAS intake FS in the marketplace, bought it for my 13 but never used it and sold off a bunch of bolt on engine parts I had laying around that was to go on my 13 car.

Revan's website says 84" belt stock TVS with a 2.4 pulley.

I also have a Lethal full stainless ORX pipe I haven't listed yet FS available in great shape can send pics, connects to stock manifolds and axle pipes.

Tony

I already have all the mods, thanks though.

Users who are viewing this thread