aem digital a/f

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Does anyone have any problems with the accuracy on these? On my dyno sheets my a/f is at 11.7 across the whole rpm range , when I go wot on the street my aem pegs out at 10.0 . I replaced the censor with a new one and same thing . Would I be better off with a mechanical gauge rather than digital , or is there something that's causing it to peg out ?

2002BLGT

Established Member
It was tuned on a mustang dyno. I'm not sure what you mean by loaded dyno. Sorry. I don't know much about dyno tuning.

Where was the wideband at on the dyno ? Where is the sensor located on the AEM ? lots of things can cause the wideband to read off from the dyno , load being one reason

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
My wideband censor is in the x pipe. It was hooked in the same spot on the dyno. I could see it being off a little bit but mine pegs out at 10.0. I'm pretty sure that's as low as the gauge reads. It's not even close to 11.7 .

boost4me

Banned
Mine won't read properly on E85... shows consistently about 1 to 1.5 leaner than the dyno. So if the dyno says 14.7 it will show 15.7 or so. We put it in Lambda mode and it reads correctly in lambda mode.

boost4me

Banned
My wideband censor is in the x pipe. It was hooked in the same spot on the dyno. I could see it being off a little bit but mine pegs out at 10.0. I'm pretty sure that's as low as the gauge reads. It's not even close to 11.7 .

Mine pegs out at 10.0 also when I get on it and sure as shit, I know my a/f is fine on the dyno.

Something is definitely not right with the gauge or the sensor

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Mine pegs out at 10.0 also when I get on it and sure as shit, I know my a/f is fine on the dyno.

Something is definitely not right with the gauge or the sensor

Yeah I don't get it. The damn thing is useless. I guess I'll have to buy a different brand gauge.

boost4me

Banned
OK, I just ripped out my AEM gauge and sensor, and installed an NGK AFX with an Aeroforce and its dead on balls accurate. Doesn't bounce all over the place, reads exactly as it should.

The AEM kit is a PIECE of SHIT!!

Not sure if its the gauge, the Bosch 02 sensor or both. I know that just being able to do a free air calibration probably makes a big difference.

The interceptor also matches exactly what the AFX reads also. Just have to put the formula in so it lines up with the analog output voltages.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
OK, I just ripped out my AEM gauge and sensor, and installed an NGK AFX with an Aeroforce and its dead on balls accurate. Doesn't bounce all over the place, reads exactly as it should.

The AEM kit is a PIECE of SHIT!!

Not sure if its the gauge, the Bosch 02 sensor or both. I know that just being able to do a free air calibration probably makes a big difference.

The interceptor also matches exactly what the AFX reads also. Just have to put the formula in so it lines up with the analog output voltages.

I've been doing some research and I have read about changing output voltages as well to get the a/f to change on the gauge . The only problem is I have no idea how to do that . Do you do that with the datalogger ? I have diablosport intune and I can't get the datalogger to work at all . I obviously have no luck with electronics . :shrug:

boost4me

Banned
I've been doing some research and I have read about changing output voltages as well to get the a/f to change on the gauge . The only problem is I have no idea how to do that . Do you do that with the datalogger ? I have diablosport intune and I can't get the datalogger to work at all . I obviously have no luck with electronics . :shrug:

Which gauge are you talking about though? That's the problem with the AEM there are zero adjustments that can be made.

With the AFX and Aeroforce gauge I can put in the slope and intercept conversion information into the Aeroforce so that it reads the analog signal voltages properly off of the AFX controller. I can also do a free air calibration on the AFX controller.

The datalogger would just receive your analog inputs, but you would have to tell the diablo how to interpret the voltages using the slope and intercept information. AFX provides this information for you.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Which gauge are you talking about though? That's the problem with the AEM there are zero adjustments that can be made.

With the AFX and Aeroforce gauge I can put in the slope and intercept conversion information into the Aeroforce so that it reads the analog signal voltages properly off of the AFX controller. I can also do a free air calibration on the AFX controller.

The datalogger would just receive your analog inputs, but you would have to tell the diablo how to interpret the voltages using the slope and intercept information. AFX provides this information for you.

I'm talking about the aem a/f gauge . I watched a video on youtube of a guy calibrating his . It's pretty much a different language to me .lol . I will see if I can attach the link to the video . Calibrating AEM UEGO Wideband with DSMLink/ECMLink - YouTube
Check it out . Tell me if it makes sense to you. I need to figure this out . I have a lean protection module I need to install that reads off the a/f gauge so its not much good to me if I can't get the gauge working properly .

boost4me

Banned
ok I don't think this helps you re-calibrate your actual AEM gauge, this is only so that you can get the correct information going into your data logger using his methodology for correcting it. The problem is that if your using the AEM gauge which we know is not working as a reference though this isn't going to work. This gauge kit uses a bosch sensor and its just not that accurate...

I would honestly dump the entire AEM kit and get the AFX from NGK, it works much better.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
ok I don't think this helps you re-calibrate your actual AEM gauge, this is only so that you can get the correct information going into your data logger using his methodology for correcting it. The problem is that if your using the AEM gauge which we know is not working as a reference though this isn't going to work. This gauge kit uses a bosch sensor and its just not that accurate...

I would honestly dump the entire AEM kit and get the AFX from NGK, it works much better.

Oh ok . thanks for clearing that up . I wish there was a way . I have all digital aem gauges . It's nice that they all match but you live and learn. They are crazy expensive too . Oh well , just another expense :nonono:

boost4me

Banned
Yeah I have the dual gauge pod on the instrument cluster. I have the Aeroforce on the left and an autometer fuel pressure gauge on the right. It looks pretty good because they are not right on top of each other.

watman02

Established Member
I did all my tuning on the street with a AEM digiatal WB. have had no issues with mine it works great falls right in line with the narrow band o2's at cruise or light load of WOT. I also know ppl who use them on other cars with no prob.

as for a "LOADED DYNO" and mustang dyno is a eddie current dyno and can create load VS speed anywhere in the range of driving. It can also create more load than what you will ever see on the street with can run you higher in the Base fuel table and if your tuner didn't change the tables correctly at the lower load cells you could have a rich/lean problem there.
just my experience/2 cents

boost4me

Banned
I did all my tuning on the street with a AEM digiatal WB. have had no issues with mine it works great falls right in line with the narrow band o2's at cruise or light load of WOT. I also know ppl who use them on other cars with no prob.

as for a "LOADED DYNO" and mustang dyno is a eddie current dyno and can create load VS speed anywhere in the range of driving. It can also create more load than what you will ever see on the street with can run you higher in the Base fuel table and if your tuner didn't change the tables correctly at the lower load cells you could have a rich/lean problem there.
just my experience/2 cents

Bottom line... the NGK AFX matches exactly what the dyno reads side by side and the AEM DOES NOT.

Users who are viewing this thread