AEM Methanol experience (install/tune)

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I just wanted to post up my experience after installing an AEM methanol kit (#30-3000) and getting tuned.

First off the kit is installed in the trunk (pump & reservoir), and I have the methanol spraying pre-throttle body.

Secondly Im using a 50/50 mix. Boost Juice (50% methanol/50% water)

Third Im only running a stock eaton with a 2.8" pulley, stock injectors, stock MAF.

So the install is fairly easy. Just follow the directions on which wires go were and its a no brainier.

METHANOL_zps7a6cb045.jpg

AEM makes it easy by putting the wire colors on the actual controller. Hardest part was getting the hose from the trunk to the engine bay. After thats done we tapped the nozzle into my JLT rai. Since its carbon fiber I had to do it right before the throttle body since the rest of the intake is fairly thin. Since the kit is activated by boost you have to tap into the boost/vacuum line. Really easy as long as you have a little valve splitter. I believe the kit comes with one.

jynasybu.jpg

ypyhuhyz.jpg

enere4yb.jpg

Once the whole kit is hooked up you can do an easy test to see if the methanol is working. Turn the car on, unhook the hose from the nozzle in the intake and hold it away from the car. And have someone rev the car to get a little boost and if its working correctly some methanol should shoot out of the hose.

Tune time. I needed to have my car re-tuned anyway for going back to basically stock from a ported setup. Figured I would do two tunes. One for methanol and one without. The first tune which was without methanol and after some adjustments with the new tensioner and belt I was able to squeeze out 450rwhp and 465rwtq. A little disappointing since my very first tune I put down 467/472 but that was with a 2.76 BF pulley. Car was at 20* of timing (12 1/2 psi of boost) and it was fairly hot out. We then setup for the methanol tune. I was really curious to see what the boost would up to since Ive read a good amount about the positives of running methanol. Well long story short we added 4* more degrees of timing bringing it to 24* total on methanol and it didn't squeeze any more ponies out on the dyno. Put down the same power. But it did cool the intake down alot. Intake is cold to the touch. I wasnt able to get exact numbers on the temp but just from touch it was a night and day difference. So at least on my setup and the way its all hooked up there was no real significant positive when it comes to performance. :shrug:

Now if your tracking your car a lot or even boosting a lot when its hot, I think its worth having the kit to help cool everything down (safely). I had thought about going with a killer chiller but didn't like that you need the AC on. This is a good alternative. I dont really boost alot anymore since its a DD and I'm driving alot for school and work. For me I was going for more of a way to up the power and be safe with this piss 91 in Cali that we call gas. :lol: Just wanted to let ya'll know of my experience with it since I know alot of people have been wondering if its worth it.

Last edited:

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
Appreciate it, wish it was more effective but for it to be worth anything, I'm pretty sure itd have to be plumbed post blower, kinda like a plate kit.

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
Appreciate it, wish it was more effective but for it to be worth anything, I'm pretty sure itd have to be plumbed post blower, kinda like a plate kit.
+1
Thanks for the info... Letting us know how it worked. Post blower could make it work better as mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread