After all the hype, who here is actually buying?

Blackdevil77

Established Member
A lot of determining factors as to whether I buy this or not. One being price (obviously) which we don't know what it is yet, and no way am I paying ADM. The other is my finances at the time. Just started a career change, so I'm not totally sure where I'll be at the time of the cars release, but I probably won't buy the first year anyway. Finally, I want to sit in the car first. If it's comfortable, I'm in. If the seats are hard and too track focused/aggressive, I probably will end up going for a Hellcat or something. I don't anticipate the seats in the non-track version being too hard or aggressive anyway.

Anybody know when we'll learn more about this car? It's been silent since the release.

sqidd

Established Member
A lot of determining factors as to whether I buy this or not. One being price (obviously) which we don't know what it is yet, and no way am I paying ADM. The other is my finances at the time. Just started a career change, so I'm not totally sure where I'll be at the time of the cars release, but I probably won't buy the first year anyway. Finally, I want to sit in the car first. If it's comfortable, I'm in. If the seats are hard and too track focused/aggressive, I probably will end up going for a Hellcat or something. I don't anticipate the seats in the non-track version being too hard or aggressive anyway.

Anybody know when we'll learn more about this car? It's been silent since the release.

I don't see how the choice comes down to a GT500 and Hellcat. They're not even the same kind of car. One is a track focused weapon that can only be exploited at all on the track with the street shortcomings. The other is a street bruiser that does it's job fantastically well. Both are quite focused.....on two completely different jobs. I'm getting the GT500 because I will be doing a lot of track days. If I weren't, I wouldn't even consider it. I'd get a Hellcat Charger instead and enjoy the hell out of it on the street.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I don't see how the choice comes down to a GT500 and Hellcat. They're not even the same kind of car. One is a track focused weapon that can only be exploited at all on the track with the street shortcomings. The other is a street bruiser that does it's job fantastically well. Both are quite focused.....on two completely different jobs. I'm getting the GT500 because I will be doing a lot of track days. If I weren't, I wouldn't even consider it. I'd get a Hellcat Charger instead and enjoy the hell out of it on the street.

I’ll probably never take it to a track besides the drag strip, so if I do go the GT500 route, it’ll be the base version, not the track pack. For me it’s either Hellcat Challenger or GT500. The same can be said about the ZL1 not even being the same kind of car and being track focused, yet it’s very comfortable and enjoyable to drive on the street (non 1LE). I just don’t like the LT4

sqidd

Established Member
I'd buy the Hellcat for that. A big factor being how strung out the Hellcat motor is compared to the GT500 (it's not) and that the Hellcat has a more durable trans for drag strip stuff. Stock to stock they're both going to be durable. But if pulleys/tunes/e85 etc start getting thrown at the both of them the Hellcat will fare much better.

I'm a big Hellcat fan. If I could have both, I would.

A heads up, the base GT500 is still very, very focused. That one is a track car too.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I'd buy the Hellcat for that. A big factor being how strung out the Hellcat motor is compared to the GT500 (it's not) and that the Hellcat has a more durable trans for drag strip stuff. Stock to stock they're both going to be durable. But if pulleys/tunes/e85 etc start getting thrown at the both of them the Hellcat will fare much better.

I'm a big Hellcat fan. If I could have both, I would.

A heads up, the base GT500 is still very, very focused. That one is a track car too.

I do agree, the Hellcat motor is a monster in many ways. I’ve loved the Hellcats since they came out. Only thing diverting me from the Hellcat is it’s age. It’s been out for a while, something new must be coming down the tubes relatively soon, and the dealerships still don’t want to play much with the Hellcat prices (at least the last time I paid them a visit). I still have some time. Enough time that I can wait and see what all the info is on the GT500 before I make a decision.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Sadly, the rear diff is sketchy.
From what I can read, if you try to brace the rear-end to increase it's reliability on the strip, it voids the warranty on the rear-end. On the plus side, it appears that Dodge doesn't have a problem replacing a broken diff.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I do agree, the Hellcat motor is a monster in many ways. I’ve loved the Hellcats since they came out. Only thing diverting me from the Hellcat is it’s age. It’s been out for a while, something new must be coming down the tubes relatively soon, and the dealerships still don’t want to play much with the Hellcat prices (at least the last time I paid them a visit). I still have some time. Enough time that I can wait and see what all the info is on the GT500 before I make a decision.

The same could be said of the ZL1 and the new 2020 GT500, both cars are due a change in platform in the next couple of years. Concerning the Hellcat prices, I have found plenty of discounted Hellcats in my area and heavy discounts on ZL1's.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
A lot of determining factors as to whether I buy this or not. One being price (obviously) which we don't know what it is yet, and no way am I paying ADM.
Same here. I want the Track Pak and carbon fiber package and if it's over 90K,....I'm out.
I also want to order the car and have it the exact way I want it. Those would be my 2 issues.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

There will be FAR MORE people who buy the GT500 for a street bruiser than those who buy it for track days.

I agree the 500 is more of a track focused design, but his pre-buy comparison is a good one nonetheless.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
At this time I’d say a used non track pack car would be a nice buy for me and my needs.

sqidd

Established Member
There will be FAR MORE people who buy the GT500 for a street bruiser than those who buy it for track days.

Just because a lot of people buy the standard GT500 doesn't mean it's still not a very focused road course car.

Most people that buy Porsche 911 GT3RS's will never take them to the track. It doesn't change that it is a track focused car or that because it's a track focused car it has shortcomings as a street car.

Popularity contest do not trump engineering.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Just because a lot of people buy the standard GT500 doesn't mean it's still not a very focused road course car.

Most people that buy Porsche 911 GT3RS's will never take them to the track. It doesn't change that it is a track focused car or that because it's a track focused car it has shortcomings as a street car.

So you agree with me. What a waste of a tough guy post above.

Care to try again?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That's what @gimmie11s had posted.
lol

Dusten

Established Member
I'd love one. But as I'm basically starting my adult life over this summer, I'll be out of the new car market till probably 2022.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sqidd

Established Member
So you agree with me. What a waste of a tough guy post above.

Care to try again?

I apologize. I mis-read your previous post.

As far as the "tough guy" comment goes. I have a rule, I won't say anything online that I wouldn't say to someones face. Even if you're one tough SOB, there is always someone tougher.

Enjoy your weekend.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I apologize. I mis-read your previous post.

As far as the "tough guy" comment goes. I have a rule, I won't say anything online that I wouldn't say to someones face. Even if you're one tough SOB, there is always someone tougher.

Enjoy your weekend.

As long as you don’t mind sounding like an idiot, then I suppose that’s a damn fine edict to live by.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread