After lowering Exhaust hitting axle

hilaegis

Hope someone can help. I have searched and searched. I lowered car (2012 GT) with Steeda Sport springs with Koni STR.T shocks and added BMR adjustable Panhard. Now over bumps I get a metal on metal noise (sounds to me). I re-torqued everything. Panhard locknuts are tight and I used Blue Loctite.

It looks like the exhaust, Ford Racing, is striking the axle. I recreated the sound with the help of my daughter bouncing the car. I have loosened and tried to raise it up. I have less than an inch of clearance now. Is there a way for me to push that part of the exhaust up and secure it there or do I go to a muffler shop? The left side is higher and does not appear to be hitting.

I have a video of the sound from outside.
Thank you for anybody that can help.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
hilaegis,

Did you install new over-the-axle pipes? If so, the h-pipe may have drooped a little. Ideally, the h-pipe (or x-pipe) and the OTA pipes should be parallel (or slightly rising towards the rear) with the floor of the car. If drooping, here are the steps to take:
  • put a floor jack (with a length of 2x4 to protect the h-pipe) under the h-pipe but don't put pressure on the h-pipe yet,
  • loosen the clamps at the flanges to the catted pipes,
  • loosen the axle-back clamps (at the OTA joints), and
  • lift the h-pipe.
Once the the h-pipe is up,
  • tighten the joints at the catted pipe,
  • tighten the OTA pipes at the h-pipe,
  • tighten the axle-backs at the OTA joints.
Let the floor jack down and admire your work.

Another thing to consider is that the OTA pipes (if not stock) can rotate axially and can be pulled back some or pushed forward some (until bottoming out in the h-pipe). Rotating the pipes axially can increase space near the axle, and pulling the pipes towards the back helps even more. If you pull the OTA pipes back too much then the axle-back tips will stick out too far and then your friends will laugh and point.

HTH,

Chris

p.s.--Welcome to the forums!

hilaegis

Thank you. I will try this tomorrow. I took it to a shop and they told me $672 to cut and put 2.5 “ pipe in its place.

I like your idea much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyuk98GT

Established Member
Thank you. I will try this tomorrow. I took it to a shop and they told me $672 to cut and put 2.5 “ pipe in its place.

I like your idea much better.

hilaegis,

Yowch at $672 and the smaller diameter, too. My Lethal OTA pipes are 2.75" dia. and there's no contact and plenty of clearance. The only issue I have had is the panhard brace which needed a couple of washers the brace plate (on the passenger side) to give the pipe another 1/4" clearance.

edit
You're in Maryland where JPC Racing and Revolution Automotive and R&M are located. I know it's a big state but these are reputable shops (and there may be more if you know some fellow MD Mustangers) that can fix up the exhaust if it is still clunking.
end of edit

Please post an update (full of good news, we trust).

Chris

Last edited:

hilaegis

Thank you for the suggestion. Work was busy so I tried yesterday. I loosened all connections jacked up exhaust. However after tightening it sagged back down. It is the FRPP exhaust. It seems it is too heavy without any hangers between cat and the axle back.

I guess I will try one of those places. I am not far from JPC.

nyuk98GT

Established Member
hilaegis,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you've been swamped at work.

I know exactly what you mean by a lack of hangers between the h/x-pipe and the axlebacks. But I'm sure that JPC will get the FRPP exhaust sorted out - they have a lift, exhaust jackstands, and experienced hands doing lots of installs and know exactly what, where, and how to tweak everything for maximum clearance.

GL and please post an update when you can.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread