aftermarket belt tensioners

94slowbra1

Established Member
so im looking to get a new billet tensioner for my car. the main reason behind this is i want something that looks the part. i have no issues with belt slip or anything, just want something that looks better. so what does everyone run and how do you like it? thanks

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The Roush 3V tensioner is a bargain and works just as well as those that are 3X the price.
----> Engine

Roush%20tensioner.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I hear you on wanting something that looks better.

I'm actually running the factory inner and outer tensioners (like you, mine work fine, just needed some sprucing up). So, mine have been powder coated and I replaced the factory pulley with Metco's. I also upgraded my hardware. They work great and look WAY better than factory with the powder coat, Metco pulleys and Stainless Steel bolts.

Here are some pictures and the link to my powder coating project thread:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/powder-coating-project-engine-dress-up.1130980/page-1

Cobra Pulley 01.jpg

Cobra Pulley 02.jpg

Cobra Pulley 03.jpg

Cobra Pulley 04.jpg

94slowbra1

Established Member
thats an idea. looking at metcos site they dont offer a groove pulley for the supercharger tensioner?
great looking set up!

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
thats an idea. looking at metcos site they dont offer a groove pulley for the supercharger tensioner?
great looking set up!
You will probably have to call them or send them a message. If I remember correctly I was told they have the rib pulley, but it's not listed on their site for some reason.

I can't remember which one is ribbed. I do know the inner is 6 rib and the outer is 8 rib. However, only one of the tensioners has the ribbed pulley if I'm remembering correctly.

Thank you for the feedback. It's appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVT_Troy

Established Member

lucheski

Established Member
The Roush 3V tensioner is a bargain and works just as well as those that are 3X the price.
----> Engine

View attachment 1550175
Thank you for sharing this I was about to begrudgingly drop 600 bucks on a billet tensioner, but I would like to try the Roush first. I am spinning my 2.8 Mammoth pretty hard and I was getting belt slip at upper rpms with stock tensioner w/ metco brace. 3.0upper /2lb lower slipped too much so I had to drop down to 3.25/2lb (less boost than I'd like). I always noticed how much the braced stock tensioner jumps up and down during a dyno pull, the issue is not just the tensioner arm too weak and needing brace but alsto be the spring tension in the stock tensioner is not enough. The tuner decided to put on a super short belt that im sure took 2 or 3 people to put it on which eliminated slip. However I cut the belt off after 2k miles since I am concerned about accelerated front bearing wear and issues running a tight belt. The tensioner with a heavier spring is the right way to go IMO. I will be testing the 3v tensioner with my setup

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Why or how can you say that without doing actual research between the 3v tensioner and aftermarket pieces. I’m sure the 3V tensioner is robust but you’ve collected no tangible data.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That's an off-the-cuff remark from what others have told me who have tried a couple of the "popular" ones, but if you really think spending a whole lot more makes them that much better, give it a shot. I didn't need to do that since I could tell by how solid the Rousch piece is that it is more than up to doing what it needs to do. If there's more "data" other than visually verifying belt slip (and no boost loss here either), feel free to post it up. Like just about everything on my site, I wouldn't put it up there if I doubted how well it would function.

What is the spring rate of the roush tensioner?

Don't know. Contact Roush and ask.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
That's an off-the-cuff remark from what others have told me who have tried a couple of the "popular" ones, but if you really think spending a whole lot more makes them that much better, give it a shot. I didn't need to do that since I could tell by how solid the Rousch piece is that it is more than up to doing what it needs to do. If there's more "data" other than visually verifying belt slip (and no boost loss here either), feel free to post it up. Like just about everything on my site, I wouldn't put it up there if I doubted how well it would function.

Don't know. Contact Roush and ask.

I’m not doubting that the Roush piece is a solid at all. Your statement said that it was just as good as aftermarket pieces. That statement is all I have a problem with.

It doesn’t matter how I feel about the Roush vs aftermarket, I’m just pointing out that your statement is an opinion with no research backing it up other than “ it feels solid”. That means nothing.

A better statement would be “ The Roush piece feels as solid as aftermarket pieces but I’ve never actually tested any of them. I bought the Roush piece and i have yet to experience belt slip with it. It’s also a third of the price, Roush wins my vote”. To make it even more simple you could have put “I feel that the Roush is just as good”. People respect your opinion here as you’ve collected a ton of information in this platform. I think it’s your responsibility to seperate facts from opinions. There is nothing wrong with giving you opinion but state it as such. This is the same for many things you post.

MG0h3

Established Member
I hear you on wanting something that looks better.

I'm actually running the factory inner and outer tensioners (like you, mine work fine, just needed some sprucing up). So, mine have been powder coated and I replaced the factory pulley with Metco's. I also upgraded my hardware. They work great and look WAY better than factory with the powder coat, Metco pulleys and Stainless Steel bolts.

Here are some pictures and the link to my powder coating project thread:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/powder-coating-project-engine-dress-up.1130980/page-1

View attachment 1550243

View attachment 1550244

View attachment 1550245

View attachment 1550246

Damn man that looks good. Ive got my Racebronco duraflex hood here needing some paint if ya want to take a stab at it sometime...

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought the Steeda Tensioner for the 3V for $100 new.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I’m not doubting that the Roush piece is a solid at all. Your statement said that it was just as good as aftermarket pieces. That statement is all I have a problem with.

It doesn’t matter how I feel about the Roush vs aftermarket, I’m just pointing out that your statement is an opinion with no research backing it up other than “ it feels solid”. That means nothing.

A better statement would be “ The Roush piece feels as solid as aftermarket pieces but I’ve never actually tested any of them. I bought the Roush piece and i have yet to experience belt slip with it. It’s also a third of the price, Roush wins my vote”. To make it even more simple you could have put “I feel that the Roush is just as good”. People respect your opinion here as you’ve collected a ton of information in this platform. I think it’s your responsibility to seperate facts from opinions. There is nothing wrong with giving you opinion but state it as such. This is the same for many things you post.

It was stated that way, and stand by my opinion, since a multitude of people have reported in as to how well it performs. This includes some that have used it on other vehicles after having a different brand previously. The guy that turned us all on to the tensioner was also a Roush employee who actually races and uses it.

I get e-mail all the time from people that have taken tips off my site and used them successfully, especially since I put my money where my mouth is. Even better if it's something that can save someone some coin. Goes the same with the combo of the Roush tensioner and Whipple idler that I use - gear that works. It isn't rocket science here.

I bought the Steeda Tensioner for the 3V for $100 new.
Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Better than nothing, but from what I recall, it is just the stock tensioner with a plate welded on to it for support. Price was right, though.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Better than nothing, but from what I recall, it is just the stock tensioner with a plate welded on to it for support. Price was right, though.

I was going to go stock but wanted something that looked better. I am not running some crazy combo that I am concerned about belt slip.

My setup will be a 2.3 TVS with 3.1” upper and stock lower. All Metco single bearing idlers. I may go with a 2lb lower but haven’t made that decision as I’m not looking to max out the blower. Just a fun family weekend car.

I post golden memes using the svtperformance.com mobile app

94slowbra1

Established Member
So I decided on the roush one. Found a deal I couldnt pass up, $60 brand new. Although it may not look as fancy as some others I think I can make it look good with either some power coat or polishing. And I haven't found any negative reviews on it either.
Either way it should look and perform better than my 15 year old stocker. Couple it with a matching metco pulley and I'll be set.
Will post pics once I recieve it

94 Cobra R

Same Ol Same Ol
Established Member
So I decided on the roush one. Found a deal I couldnt pass up, $60 brand new. Although it may not look as fancy as some others I think I can make it look good with either some power coat or polishing. And I haven't found any negative reviews on it either.
Either way it should look and perform better than my 15 year old stocker. Couple it with a matching metco pulley and I'll be set.
Will post pics once I recieve it

Where’d you get it at that price?

94slowbra1

Established Member
And here it is. Much beefier that the stocker. Dont know about the spring but it feels tougher to open when installing. It has a nice silver powder coat on it, not sure how I feel about it still. And I just emailed metco to see if the can make me a ribbed 76mm idler pulley to put on there. Literally everyone one of my pulleys on the supercharger belt are metco, would love for them all to match.
Anyway here are the pics
20190218_195851-2268x3024.jpg
20190218_195934-2268x3024.jpg
20190218_200932-3024x2268.jpg
20190218_200948-3024x2268.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
Thanks MG! When it warms up and I get some down time on the diecast cars we can discuss some options Senior.

Got a carbon one on the way now Hahahah. If I don’t like that look I’ll sell it and we can try paining the DF one. No pressure; if it doesn’t blend right I’ll paint the whole car.

Users who are viewing this thread