aftermarket k members

Eng90

Established Member
Hey guys,

since i havent seen posts about k members, i would like to know form our boss experts.

Is it beneficial to go for an aftermarket k member for track racing and for autocross ?

I have doubts in this subject that after market is most likely beneficial but will flex easier than the factory oem k member .

If sumone knows about this please share us your info...

many thanks,

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
As I answered your question on TMO:

I don't have any first hand knowledge but via research for my own future mods can offer this:

1. Avoid the lightweight tubular K-members. They are designed for weight savings for the drag strip. They are not designed for the loads inherent with a road course and auto-x.

I am looking at the Maximum Motorsports K-Member. Actually a little heavier than stock but much sturdier. Also has the ability to accept stock motor mounts and control arms.

MM K-member, Mustang, 2005-2014

Duane Black

Established Member
I feel like I am exactly where you are. The problem with aftermarket parts in the Mustang world is that most venders carry drag racing parts and remove weight be removing things like sway bars. I’ve looked at that bmr piece but several things stop me. One reason is it could alter engine location and screw up that cv measurement on my DSS driveshaft. Another is altering pinion angle. I also wonder about my safety in a front end collision with such a piece should that unfortunate day come.

I do know sn95 and new edge guys who autocrossed in those cars prime days and even today who swore by a couple of k members.

I’d like input from drivers who’ve run such a part on a s197 chassis too. And i too have observed the maximum motorsports piece in spec iron with nasa, it does its job

Duane Black

Established Member
It may also be noteworthy that sam strano sells no k members for these cars. Perhaps he’s not in with the venders. Perhaps he knows they’re useless.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
As I answered your question on TMO:

I don't have any first hand knowledge but via research for my own future mods can offer this:

1. Avoid the lightweight tubular K-members. They are designed for weight savings for the drag strip. They are not designed for the loads inherent with a road course and auto-x.

I am looking at the Maximum Motorsports K-Member. Actually a little heavier than stock but much sturdier. Also has the ability to accept stock motor mounts and control arms.

MM K-member, Mustang, 2005-2014

With the arms, you lose 80lbs I believe. Maximum Motorsports is the way to go for road course and autocross. And I agree, avoid the lightweight unless it’s a drag race car. The advantages of the uprising extra room and clearance they offer. I changed my turbo setup to keep the maximum motorsports. And by the way, the handling is worlds different! I had pieced my car together, k member first. Then bilstein coil overs from MM, then the panhard bar and now just finished the torque arm last weekend. Every step has added remarkable changes. Can’t wait to drive it with the torque arm. Project will be done this summer!

IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_4555.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry, just noticed that this was 11-14 group, so weight difference may be off a little. But still holds true of the differences that Maximum can do. I think it was the smoking tire that did a test on a s197 that was fully equipped by Maximum Motorsports, it’s was on MM website. I can’t say enough good things about those guys, they always had the answers when I called, always great to talk to, never pushed for more sales and let me buy a piece at a time instead of the whole box right up front. And it flat works!
IMG_0179.JPG

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Maximum Motorsports K-Member on my car along with their front sway bar. Yes, it is absolutely worth the price if you are a track rat. As mentioned, it is actually slightly heavier than stock but definitely stiffer and gives the whole front end of the car a much more solid/planted feel. Also helps correct the geometry on a lowered car.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
With the arms, you lose 80lbs I believe. Maximum Motorsports is the way to go for road course and autocross. And I agree, avoid the lightweight unless it’s a drag race car. The advantages of the uprising extra room and clearance they offer. I changed my turbo setup to keep the maximum motorsports. And by the way, the handling is worlds different! I had pieced my car together, k member first. Then bilstein coil overs from MM, then the panhard bar and now just finished the torque arm last weekend. Every step has added remarkable changes. Can’t wait to drive it with the torque arm. Project will be done this summer!

View attachment 1547035View attachment 1547037

Please tag future pictures like this as NSFW, thank you

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Please tag future pictures like this as NSFW, thank you

IMG_5478.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG

I did change out the turbo setup from the cute little 57 mm hp kit to cgfab and NRE mirror image 61 mm. Because everyone loves a bigger set of twins. I got the rear suspension finally done last month, had the torque arm in a box for maybe 2 years. Was past due to get it done. Car goes to a fab guy in a month to get a cold side done, radiator shroud, and move the abs block. Hopefully running early summer!

Users who are viewing this thread