Age old debate 5.0 or eco boost f150

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Ultimately I’ll have to test drive and see the pricing between the two. The SC on a 5.0 seems so tempting, that would be a fun truck for sure. Sure is pricy though, and then bye bye warranty.

Yes and no depends on the dealer. As well as the moss warranty act would have to prove it caused the failure imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd take the 5.0 for sure.

The EB3.5 is a great little powerhouse, but the added complexity isn't worth the long term hassle IMO.

Really you should rent/borrow one of each and drive it a bit, including with a trailer. You might find that you really prefer the power of the 3.5, or that you hate how it drives, nobody but you will know...

My94GT

Established Member
I'd take the 5.0 for sure.

The EB3.5 is a great little powerhouse, but the added complexity isn't worth the long term hassle IMO.

Really you should rent/borrow one of each and drive it a bit, including with a trailer. You might find that you really prefer the power of the 3.5, or that you hate how it drives, nobody but you will know...
I’ve driven the ecoboost before and liked them. I haven’t driven the 5.0 and I haven’t drove either with the 10speed trans

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I’ve driven the ecoboost before and liked them. I haven’t driven the 5.0 and I haven’t drove either with the 10speed trans

The 10spd is a game changer for the 5.bro, it brought the 5 liter right in line with ecoboost performance numbers (stock for stock)...

My94GT

Established Member
Surprisingly I haven’t seen much reviews for the desiel F150, is it a flop or just too new to have much reviews?

I didn’t mention one because frankly the price difference alone is likely more then would be saved over the ownership of the truck for me. I’m still curious to see what people think of it, I see online many dealers have them on their lots now.

My94GT

Established Member
The 10spd is a game changer for the 5.bro, it brought the 5 liter right in line with ecoboost performance numbers (stock for stock)...
That’s what I’ve been led to believe with some prior looking. It makes it tempting to save even more as dealers are looking to move them.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Sounds like the 2.7 might be perfect for you. Drive one and I bet it's more than you're expecting.

I was in the same position as you and also drive 100 miles per day and was dead set on the 5.0 but since i was buying used, the best deals were on the 2.7s. I bought a 2015 2.7 screw fx4. I average 21mpg over the last 20k miles i've had it.

My father has the same truck as I but with a 3.5 and my 2.7 is quicker. Both untuned of course.

My94GT

Established Member
Sounds like the 2.7 might be perfect for you. Drive one and I bet it's more than you're expecting.

I was in the same position as you and also drive 100 miles per day and was dead set on the 5.0 but since i was buying used, the best deals were on the 2.7s. I bought a 2015 2.7 screw fx4. I average 21mpg over the last 20k miles i've had it.

My father has the same truck as I but with a 3.5 and my 2.7 is quicker. Both untuned of course.

Do they offer the 2.7 in the platinum? I’ve drove one in an xlt and it was nice but the 3.5 felt like it had more power.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Want a truck, that'll make it to 200K miles with the least issues. Go 5.0 IMO. EB just has more moving parts to deal with.

That's just my opinion, I've never owned either truck.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
2017 5.0 Supercrew here. 19mpg average.
I sold my Cobra a few months ago and being a child of the 60's I sure love the sound of that 8. I can't speak to the performance compared to the Ecoboost.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Fuel mileage in the EcoBoost compared to the 5.0L all depends on how you drive it, and the altitude you drive it at.

this, you have to stay pretty light on the go pedal..even just roughly 1/4 throttle and you're leaving everyone way behind at a light in normal traffic. My truck being a 12 isnt comparable but my wife routinely gets 1-1.5mpg better than me when she drives it for any length of time

Do they offer the 2.7 in the platinum? I’ve drove one in an xlt and it was nice but the 3.5 felt like it had more power.

i dont think the 2.7 is an option in that truck

My94GT

Established Member
IMO. If you are going to keep it stock and get rid of it before 100k miles, get the eb. If you plan to mod or keep it to 200k or so get the 5.0.
I put a touch over 2k miles on my car a month just commuting to work. I really would want to see 150-200k out of it.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
George Washington fought for your rights to own a V8, not some euro eco v6.
Don't let him down.

Were you looking at Trackhawks at one point? Or am I confusing posters on here?

Can't go wrong with either engine. If bone stock/want to go fast for 1k-2k, go 3.5TT.

Long term, guess I'm more old fashion and go 5.0 for a "simpler" engine.

My94GT

Established Member
George Washington fought for your rights to own a V8, not some euro eco v6.
Don't let him down.

Were you looking at Trackhawks at one point? Or am I confusing posters on here?

Can't go wrong with either engine. If bone stock/want to go fast for 1k-2k, go 3.5TT.

Long term, guess I'm more old fashion and go 5.0 for a "simpler" engine.

No that’s me, originally I was looking at an S6 or hellcat, then I was thinking trackhawk but we already have one suv. So I decided a truck will better suit me needs and I’ll just buy a fun car for weekends after the truck is paid off.

I’d still love to have a trackhawk but it already annoys me that any time I want to do stuff like pick up materials from Home Depot or make dump runs I either have to use a trailer or I risk damaging the interior trim of the wife’s XC90.

I was also looking at F250s but decided I don’t want to keep my fusion as a daily driver anymore and the fuel mileage alone would be crazy in that truck haha

I do agree the old fashion part of me feels like the 5.0 would likely be more reliable long term as well that’s why I was questioning how much better the new one is.

Gravik

Established Member
What's the reliability like between ecoboost and coyote?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My94GT

Established Member
What's the reliability like between ecoboost and coyote?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Not sure personally, I know my father has 90k on his 14 ecoboost and it’s treated him well so far but he’ll be selling it off in the next few months as well.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
The durability testing on the 3.5 EB motor gave phenomenal results. Mike Rowe narrated - pretty sure it is a 6-part series on YouTube. I would not question the longevity of the 3.5 EB any more than the 5.0. I think mpg is comparable between the two. It comes down to what you like...but try them both first. And as was said, give the 2.7 a chance while you’re at it. Might as well drive them all before you stroke a big check.

My94GT

Established Member
The durability testing on the 3.5 EB motor gave phenomenal results. Mike Rowe narrated - pretty sure it is a 6-part series on YouTube. I would not question the longevity of the 3.5 EB any more than the 5.0. I think mpg is comparable between the two. It comes down to what you like...but try them both first. And as was said, give the 2.7 a chance while you’re at it. Might as well drive them all before you stroke a big check.
The 2.7 isn’t available in the platinum so that rules that out from what I understand

Users who are viewing this thread