Aggrivated with coating.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The wifes C6 was coated and I loved it. Not sure of brand because it was done when we bought it.
When we bought her TLX I decided to have it coated. I knew who I was going to use because I've seen his work. Car needed light (1-2 steps) correction. Went with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra. 7 year warranty from the installer and wheel faces done.

When the car is clean it looks great, water beads like no end. Problem is it seems to attract dirt like a mofo. Run through a puddle or light rain and the car is dirty as hell and only a full hand wash will get it clean.
It attracts dust like no other and doesn't want to rinse off easily.
I seem to remember the C6 even though it was white it seemed like everything just ran off of it with a damn hose spray.

If I touch the car like to open/close the door or hood it leaves like a smudge. Almost like the shit is still wet or soft.
I didn't bring it back to him yet to get his opinion so I thought I'd check with you guys.
Just not happy with a $800 job that I though I'd be thrilled with.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
How long ago was it applied and have you topped the coating with anything since it's been applied (wax or sealant, etc).

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Redflag for me:

Price - $800 even on a smaller car such as a C6 is very cheap for a professional coating application with paint correction. At the least, $1,000+ is the norm. This is also cheap considering the cost of this serum is usually over $100 when purchased as an authorized distributor from Gtechniq.

What is the name of the shop? How long ago was this done? Was anything added after the coating and what kind of cure time did it have before you collected the car and drove it away?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
It was done in November. It has not been topped with anything else. Only used the products from Gtechniq to wash. The car was parked for 4-5 days before driven.
800 is a good price around here. There is plenty competition in a small market. It really is just catching on and becoming more popular.
The car also needed very little paint correction. It was almost flawless already.
It goes back to him for a maintenance wash in a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
It was done in November. It has not been topped with anything else. Only used the products from Gtechniq to wash. The car was parked for 4-5 days before driven.
800 is a good price around here. There is plenty competition in a small market. It really is just catching on and becoming more popular.
The car also needed very little paint correction. It was almost flawless already.
It goes back to him for a maintenance wash in a week or two.

Still seems fishy to me.

If prep wasn't done right, this could be the cause.

I did my coating on my Durango (pro-hobbyist detailer here) two years ago. To date, water still beads, washes are still fairly simply. My truck is DD'd 7 days a week, through rough Chicago winters and both winters with the coating, had salt on it for months at a time before a car wash took place. The wheel and glass coating I did have almost all but worn off, but, the paint coating is still going fairly strong.

There is absolutely no reason, even if you neglected the car, to have the coating fail and cause the issues you're stating in the OP, especially barely being six months old unless the job was not properly done and the car was not properly prepped.

Let us know what he says about the issues.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Maybe I made it out worse than it is? Maybe the color plays a part in why it looks so dirty?
I remember the vette with dust I could just rinse it and dry with MF towel and it was clean.
Even dust seems to stick to this and I have to hand wash the whole thing to get it clean again.

Here’s his FB post when it was done. He’s done several friends cars and all are happy. Maybe I’m being anal.
Don’t get me wrong it Beads it’s ass off. When it’s clean it is clean.
I haven’t mentioned this to him yet as I wanted opinions from you guys.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Maybe I made it out worse than it is? Maybe the color plays a part in why it looks so dirty?
I remember the vette with dust I could just rinse it and dry with MF towel and it was clean.
Even dust seems to stick to this and I have to hand wash the whole thing to get it clean again.

Here’s his FB post when it was done. He’s done several friends cars and all are happy. Maybe I’m being anal.

One of the huge benefits with coatings is to eliminate having to do a full, thorough hand wash to get it clean. This does depending, though. If the car was driven through mud, its understandable just using a hose to get it clean. But, if it is just mild/light dirt from driving a week or two, it should be fairly simple and using a hose with a foam cannon should nearly clean the entire car, leaving certain spots with touch ups.

The car looks good, but, if only after 6 months it is "difficult" to get light dirt and debris off of the car, something is up.

If I were to wash my truck once a week, it would take me 45 minutes to an hour to wash it. I let it go longer, it will take me longer to clean it. Again, this is with a $40 coating and one that's been on the truck through winters and caked in salts for months. Your coating should be holding up like a champ and still work like new six months ago.

I'd just bring it to his attention and see what he says. Doesn't hurt to ask, considering you spent a nice coin on the coating.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Contact your installer. That's an excellent product with some serious self-cleaning and hydrophobic properties. Keep us posted.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
^^^You can use one of those or look into a pressurized foaming sprayer. I know a few people who use those for maintenance washes on coated vehicles with good results.

02JoeGhost

Boost it hard
Established Member

Interesting to read this. I know the owners brother very well of that detail business and both do excellent work. I would contact him and let him know your issues and I am confident he will get you taken care of.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Interesting to read this. I know the owners brother very well of that detail business and both do excellent work. I would contact him and let him know your issues and I am confident he will get you taken care of.

I have no doubt. Alex seems to be a good guy. I spent a lot of time talking to him before I did it.
I was just surprised that it acts differently than the last car I had coated.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread