aging of car/tune questions

srdigital

Established Member
Howdy,

Recently bought my first 2003 terminator. been piecing together the history of the car from previous owners and some internet sleuthing.

Mildy moded (pulley, idlers, FIPK, home port on plenum, PPRV delete w/ KB disc, high-flow catted x, Afco H/E). Fuel pumps were near maxed on the last pull (100 octane/more timing) and a 91 octane 'safe' tune was ultimately provided.

After the tune, a BAP was installed and nothing else modified since 2012. regularly maintained/serviced etc. about 25k miles since the tune.

Would aging of the car alone, considering no mechanical changes/upgrades have taken place, warrant a complete retune? If so, what components or systems are likely to have changed significantly enough just from the sands of time, if any?

I have no issues paying for a retune, but I need understanding of why, at least, it would be needed.

I've had a career in classic mustangs, and so 'tuning' for me has always been a small flathead and tweaking jets. Having an ECU is a whole new game, and it's been fun learning, but I have a LOT to learn.

thanks for the input!

Curt@injected

If the tune was good in 2012 it should be fine still today. That said, it's always a good idea to have a modified vehicle you have recently purchased "checked" by a reputable local tuner just to make sure.

srdigital

Established Member
the local tuner is also who tuned it originally. i was told they would only do a complete re-tune and not a spot check and when I asked about aging of the tune all I got was "well how would I know?" . . . could I have a dyno pull elsewhere to confirm the tune from another shop?

04torchred

Established Member
the local tuner is also who tuned it originally. i was told they would only do a complete re-tune and not a spot check and when I asked about aging of the tune all I got was "well how would I know?" . . . could I have a dyno pull elsewhere to confirm the tune from another shop?

I agree with above if the tune was good back in 2012 it should be fine now unless something mechanical has changed to cause an issue.

[bcolor=transparent]If you have a wideband and can log the car I would just go rip a pull on the street and make sure the AFR and timing seems in check. AFR should be 11.5-11.7 and depending on your boost level I would think 16-18* timing should be safe on 91 octane. I would think driveability improvments might be a reason to retune as I am sure a tuner has learned a ton in 7 years![/bcolor]

Users who are viewing this thread