Airaid Cold Air Intake Cover Discoloration

fuelforfire87

Established Member
So I've only had my car through the carwash twice and I already noticed the aluminum cover is starting to get discolored. At first I thought it was just water or soap spots but I could not remove it with detailer or window cleaner. The only thing that helped was using some chrome/metal polish that I had lying around, and even then it still didn't get rid of everything. I believe the water is getting in there from the hood vents. Anyways, anyone else with the airaid mxp intake experience this issue? I've had good luck with them in the past but this intake definitely has some issues. The aluminum plate and clear plastic cover doesn't line up with the screw holes and now the aluminum plate is getting discolored. I probably should've just spent the extra money and went with the steeda intake. I just couldn't see spending 400 dollars on something that reuses the bottom of the stock air box and is essentially just like the stock intake, just with a better filter and a bigger MAF housing.

20190606_172718.jpg

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Should have just kept the stock "true" CAI setup. No issues and it was free......

Yes I know their is not much to be gained from an aftermarket CAI but I have the 18 manifold and FORD made the stock 2018 CAI bigger for a reason so I wanted to get an intake that could flow more air.

Anyways big shoutout to Lethal Performance and Airaid. I let them know about the issues i was having and they sent me an entire new heatshield assembly. It fits like a glove. I will still have to be careful when going through the carwash though as I still see it possible for a small amount of water to get under the plexiglass cover and discolor the metal insert. I think blocking the hood vent or placing a towel over the intake when going through the wash would solve the issue. I did see a picture online where someone painted the metal insert to match the color of their car so I may do that eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread