airbag turn off

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
hey, I used to own a 2000 Ford Ranger. It had a key switch on it, to turn the passenger airbag off, in case you had a child seat in the truck. I was wondering if anyone has installed one in a Mustang. I would like to install harnesses in the car, and allow my son to ride in the front. I don't want to do it with the airbag still activated.

is this a do-able thing?

NickF1011

Established Member
You could wire some sort of switch into it manually, I'm sure. But I'd be verrrrrrrrryyy hesitant to mess with this sort of thing when it comes to safety of your kid.

93&99cobrasvt

Established Member
you could take the airbag out and just use the cover from your old airbag so there isnt a hole? That I think would work the best if your worried about your kid.

NickF1011

Established Member
you could take the airbag out and just use the cover from your old airbag so there isnt a hole? That I think would work the best if your worried about your kid.

That would certainly be the most fool-proof option.

Reminds me of something I thought of the other day: Just how reliable and safe are all of these millions of really old airbags going to be when some of these cars are 20, 30, or 40+ years old? I know they use some pretty solid engineering and gold terminals and what not to reduce corrosion, but age is still going to take its toll eventually, especially on vehicles that aren't stored properly. Thoughts anyone?

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I just figured if they installed these switches in Rangers, that it could be wired into my setup. I wouldn't keep the airbag off all the time, only when my son was riding in the front seat. I guess I will forget the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread