ALL 93 COBRA OWNERS PLEASE READ

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Don't look now, guys, but he has ordered the wheels in our backspacing! 8.5" rim with a 5.9" backspacing! OK, everyone get your tape measure out and see how that fits.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
That wheel is gonna take a 265 tire minimum right?

I want a set really bad. I wouldn't mind if it widened the track by 1/8" or so. Anymore than that and it might be tight. Very tight in the back.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I believe he said it would take down to a 245 tire (early on in the thread).

I could handle an 1/8" or so in extra track as well. I am somewhat undecided on running it in the front - seriously considering just running the wider rim in the rear and keeping the fronts on. But, with the way the paint is on my factory rims, I'll probably want all four when I see those shiny new ones on the back. I'm leaning toward a 275/40/17 or 295/35/17 (Nitto555R-they run a little narrow) and then a standard 245/45/17 in the front.

I guess peer pressure really does work! :D

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771
the way the paint is on my factory rims, I'll probably want all four when I see those shiny new ones
FYI, I have had two of my wheels repainted and clearcoated. I went to a aluminum wheel repair shop and they charged me $108 per wheel. Including breaking down the tire, remounting it, and balancing. It is already starting to chip after 3+ years though.

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Can anyone by chance explain to me how this new offset will compare to out stock offset? Is the extra space going to end up on the inside, with only an 1/8th of this extra inch on the outside?? I'm not all that adept at this offset stuff.:shrug:

Last edited:

'93#3989

Established Member
I emailed the company today expressing my desire to buy a set of the wheels. They didn't respond. So, I guess add me to the list.

I am interested in the Cobra spec. backspacing version.

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Update

This is the most recent news from Jeffo...

"timing and price
Timing not certain -- we are tooling a mold which is not finished yet that we were planning on shipping with the 93 cobra style. Since I have to wait on it I have tried to lighten up the 93 style as it is a heavy wheel when it was oe, and even heavier when we made it wider. Probably will leave overseas late this month, in our country through customs late May maybe.

Price, not a absolute, but probably as follows:
silver $579 or $589 ( a little more than the 17x9 bullitt as more aluminum and larger cap)
chrome $829 give or take a couple bucks.

Jeff"

:thumbsup:

cobra1993svt

Established Member
From what I've read from the above posts.... THEY ARE NOT EXACT REPLICAS. Isn't the back spacing WRONG????????.Someone posted that they stick out 1 inch from stock....BUT you can't see it unless you are looking down the side of the car.What is the real deal with these rims????

If these are such a GOOD deal then why are people still selling ORIGINAL 93 wheels in the $1000 to $1300 range. It seem to me if this was to come about then they would be trying to unload actual 93 rims CHEAPER!!!!!

Last edited:

'93#3989

Established Member
1993 wheels due to limited actual Ford production will always command a premium. No one would have to unload 'real' wheels cheaper.

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT THESE ARE NOT EXACT REPLICAS. THEY ARE 1" WIDER THAN STOCK.

Maybe you should read the previous pages once more and the corral thread that is linked in the first post of this thread to get more information regarding these wheels?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Originally posted by cobra1993svt
From what I've read from the above posts.... THEY ARE NOT EXACT REPLICAS. Isn't the back spacing WRONG????????.Someone posted that they stick out 1 inch from stock....BUT you can't see it unless you are looking down the side of the car.What is the real deal with these rims????

Initially, they were only going to be offered in the 5.0 offset, not our offset. We've got him talked into doing them in our offset. So, there will be two offsets available, standard 5.0 and 93 Cobra.

They are not exact replicas, nor do they claim to be. While they look identical in appearance, they are 1" wider. It plainly says so in the corral thread. And they will stick out 3/4" further than stock only if you get the 5.0 offset. If you get the cobra offset, they will stick out only 1/8" further than our stock rims.

If these are such a GOOD deal then why are people still selling ORIGINAL 93 wheels in the $1000 to $1300 range. It seem to me if this was to come about then they would be trying to unload actual 93 rims CHEAPER!!!!!

Uhhh, I guess you don't know much about the OEM market. An OEM part [/b]will always[/b] command a premium on a collectable car, no matter how many replicas are out there. That's why a set of OEM 93 Cobra floor mats can bring in $200+ when there are numerous replicas out there that look practically identical. There were only so many sets of 93 Cobra rims produced by Ford, and there will be no more, so the price will continually go up, even now that there are reproductions out there.

The reproductions are a great deal because:
• They allow us to get a 1" wider wheel on our cars and keep the stock looking wheel
• They are available in both 4 and 5 lug, which allows us to convert to 5 lug and keep the stock looking wheel
• They are available in our stock cobra offset, allowing us a wider wheel while keeping the correct offset
• For those of us who have the paint peeling/flaking off our stock wheels, we can pull the stockers off and store them, so they won't incur any more damage.
• We can now fit a larger tire (a 275/40 will fit nicely)
• For those that race, they allow race tires to stay fitted on a spare set of rims for track duty

Users who are viewing this thread