All Quiet on the Western Front | Official Teaser | Netflix

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
This looks truly wild. Seems anyone that watched something like this would always appreciate the military

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Does anyone know what the premise of the story is based on the book? Appears there is a personal story behind it and WW1 is just the setting?

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Does anyone know what the premise of the story is based on the book? Appears there is a personal story behind it and WW1 is just the setting?

It’s based on the novel yes. Follows a young German Soldier who forges a permission slip to enlist in the army then quickly realizes how terrible trench warfare is.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I hope the movie isn't sub-titled throughout....

U.M.

We watch everything with subtitles now. You catch so many more details. Often times you cant hear/understand what the person is saying no matter how many times you go back and try.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks good, too bad its associated with Netflix.
My sentiment, as well. The preview hints it will be decent enough. I'll probably watch it when and if it gets to Amazon Prime. I dumped Netflix and won't go to the local theater.

C2tuck

Established Member
We watch everything with subtitles now. You catch so many more details. Often times you cant hear/understand what the person is saying no matter how many times you go back and try.

Can. Not. Do. It.

I end up reading instead of watching the movie.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Me too, but when I have guests (daughter, grand daughter, SIL) I can’t rock out. Plus I’m going deaf, so subtitles will be a thing for me in coming years.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

I do the same. If you're watching something heavy it's nice to have confirmation (the kind that you are trying to piece things together). Plus you don't have other people asking "what'd he say?" Dubbing just sucks Squid Game being case in point. Switch back and forth and the dialog loses all emotion.

I find it interesting the subtitles aren't always 100% word for word though.

oldmachguy

Established Member
Spend a little time studying WWI and you’ll quickly get why senior military commanders are so vocally opposed to committing our troops to combat other than as a last resort. (Same reason why Gen. Mattis was such a big fan fan of diplomacy)

WWI was especially horrific. Google “Mustard Gas.” Seriously f’d up shit.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I one time heard somebody describe World War I as, “tactics had not caught up with technology.” Charging lines met machine guns, and they went to town doing their thing. Trench warfare sort of fell into place.

I haven’t read as much as I’m sure some of you have, but how awful that hell must have been. Wasn’t it supposed to be “The war to end world wars”?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I one time heard somebody describe World War I as, “tactics had not caught up with technology.” Charging lines met machine guns, and they went to town doing their thing. Trench warfare sort of fell into place.

I haven’t read as much as I’m sure some of you have, but how awful that hell must have been. Wasn’t it supposed to be “The war to end world wars”?

WWI is still the most memorialized war in the nations. Nearly every decent sized town has some sort of WWI memorial.

Users who are viewing this thread